Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Clarity on an AT thru-hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

Congratulations on being the first Cafe Member to share their entire Thru Hike of the AT here! :thumbup:
      even though I liked it, am I missing somethin? Dakota Joe and the good German, Oz, jimmy jam, sorry if missed anyone.
      DJ and GG did check in a few times, but not regularly.TW (Clarity) was here every 100 miles with lots of pictures really sharing her experience with great prose.
      Oz was back on TOS.
      JJ was giving us great daily updates but unfortunately due to injury it was just a LASH.
      Please notice I said "entire Thru Hike of the AT here", with here intended to mean this website.

Hey, I enjoy everyone's updates, including HB's on the BMT, so not trying to slight any of them in any way (I am already looking forward to MM & HBs upcoming adventure). Just that hers was special in that it was first of the entire AT on a regular basis at this website.
      ah, I see now. Apologies if it sounded like a gotcha questions Astro, it truly was not my intent, just another brain fart on my part.
    • socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

Congratulations on being the first Cafe Member to share their entire Thru Hike of the AT here! :thumbup:
      even though I liked it, am I missing somethin? Dakota Joe and the good German, Oz, jimmy jam, sorry if missed anyone.
      DJ and GG did check in a few times, but not regularly.TW (Clarity) was here every 100 miles with lots of pictures really sharing her experience with great prose.Oz was back on TOS.
      JJ was giving us great daily updates but unfortunately due to injury it was just a LASH.
      Please notice I said "entire Thru Hike of the AT here", with here intended to mean this website.

Hey, I enjoy everyone's updates, including HB's on the BMT, so not trying to slight any of them in any way (I am already looking forward to MM & HBs upcoming adventure). Just that hers was special in that it was first of the entire AT on a regular basis at this website.
      ah, I see now. Apologies if it sounded like a gotcha questions Astro, it truly was not my intent, just another brain fart on my part.
      No problem Socks. While I hike slow, I talk and type fast, sometimes not taking time to make sure what I am saying coherent.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

DJ and GG did check in a few times, but not regularly.TW (Clarity) was here every 100 miles with lots of pictures really sharing her experience with great prose.Oz was back on TOS.JJ was giving us great daily updates but unfortunately due to injury it was just a LASH.

No problem Socks. While I hike slow, I talk and type fast, sometimes not taking time to make sure what I am saying coherent.
      much as may like to think my reading and comprehension is a cut above my schpellin' sometimes there holes that mysteriously eat my words.
    • socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

DJ and GG did check in a few times, but not regularly.TW (Clarity) was here every 100 miles with lots of pictures really sharing her experience with great prose.Oz was back on TOS.JJ was giving us great daily updates but unfortunately due to injury it was just a LASH.Please notice I said "entire Thru Hike of the AT here", with here intended to mean this website.

much as may like to think my reading and comprehension is a cut above my schpellin' sometimes there holes that mysteriously eat my words.
      same here but my brain does auto fill.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

DJ and GG did check in a few times, but not regularly.TW (Clarity) was here every 100 miles with lots of pictures really sharing her experience with great prose.Oz was back on TOS.JJ was giving us great daily updates but unfortunately due to injury it was just a LASH.Please notice I said "entire Thru Hike of the AT here", with here intended to mean this website.
      same here but my brain does auto fill.
      auto fill can be a real party treat at times and offer a gulf latch, and then at others times it can can make us look like real jack aces.
    • Astro wrote:

Do I get a bonus check for that? :P

It's been a whirlwind so far back home. Glad I'm getting back out into the woods for 3 nights this weekend! I miss the trail already!

When you have 11 minutes, check out Clarity on the AT part 1, from WV through CT.
      smilebox.com/playBlog/4e444d7a…d6a493d0d0a&blogview=true
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Astro wrote:

Do I get a bonus check for that? :P

It's been a whirlwind so far back home. Glad I'm getting back out into the woods for 3 nights this weekend! I miss the trail already!

When you have 11 minutes, check out Clarity on the AT part 1, from WV through CT.
      smilebox.com/playBlog/4e444d7a…d6a493d0d0a&blogview=true
      Hey, you already memories that money can't buy!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Astro wrote:

Do I get a bonus check for that? :P .................
      ...../
      .../
      \/ Bonus Check
      Bahahaha! That made me lol!

