Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Clarity on an AT thru-hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thanks TJ! :) Towns and Wifi and battery recharge are less frequent up in NH. I've got the Wildcats today...all of it in one day. Then I think I'm basically finished with the Whites. :) Oh I've got sooooo many amazing pictures! I wish I had time to post a bunch of them here. Here's one of my "trail family" at the top of the Washington. I met these guys back at Trail Days before I was even on trail. Then I met them again on my very first day on trail, June 5. Didn't see them again until Hanover, but since then, they've been stuck with me. :) Awesome group!

800 mile journal

The 800th mile of this journey has brought with it many bruises, a heavier pack to carry full of cold weather gear and mountains more brutally grueling and more richly rewarding than any other on the Appalachian Trail! Gone are the twenty mile days of hiking solid speeds of three miles per hour. Miles in the White Mountains of New Hampshire become impossibly long with speeds as slow as one mile an hour at times. The trail ranges from mud bogs that behave like quicksand where one misstep sends you into mud up to your knees; ceaseless, slippery, entangling tree roots grabbing ahold of your foot at every opportunity; the steepest ups and downs of endless rock climbs, hands replacing trekking poles as the most useful navigation tool. Exhilarating yet utterly exhausting ascents and terrifying "scoot down on your butt, slide and hope" descents are abundant up here. The trail has also provided delightful days of walking through numerous fields of wildflowers and snacking on wild apples and blackberries along the stroll. Days have included climbing up waterfalls and fording creeks whose footbridges have washed out (kind of scary!). At times there are breathtakingly epic views and other times of cold, thick, disappointing fog blanketing the view from the summit. There have been days of sunny heat where a 30-foot bridge jump into the river below is a delight and days with a 100% chance of heavy rain which resulted in a "zero day" spent with a pretty cool friend. :) There have been nights around a campfire enjoying a reunion with friends from early in my hike; nights in a beautiful cabin feasting like a queen with my 85-year old date, a lively couple, and a fellow hiker; nights spent stargazing while camping in an open field.
      As with all the miles that have come before, the people a hiker encounters along the trail enrich the journey to a whole new level. For example, was trail angel Daniel who allows hikers to pitch a tent in his gorgeous mountain streamside lawn. The evening included a ride to the local Woodstock farmers market! My last night in Vermont was spent in a garage hostel with a fun group of hikers at the "pancake house", a place known to hikers only by word of mouth where good Samaritans provide food, drink, and shelter to hikers passing through. Walking into New Hampshire, Elm Street, the street of trail magic, immediately welcomes us with coolers of goodies at the end of the residents' driveways. The town of Hanover offers hikers free treasures including pizza, donuts, and fancy bagels. There was roadside hot dog trail magic and the "Ice Cream Man", or Mr. Bill. He owns a house right on the AT and invites hikers to come over for ice cream and croquet lessons! I had the honor of accompanying him to his neighbor's house for the best meal I've had on trail! Lively conversation ensued with this uniquely diverse group. My first day in New Hampshire brought me the gift of a perfectly timed reunion with hiker friends I have known since before my walk began...excited to have found in them a trail family. Enjoyed sharing the initiation to the Whites with Guardian who drove down to hike with me a few days. Abundant laughter, conversation, and sharing of experiences end nearly every exhausting day out here.
      This section of trail brought punishment to the body and awe to the soul. This 800 began the biggest challenge on which I have ever embarked. Loving every day!
      Images
      • Washington.jpg

105.46 kB, 800×450, viewed 285 times
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

The post was edited 1 time, last by twistwrist ().

