Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Clarity on an AT thru-hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Clarity on an AT thru-hike

My trip is less than 2 months away! I am psyched!
      My journey started back last September with research and reading. In October I took a Wilderness Emergency class and started the process of purchasing my gear. February started off with AT school and my first overnight in my tent on top of a mountain!
      Since then, I've attended the AT Kickoff, hiked the approach trail and spent a night in the Springer Mountain shelter laughing harder than I've laughed in years!
      I've day hiked up to Rainbow Falls in NC.
      Finally, I just finished 2 nights on the BMT and 1 night on the AT at Hawk Mountain Shelter. It was a campground full of folks on day 1 or 2 of their hopeful 2189 mile adventure...sitting back and listening to them meet for the first time, make plans for tomorrow's hike, discuss gear (and find a smile in the fact that my pack was one of the lightest of the group...insert evil smile here :evil: )...all made me so envious I couldn't keep hiking north with them. Planning to be at trail days in May to spread some magic.

A pivotal decision was reached this weekend. I want to try to hike the whole thing. Starting in June makes it tough, so I plan to flip flop, starting my hike in Haper's Ferry and going NOBO to Katahdin. Start again at HF and go south and walk myself back home to Ga.

The LONGEST 2 months of my life is ahead of me. Hurry up June!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

The post was edited 1 time, last by twistwrist ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Awesome! Enjoy it and make memories.
      Already on it.You guys have helped me learn my way around this incredible hobby, so thanks a million! I'm lucky to have found this group. Thanks TJ! :thumbsup:
      I knew you belonged here when you were in trouble at TOS after your third (?) post. :thumbsup:
      in trouble after the third post- damn you're good.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Awesome! Enjoy it and make memories.
      Already on it.You guys have helped me learn my way around this incredible hobby, so thanks a million! I'm lucky to have found this group. Thanks TJ! :thumbsup:
      I knew you belonged here when you were in trouble at TOS after your third (?) post. :thumbsup:
      in trouble after the third post- damn you're good.
      Or really bad--which is also good. :P 8)
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • LIhikers wrote:

Congrats on your decision to do the whole thing.
      I'm jealous! 8o
      I'm going to have to make do with a few miles of Maine this summer.
      Maine this summer? Maybe we can hike a few days when I get up there! Since I'm starting in West Virginia, I should make it to Maine in late summer.

Here are some pictures from my recent adventure. :) Can't wait to get back out there! 31.5 more days of school (counting 2.5 sick days), and I'll be living the trail!
      Images
      • Bear's den.jpg

163.97 kB, 800×450, viewed 539 times
      • Disney on the kazoo.jpg

191.32 kB, 800×450, viewed 505 times
      • evenings in camp.jpg

44.37 kB, 800×138, viewed 530 times
      • Hawk Mt Shelter Kings.jpg

82.08 kB, 800×450, viewed 539 times
      • Hawk Mt Shelter.jpg

114.79 kB, 337×600, viewed 549 times
      • learning selfies.jpg

116 kB, 800×450, viewed 510 times
      • Our little BMT campground.jpg

195.89 kB, 800×450, viewed 525 times
      • Waterfall lunch spot.jpg

165.57 kB, 800×450, viewed 513 times

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Holy shiaat, I'm just over a month away from hitting the AT! One thing about working 3 jobs, times sure as hell passes quickly!

Updated my trail journal tonight if anyone's interested. trailjournal.com/twistwrist
      Have ya figured out what yer gonna do with the pup?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • My plan is not to take her unless my roomie moves out to a place where dogs aren't allowed. Then she's coming with me. Either way will be ok, but I'd rather not subject her to 2,200 miles of it. She didn't love the camping part. lol

• My hiking partner now has arthritis to the point he can't hike much so we're going car camping at Pine Glen and day hike a little on the Pinhoti this week end, several others from Birmingham will join us with their dogs...looking forward to a campfire and passing the bottle.
      Images
      • IMG_0603.JPG

127.76 kB, 800×600, viewed 474 times
      • 2012_09020002.JPG

149.16 kB, 800×600, viewed 519 times
      • IMG_0488.JPG

118.16 kB, 800×600, viewed 502 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

will post when I have WiFi. And will update my trail journal.
      I think I'll follow along with your trail journal.After all, anyone who knows the difference between lay and lie will probably be a pretty good writer.
      Oh that's easy. Sometimes my alcohol stove refuses to lie where I lay it. So I sing a lay, and tell a lie.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • NINE more days!
      I've got meals planned, fixed, and packed; clothing washed and treated with Permethrin and packed ready to go; everything on my list purchased and ready to be loaded into my pack. Holy crap, when you've been planning something for almost a year and you get to 9 days away, it's a pretty surreal feeling.

Do most towns have ATM machines accessible?

• twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!
      I've got meals planned, fixed, and packed; clothing washed and treated with Permethrin and packed ready to go; everything on my list purchased and ready to be loaded into my pack. Holy crap, when you've been planning something for almost a year and you get to 9 days away, it's a pretty surreal feeling.

Yes. Most gas stations will have a ATM machine inside
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

"the waiting is the hardest part" ~Tom Petty
    • Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

instead of using an atm, which charges a fee, if you're using a debit card, you can get cash back when you make a purchase at most grocery stores.
      its all good
    • socks wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

"the waiting is the hardest part" ~Tom Petty
      Only 32 more days for me. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

instead of using an atm, which charges a fee, if you're using a debit card, you can get cash back when you make a purchase at most grocery stores.
      Ahh, cool tip.
      I never use ATM machines outside of my bank in everyday life. What are the fees, like $2-$3??

• twistwrist wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

Ahh, cool tip.I never use ATM machines outside of my bank in everyday life. What are the fees, like $2-$3??
      That is about what I paid in 2013 and 2014. If doing a thru I would consider getting a Debit Card, but for only 7 weeks, I will probably just pay the fees the few times I need it, and try to use Credit Card whenever I can.
    • twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

You make a detail plan of the hike and worry about all the details....it's good for the first day, maybe three...and then comes freedom, do whatever the he** you feel like doing each day.
    • twistwrist wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

Ahh, cool tip.I never use ATM machines outside of my bank in everyday life. What are the fees, like $2-$3??
      I've never used an ATM machine except once, that was to see if the card worked.
    • mountain mike may remember this -- back in the dark ages when we thru'd there was one trail town (in maine i think) that did not have a bank so one day a week the bank came to the town so the residents could cash paychecks, etc.

kinda like a bookmobile for money.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

mountain mike may remember this -- back in the dark ages when we thru'd there was one trail town (in maine i think) that did not have a bank so one day a week the bank came to the town so the residents could cash paychecks, etc.

kinda like a bookmobile for money.
      You guys may have had it tougher in a lot of ways 20-30 years ago, but just think of the neat experiences and stories you have.