LIhikers wrote:

Thanks for the show. It put a big smile on my face and brought me to tears, both at the same time. :thumbsup:
      Sweet! Mission accomplished!

Yeah! Part 2 will take longer because I started taking video in MA. ;) Back on trail tomorrow for a bright and sunny 30 mile walk in the woods with my dog and my brother. Epic, memorable finish.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • max.patch wrote:

you can truthfully tell your brother that the springer to neels gap section is the toughest on the appalachian trail. backpacker magazine said so in an article about 5 years ago.
      Interesting. That tells me I have to definately get in better shape than I am now.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • My current problem is making it 600 feet up hill with no pack and I have to stop to breathe and slow my heart rate down to something that doesn't scare me.

And to think I was one of the fastest kids in 7th grade. Turned down the track team though, my parents didn't have the money.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

My current problem is making it 600 feet up hill with no pack and I have to stop to breathe and slow my heart rate down to something that doesn't scare me.

And to think I was one of the fastest kids in 7th grade. Turned down the track team though, my parents didn't have the money.
      Honestly Jim I can't do hills anymore (still hoping though one day I'll be able to) just to taxing, so untul that time i'm a flatland hiker/walker..nothing wrong with, plenty to see and do. :) all good.
    • JimBlue wrote:

My current problem is making it 600 feet up hill with no pack and I have to stop to breathe and slow my heart rate down to something that doesn't scare me.

I live near a similar hill and ascend it year round for maintaining durability. In winter snowshoes are required and during the other three...mountain bike.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

she's not done yet. :)
      now I am! ;)

My pup and dog joined me for the last 30 miles. And I summited with my little SOBO trail family on a 65 degree sunny day. Picture perfect ending!
      Images
      • IMG_20151207_140333958.jpg

126.78 kB, 337×600, viewed 161 times
      • IMG_20151207_133024349.jpg

108.19 kB, 337×600, viewed 178 times
      • IMG_20151207_132923257.jpg

190.3 kB, 800×450, viewed 168 times
      • IMG_20151205_131447292_HDR.jpg

119.12 kB, 337×600, viewed 158 times
      • IMG_20151205_173146119.jpg

91.99 kB, 337×600, viewed 163 times
      • IMG_20151205_093517457_HDR.jpg

209.36 kB, 800×450, viewed 158 times

• JimBlue wrote:

I think I can get some mobility uphills again. Its going to take some effort. I'm still under 70 years of age. I just need to get my siblings from leaning on me so much fo various things. Then I can spend more time walking and get my stamina back up.
      I still stop to pant every few hundred feet of elevation. It doesn't keep me from slogging on. That strategy has seemed to work for a number of peak-bagging expeditions.

Of course, I don't have any diagnosed problems. If your doc tells you that you're in serious danger of exploding, I suppose you should mostly follow his instructions. At this point, I'm generally supposed to stay as active as I can tolerate. My limits seem to be orthopaedic ones.

I do warn hiking partners that I'm very, very slow. But I do get there eventually.

I think the best thing I ever did for myself was to start walking 2-3 miles a day with a pack I use a day pack, with a heavy laptop computer and some books and water bottles. Nothing that raises any eyebrows with security at work, but I think it's heavier than my pack for a weekend trip. That little bit keeps my body accustomed to having a pack on, so I don't have the "oh my fornicating deity!" experience picking up a pack on the trail. The other part of the trick is that I do it every single day, whatever the weather, which means that I don't wind up on the trail having issues with walking in rain or snow.

Fortunately, I live close enough to work that the walk (a little over a mile each way, or more if I decide to take the scenic route) is just part of my commute.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • There is a slight slope to the backyard. I have been thinking of walking around back there with about 10 pounds of gear in my pack. I was out there today, no gear or pack. Wasn't a problem. So, I can easily do that over the winter, and once in a while, camp out tere and test my gear and myself more.

And congrats Clarity on completing the AT !
      --
    • Hey all! Part 2 of my journey is scrapbooked with pictures and a few video clips. Check it out if you have 10 minutes! This covers the AT from Massachusetts through Vermont.

smilebox.com/playBlog/4e444d7a…d44493d0d0a&blogview=true

The post was edited 1 time, last by twistwrist ().