• TW;

Once again your descriptions of encounters with fellow hikers and providers of trail magic reinforce my experiences. Folks I've encountered during a variety of hiking experiences remain the most interesting.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Maine is ass kicking. Way harder than even the Whites in NH!
      Images
      • received_1486210045025517.jpeg

73.37 kB, 337×600, viewed 278 times
      • received_1486210645025457.jpeg

109.37 kB, 337×600, viewed 296 times
      • received_1486210568358798.jpeg

116.3 kB, 337×600, viewed 282 times
      • received_1486079278371927.jpeg

103.17 kB, 337×600, viewed 282 times
      • received_1486079111705277.jpeg

91.41 kB, 337×600, viewed 292 times

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • 900 mile journal, New Hampshire to Maine

The trail of many forms took on a whole new life of its own with this hundred miles. The Appalachian River, the Appalachian Swamp, the Appalachian Boulder Field, the Appalachian Mudpit are just a few of the trail's daily identities. New Hampshire, which the Appalachian Trail Conservancy rates an 8 in regards to difficulty level, (appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/terrain-by-state), gave way to Maine, the only state on the AT rated a 9. The famous White Mountains begin in New Hampshire. Three of the AT's top seven most difficult climbs are nestled among numerous equally challenging ascents and descents in the Whites. Free shelters and campsites, ubiquitous in 2,107 miles of the AT, are replaced by campgrounds with fees and fancy, expensive huts with running water and a huge population of touristy day hikers. These huts offer a few thru-hikers a daily "work for stay". Lake of the Clouds Hut at the base of Mount Washington was my work for stay score! Wiping tables and sweeping floors after dinner landed me a free stay and dinner leftovers!

The Presidential range including Mount Madison, Mount Eisenhower, Mount Washington among others allowed for beautifully clear views and very warm, muggy days with hours of walking above treeline under the blazing sun. Every step was lined with a crystal clear, 360 degree view of the tiny world existing 4,000 feet below...miles walked at such high elevations that the distant trees looked small enough to belong on the lawn of a dollhouse. With these incredible views came steeper climbs, some of which included fun, challenging rock scaling while others were laden with terrifying bouldering through an unmarked trail maze where one misstep could end one's hike or worse.

As the miles in New Hampshire dwindled to single digits, hikers prematurely celebrated being "out of the Whites". Southern Maine, (the only 9 on trail, remember?), came on like a starving, ferocious lion. The jungle gym of rocks and roots jumped three levels from anything else on trail. Car sized rocks and boulders, separated by deep cracks that lead to some dark, bottomless abyss made up the Mahoosic Notch; aka the hardest mile on the entire Appalachian Trail. Yes, it was terrifying! Southern Maine brought spots so difficult to traverse that at one point, I had to drop my pack down below me and watch it tumble and flip its way to the hard stone ground Luckily, it fared mostly ok with one exception being my poor Poptarts, fortunately still pretty tasty as "microtarts". The first two days in Maine were the top two hardest ones in my eighty days on trail. Not a day went by in this hundred miles that I didn't question my ability to finish this trail. My confidence was tested, but I'm still walking.

This hundred miles brought with it myriad hiking friends! Guardian came up and hiked a few challenging miles with me, some of which he punished himself by hiking a second time just to help me get through them; Blade, the only friend I've found on trail that I enjoy hiking with on a daily basis; Laces, a solo female thru hiker in whom I found an immediate kindred spirit. Others who have shared large chunks of this 100 miles with me include Iron Lady, a tough inspiration who retired from a high rank in the Navy after 34 years of service; Huckleberry Thug who has a contagious smile, a cool sense of humor, and an impressive memory; Eight Paws, a couple thru hiking with their Australian Cattledog; Pie, Click, and Cheese Beard, the frequent causes of ab working laughter 'til the tears come! A nero day, (a near zero mile day), spent in the woods with this group cooking hotdogs on a fire, laughing at hilariously goofy slow motion photography, and sharing pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream provided some of the most memorable moments of simplicity thus far.

Life out here is not easy. I'm nearly always hungry as it is impossible to carry enough calories to make up for the 3,500 a thru hiker can burn in a day. Knees hurt, gear breaks down, feet often stay wet for days from rain, mud, and stream crossings. Yet somehow, this life can teach a person how little one really needs to be gloriously happy. It's the time spent with friends needing very little to laugh quite a lot, the moments of clarity on a magical mountaintop, the reflection time one has along the way that define the journey. It's most definitely the journey not the destination that makes every step worth it.

Miss all my family and friends back home more than you know.

