Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Real music

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm starting this thread with a question. What music has had a huge impact on your life. I don't just mean what songs do you like, I mean what's that song from your youth that you hear and it suddenly triggers something in your mind and sends you back to a time or place that was important to you?

Edit: A lot of is are different ages, what I want to hear is what is important to you, so please post away. (And please excuse my contributions, remember I'm only 33. ;) )
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Although Van Halen is my favorite band of all time, it was Styx that first got me listening to rock. I always loved music, but before I overheard Styx playing from my sister's room, I had listened to the various 8 tracks Mom and Dad had, none of which were rock and roll. (Mind you my parents were in their early 50's at this time, I was 12.)

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • max.patch wrote:

first concert that i took a date too. pirates world. dania, fl.

Pirates World. Now you are bringing back memories of growing up in South FL. :)

I remember a Monkey place too, but sure not what the exact name was. Probably around 8 or 9 when I went. May have been in Hialeah.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Milkman's mention of slow-dancing triggered this memory of a trigger song. My first ever slow dance. Bobbi Jo McKnight. Not a girlfriend or anything, just happened to be my first slow dance. She was at the dance with her best friend, who was with her boyfriend. I happened to be hanging out with them when this came on and the couple went out to dance. Becky (the girl in the couple) leaned over and whispered to me, "You can't just let Bobbi Jo sit there. Dance with her."

I always laugh about people slow dancing to this. I mean sure, the first part, but everyone stays (well, stayed, as I couldn't tell you the last time I was around where people were dancing and it was played) out there swaying slowly back and forth when it picks up.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • These two. Nights (and occasional full weekends) spent hanging out at the seawall in Okinawa, with my buddies Gilby and Blick. There were others in the group, but those two were my boys! Lots of music blared out of the car stereos, but Bon Jovi and the Beasties were heavy favorites.

youtube.com/results?search_query=bon+jovi+livin+on+a+prayer
    • Mama picking me up and dancing with me throughout the house. There were a bunch of these but this one was one of her favorites. When I heard it I knew I was gonna get snatched up and danced with,

Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Speaking of slow dances, Shellie and I and a bunch of our friends are going to the "senior" senior prom tonight. One of the local high schools held their prom this weekend at the rec center and they left it all decorated up real lavishly and we go in the Monday after and have finger food and a dance. They're really good kids. A bunch of the guys and girls come and dance with the single "seniors" who don't have partners. It's pretty cool.
    • Ok, one more.

I travelled to Europe by myself when I was 18. I had an Aiwa portable cassette player that my dad bought me in Japan...it was cutting edge!

I was on a train headed to Lyon France when we stopped and the train filled up with French soldiers headed home for a weekend. They were crazy...running and singing in the corridor. 5 of them sat in the car with me. I fell asleep listening to Bad Company and woke up to drool running down my face. For an 18 yr old in the company of 5 French soldiers, that was the epitome of embarrassment. So that is what I remember when I hear Bad Company. :D

Lost in the right direction.
    • Riding around in the famly car, listening to OLD country on a tinny AM station. Whenever this came on (whether in the car or elsewhere), Dad would always sing along, singing to Mom.

• First 45 I ever owned. 10 years old. Given to me by my uncle after he took me out into the garden and picked a mustard seed and put it in my hand and pointed to a mountain and said "you see this here mustard seed, you can move that mountain with that mustard seed". I had no idea what he was talking about then but I do now. This song will forever remind me of that moment.

• My grandpa owned a race track and after the races at night everybody would go to the A&W Drive-in and hang out. My mom and dad would take me and my baby sister (she wasn't even old enough to remember) Everybody was Beach Boys crazy. Everybody wanted to go to California or Florida. (This was Flat Rock, MI) I can remember everybody running around like Happy Days blasting the Beach Boys. Now that I think about it, I think my mom and dad were trying to hang onto their youth. I particularly remember this one. Everybody was acting like they were surfing. I was only about 7 years old. 1963. I remember moving to Florida when I was 13 in 1969 and this song still being popular at the beach.

• We were 15-16, Joe had a cassett player with a mix of all sorts of stuff.....Mac the knife, Rocky Mtn. high, Stairway....and this song 'aqualung'......with the Hi-Fi cassett player, we could barely make out the words. I met this girl.......her older sister had dated an 'undesirable' young man. She had all these albums of music that she didn't really dig. 'Thick as a Brick', 'This Was', 'Living in the Past, and THE entire Aqualung album. I was like.....Hey fellas wait till you hear this stuff !!!!!!!!!!!
      4 of us are still devout Tull heads and still get together when they tour.....even though 2 of us are no longer married...............(not me, but my friends Eric...and Jeannine) She goes on road trips to see them!

My X went to many shows........called them Jethro Dull ...............my 30 yr old, knows every word but couldn't tell you any song title or album name :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• First song I ever remember and every time I hear it can't help but thinking back to living in Puerto Rico.....

The other, among many, that stands out also had a PR tie in. We moved back to SC during Christmas and I remember immediately hating life. It was cold......nobody played baseball.....sucked. Eventually they played baseball when it warmed up, but not for long. That fall I was at a HS football game and there was a girl twirling a flaming baton to this.....

Blew my little young ass away. Been troubled ever since, lol
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Then there's this one.....

When I was at Clemson I met a guy (Jeffery Budka) called "Budman". He was a roommate of my best friend from HS who went to a two year school nearby. Budman wanted me to take him to Athens to see some friends he grew up with in Jamestown, NY so I did. Those friends were 10,000 Maniacs and they were playing in the Mad Hatter. The club had a house for the bands to stay in and we spent two nights there. Hit it off with Natalie right away when in a panic they realized they a lot of pot, but no means of smoking it. I had walked to the fridge to get a beer and came back to them trying to fashion a pipe out of tin foil. I pulled a one hitter and a pack of papers out of my pocket, "here, try this.....".

We ran into each a few times while I was in the Navy and they were playing nearby and then a few time in ATL after I got out. Haven't seen her since they split up. I've heard rumors that her mom has a consignment shop in Greenville, but knew better than to try and find out if that was true.

Last I heard of Budman was when she told me he was guiding tours into the Grand Canyon on donkey back.......Budman was 6-8, I hate I'm going to die without ever getting to see that in person.
    • And then there's Maria.......oh my......and the night at the Moonshadow Saloon in ATL when my buddy Mark fell through the ceiling tiles into their room backstage after a show. He crushed the coffee table on his eloquent landing, looked up and said, "Hey...." then took off when one of the bouncers got after him. His wife was PISSED!!! Lmao. he came back, told them to send him the bill which he later paid. Good times.