• I've had only one point where I had to resort to that. The others I was able to navigate with my pack or pass it along to someone who was hiking with me. My bear rope is in the very bottom of my big ass food bag. Wouldn't have been able to dig that out in that particular moment. In Rangely, Maine today hoping the worst is behind me.

Struggling in a bit of a slump the past week. Maine and its trail just hasn't been fun for me. This is the first time I'm struggling with motivation to continue and fighting urges to take a long break. Hoping this slump will pass. Sucks feeling this way.

• twistwrist wrote:

Struggling in a bit of a slump the past week. Maine and its trail just hasn't been fun for me. This is the first time I'm struggling with motivation to continue and fighting urges to take a long break. Hoping this slump will pass. Sucks feeling this way.
      Keep pressin' on...many folks are carrying you in their thoughts.

Regarding your 900 mile post, just when I think I've read your best writing you surpass yourself.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • twistwrist wrote:

I've had only one point where I had to resort to that. The others I was able to navigate with my pack or pass it along to someone who was hiking with me. My bear rope is in the very bottom of my big ass food bag. Wouldn't have been able to dig that out in that particular moment. In Rangely, Maine today hoping the worst is behind me.

Try looking at this way, this is supposed to be the hardest part you will do. The southern half after this will probably feel like a breeze. And the views are supposed to be wonderful, so try taking your time and soaking them in.

I appreciate your honesty and sharing all of this so I know what I need to prepare for over the next 2 summers. Hang in there, you are an inspiration for me (and probably others) and we all know you can and will do it! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

All good advice. Don't forget the one about not making a major decision on a bad day. We're all cheering for you.
      That one kept me going when it rained everyday for 3 weeks straight. When I finally got to a good day (no rain) I was committed by that point.
      You probably should be committed for hiking 3 weeks in the rain :D
      Just joking, just joking.
      The sad part is that the general public would think you're crazy. :(
      Too bad for them, they just don't get the whole idea of hiking and backpacking.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

All good advice. Don't forget the one about not making a major decision on a bad day. We're all cheering for you.
      That one kept me going when it rained everyday for 3 weeks straight. When I finally got to a good day (no rain) I was committed by that point.
      You probably should be committed for hiking 3 weeks in the rain :D Just joking, just joking.
      The sad part is that the general public would think you're crazy. :(
      Too bad for them, they just don't get the whole idea of hiking and backpacking.
      How true. Most folks I know whom express amazement of my choice to hike, camp and bike ofttimes in inclement weather are couch potatoes.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • twistwrist wrote:

I've had only one point where I had to resort to that. The others I was able to navigate with my pack or pass it along to someone who was hiking with me. My bear rope is in the very bottom of my big ass food bag. Wouldn't have been able to dig that out in that particular moment. In Rangely, Maine today hoping the worst is behind me.

Have some beer...it helps a lot when things suck.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

As long as the beer doesn't suck too.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

As long as the beer doesn't suck too.
      After the first six they all are good.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Thank you all a ton for your encouragement and cheerleading along the way. Things are better. I'm in Stratton, ME today. Only 188.2 miles to go in this half of my journey. Even through the suck, I've got this! :) The last few days have been more enjoyable and I've found my stride again.

You all kick ass. Thanks again for your kind words. :)

• twistwrist wrote:

Thank you all a ton for your encouragement and cheerleading along the way. Things are better. I'm in Stratton, ME today. Only 188.2 miles to go in this half of my journey. Even through the suck, I've got this! :) The last few days have been more enjoyable and I've found my stride again.

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better. You're right, you got this. :thumbsup:
    • twistwrist wrote:

Thank you all a ton for your encouragement and cheerleading along the way. Things are better. I'm in Stratton, ME today. Only 188.2 miles to go in this half of my journey. Even through the suck, I've got this! :) The last few days have been more enjoyable and I've found my stride again.

you go,girl.
      its all good
    • While finishing a section I missed on the PCT I had the pleasure of dining with Yogi & D-Low. His quote about the CDT later became epic. "Embrace the Brutality" Enjoy the suck. At least in ME it comes with rewards. The rest of you hike will be a walk in the park. Just make sure you stop by Fort Bastion to see me & give me a heads up on what you need for resupply & I will have it waiting for you. :D

The post was edited 2 times, last by Mountain-Mike ().

• i have no idea where Fort Bastion is, but sounds like a damn cool offer! Thanks!!

Hiked 20 Maine miles today in 7 hours. Beer is motivating. ;) I highly recommend Northern Outdoors in Caratunk, Maine to anyone hiking. They offer hikers a discounted stay in cool ass tents with electricity. Even if you don't stay here, they offer you free showers, hot tub and pool usage, and there's cpin laundry. Best? A friggin' brewery/restaurant on premises. Neroing here tomorrow. :)

• a few pics from Maine
      Images
      • IMG_20150901_100319243.jpg

117 kB, 800×450, viewed 190 times
      • IMG_20150901_162503589_HDR.jpg

182.27 kB, 800×450, viewed 190 times
      • IMG_20150901_193233826_HDR.jpg

98.15 kB, 800×450, viewed 194 times
      • IMG_20150902_143229276.jpg

97.73 kB, 800×450, viewed 188 times
      • IMG_20150902_101636447.jpg

106.04 kB, 337×600, viewed 170 times
      • IMG_20150902_084026867.jpg

157.69 kB, 800×450, viewed 169 times

• twistwrist wrote:

a few pics from Maine
      The split plank bridge looks like the several I crossed in Yellowstone last month. Only had a few Scouts slip and fall in, but of course the remainder had to 'accidentally' follow.

New hat?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

a few pics from Maine
      The split plank bridge looks like the several I crossed in Yellowstone last month. Only had a few Scouts slip and fall in, but of course the remainder had to 'accidentally' follow.
      New hat?
      Yep! Found it deserted at Flagstaff Lake. funny, counting my beanies, I'm carrying 4 hats right now. I'm having a hard time letting them go to a hiker box and I haven't been to a post office in a while.
      Question for all of you, anyone here ever done the 100 Mile Wilderness? How long did it take you? I want to take my time but draw it out and have to carry 10 days of food.

• twistwrist wrote:

Question for all of you, anyone here ever done the 100 Mile Wilderness? How long did it take you? I want to take my time but draw it out and have to carry 10 days of food.
      i carried 10 days of food (plus an extra meal of a large sub and a beer for the first nite) and spent 8 days in the HMW. i didn't leave monson til after lunch so i suppose i could have made the trip in 7 days if i was on a schedule. most days were right at 12 miles; my longest was 17.
      2,000 miler
    • twistwrist wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

a few pics from Maine
      The split plank bridge looks like the several I crossed in Yellowstone last month. Only had a few Scouts slip and fall in, but of course the remainder had to 'accidentally' follow.New hat?
      Yep! Found it deserted at Flagstaff Lake. funny, counting my beanies, I'm carrying 4 hats right now. I'm having a hard time letting them go to a hiker box and I haven't been to a post office in a while.Question for all of you, anyone here ever done the 100 Mile Wilderness? How long did it take you? I want to take my time but draw it out and have to carry 10 days of food.
      I've also noticed the different hats, they are awesome...you rock those hats!
    • max.patch wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

i carried 10 days of food (plus an extra meal of a large sub and a beer for the first nite) and spent 8 days in the HMW. i didn't leave monson til after lunch so i suppose i could have made the trip in 7 days if i was on a schedule. most days were right at 12 miles; my longest was 17.
      Seriously considering downsizing from a Catalyst to a Circuit. But then I think about 10 days of food for the 100 Mile Wilderness. But perhaps I could get by with less.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • To be truly honest I only notice minimal difference between the Circuit and the Catalyst.
      If I was buying new again I would get another Circuit. I cannot see enough difference to justify replacing until the Catalyst becomes unserviceable.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Seriously considering downsizing from a Catalyst to a Circuit. But then I think about 10 days of food for the 100 Mile Wilderness. But perhaps I could get by with less.
      Why compromise on what you know you want with you, in a place where there is no compromising on what you will face?
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: