Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Clarity on an AT thru-hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Once working in our Social Security Dept I received a "dob in" that a person on invalid pension largely for poor eyesight was working driving a truck. I sent him for a medical review. It came back as downgraded to legally blind. In an interview he admitted he was driving his sons truck with his son sitting next to him being his eyes. His license was current while his sons was suspended.
      I may have mentioned something about it while having a beer with a friend who was a policeman but then again maybe I didn't because that would have been a breach of privacy.
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!
      I've got meals planned, fixed, and packed; clothing washed and treated with Permethrin and packed ready to go; everything on my list purchased and ready to be loaded into my pack. Holy crap, when you've been planning something for almost a year and you get to 9 days away, it's a pretty surreal feeling.

Do most towns have ATM machines accessible?
      You make a detail plan of the hike and worry about all the details....it's good for the first day, maybe three...and then comes freedom, do whatever the he** you feel like doing each day.
      Now there's some sage advice that Drybones is giving you.
      Don't fret when things don't go as you thought they would.
      Learn to adapt and be flexible, up to a point that you are comfortable with.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!
      I've got meals planned, fixed, and packed; clothing washed and treated with Permethrin and packed ready to go; everything on my list purchased and ready to be loaded into my pack. Holy crap, when you've been planning something for almost a year and you get to 9 days away, it's a pretty surreal feeling.

You make a detail plan of the hike and worry about all the details....it's good for the first day, maybe three...and then comes freedom, do whatever the he** you feel like doing each day.
      Now there's some sage advice that Drybones is giving you.Don't fret when things don't go as you thought they would.
      Agreed.
      All of my long hikes - the Bib, the AT and the Camino were planned to the nth degree - up until the end of the first day. After that - whatever....
      That's one of the reasons to hike. To get away from a regimented life.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Did I send you the link to stealth camping in the Whites?
      I knoe it's a long way off but want you to have it.
      Yu doing online blog or amythin so we can hike with you vicariously?
      I don't think you did. I'll PM you my email address.

hikerboy wrote:

well it would be nice if she checks in here once in a while as well.
      Definitely planning on checking in here when in towns.

LIhikers wrote:

Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

NINE more days!

Now there's some sage advice that Drybones is giving you.Don't fret when things don't go as you thought they would.
      Sage advice, and it's one of my "goals". I want to learn that...for once I want to be on nature's rhythm rather than focusing on how many more minutes I have until I have to ____ (whatever the hell my "next thing to do" is at the time).
      I've made a plan for the first leg only because I wanted to get a good idea of food. In Lightweight Backpacking Tips, it is recommended to plan each meal to keep from carrying too much or too little food. Until I get used to eyeballing it, I'll plan a leg at a time but allowing for variations as needed.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • A month or so in when you start loosening up to the point of actually being whimsical as opposed to your normal methodical, walk out of town with only your breakfast food and a 12 pack of beer. Trade the beers for lunch and supper as you go. Variety, it's the spice of life.....
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

A month or so in when you start loosening up to the point of actually being whimsical as opposed to your normal methodical, walk out of town with only your breakfast food and a 12 pack of beer. Trade the beers for lunch and supper as you go. Variety, it's the spice of life.....
      Trade beer?!???!!! Blasphemy! :P

Ok, ok, actually that's a damn interesting idea.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Foresight wrote:

A month or so in when you start loosening up to the point of actually being whimsical as opposed to your normal methodical, walk out of town with only your breakfast food and a 12 pack of beer. Trade the beers for lunch and supper as you go. Variety, it's the spice of life.....
      Trade beer?!???!!! Blasphemy! :P
      Ok, ok, actually that's a damn interesting idea.
      All we have to do is chisel off some of those analytical, Julie the Cruise Director edges and then we'll have us a little masterpiece in the works :D
    • Foresight wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Trade beer?!???!!! Blasphemy! :P Ok, ok, actually that's a damn interesting idea.
      All we have to do is chisel off some of those analytical, Julie the Cruise Director edges and then we'll have us a little masterpiece in the works :D
      It's the teacher in her :) . OMG, you should see my teacher daughter's apartment. She is the most organized person I've ever met. She organizes my pantry and cabinets when she comes to visit.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I used to be WAY more organized than I am now. A divorce 3 years ago, an upset in all lifelong routines, and 5 moves within the first year really gave me a new perspective on how far I had taken organization past what I actually needed.

• TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Trade beer?!???!!! Blasphemy! :P Ok, ok, actually that's a damn interesting idea.
      It's the teacher in her :) . OMG, you should see my teacher daughter's apartment. She is the most organized person I've ever met. She organizes my pantry and cabinets when she comes to visit.
      Preachin' to the choir....I'm married to one, lol.

hikerboy wrote:

I like clutter
      Mi hombre!
    • YES! :D :D :D

My dad and brother pick me up from Athens Thursday. We're going to stop that night, probably in Roanoke or somewhere, depending on how long my dad can tolerate being in the car. I should be on the trail around lunchtime on Friday. I'm only planning a 6 mile day because of the late start. I'm going to stay at the Ed Garvey shelter that first night. I've heard it's a very nice one!

I'm shedding 1.5-2 lbs of food from my pack today. Bye bye vodka and peanut butter. :( Friday we're going to eat a big breakfast, so I'll be ok until dinner. I'll be in Waynesboro, PA (where there's a Walmart) Tuesday the 9th, so 8 lbs of food was probably overkill, especially this first week.

• I hate putting people out of the way for me. I tend to try to do things myself before asking for help. I started feeling guilty that my dad and brother were going to drive 1,400 miles round trip to take me on this adventure. I warned my dad of the trip's length and he laughed and said, "honey, if you're gonna walk it, I can drive it". :) :) THis is the same man who bought me my $200 pack because he wanted me to "have a piece of him with me". Same one who has asked me thoughtful questions and engaged me in lengthy phone conversations about everything AT. My biggest cheerleader.

It's kind of surreal how many people have come out of the wood work to support and encourage me as my adventure draws near! So many seem enamored by the idea of hiking the AT. It's like trail magic has started already. Damn, this is gonna be epic. :)

• twistwrist wrote:

I hate putting people out of the way for me. I tend to try to do things myself before asking for help. I started feeling guilty that my dad and brother were going to drive 1,400 miles round trip to take me on this adventure. I warned my dad of the trip's length and he laughed and said, "honey, if you're gonna walk it, I can drive it". :) :) THis is the same man who bought me my $200 pack because he wanted me to "have a piece of him with me". Same one who has asked me thoughtful questions and engaged me in lengthy phone conversations about everything AT. My biggest cheerleader.

It's kind of surreal how many people have come out of the wood work to support and encourage me as my adventure draws near! So many seem enamored by the idea of hiking the AT. It's like trail magic has started already. Damn, this is gonna be epic. :)
      yeah will lil miss pissnvinegar, just make sure you take it easy for the first few weeks, and listen to your body. rest when it tells you to rest.dont worry about trying to keep up with your trail family. it runs the length of the trail. you're gonna have a great hike.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

I hate putting people out of the way for me. I tend to try to do things myself before asking for help. I started feeling guilty that my dad and brother were going to drive 1,400 miles round trip to take me on this adventure. I warned my dad of the trip's length and he laughed and said, "honey, if you're gonna walk it, I can drive it". :) :) THis is the same man who bought me my $200 pack because he wanted me to "have a piece of him with me". Same one who has asked me thoughtful questions and engaged me in lengthy phone conversations about everything AT. My biggest cheerleader.

yeah will lil miss pissnvinegar, just make sure you take it easy for the first few weeks, and listen to your body. rest when it tells you to rest.dont worry about trying to keep up with your trail family. it runs the length of the trail. you're gonna have a great hike.
      Why all the name callin', y'all? :P
      I know. Start slow. But keep reminding me. I'll need it.

• twistwrist wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Why all the name callin', y'all? :P I know. Start slow. But keep reminding me. I'll need it.
      im excited for you/with you.just wanna help improve your success rate, and your enjoyment. hiking sucks when youre hurt, believe me. too many hikes end early due to injury.youre gonna make friends out there, and most wont find their own pace for a few weeks, then your group will fall apart and youll make new friends. dont push to keep up with hikers that are faster/stronger than you.its the second mouse that gets the cheese.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Why all the name callin', y'all? :P I know. Start slow. But keep reminding me. I'll need it.
      im excited for you/with you.just wanna help improve your success rate, and your enjoyment. hiking sucks when youre hurt, believe me. too many hikes end early due to injury.youre gonna make friends out there, and most wont find their own pace for a few weeks, then your group will fall apart and youll make new friends. dont push to keep up with hikers that are faster/stronger than you.its the second mouse that gets the cheese.
      Thanks. I keep telling myself that too because I always push a bit too hard. The stakes are too high to push hard right at first, and most of the friends I meet will already have their hiking legs. So I'm ready to be ok with meeting lots of cool people in passing. Maybe eventually I'll get fast enough to keep up with a group, but it won't happen at first.

Seriously though, wouldn't hurt to remind me of that fact off and on. ;)

• Just breathe... Things have a way of working out on the trail. :) Don't forget to stop and take a moment at the beginning of your journey. Take it all in. At some point you will want to remember that moment and how very awesome it was. The start of a new chapter! :)

It's gonna be an amazing hike!
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • hey guys! I'm 3 days and 42 miles into my hike. Though I am very sore, have the start of a blister on my heel, and already stink like a hiker, I'm having a freakin' blast!
      Taking a zero day at Nostalgic B&B today. Severe storms in the forecast this afternoon and foot rest in my future today. I'm two days ahead of where I predicted I'd be at this time. I'm not hiking very fast, but I am hiking long. Being a morning person, I get up and get going early. Who the hell wants to stop at 2:00 and set up camp? So I continue trudging along. Having a wonderful time with lots of pics, only a small handful posted here.

I met up with some hikers I met back at Trail Days on day 1. Although they're much faster hikers than I, I ran into them again day 2 too. The trail really is a small world.

This B&B and its owner are amazing! They pick you up from Pen Mar, give you a comfy bed with a foot massager in the room, a full breakfast, showers, and maildrops for the hiker rate of $25 per night. The owner, Elizabeth, is a true trail angel who will do anything for a hiker it seems. Highly recommend this place.

During my zero rainy rest day, I will update my trail journal. It's been a really epic journey already! :)
      Images
      • IMG_20150605_153352707.jpg

177.06 kB, 800×450, viewed 188 times
      • IMG_20150606_120454027.jpg

119.01 kB, 337×600, viewed 186 times
      • IMG_20150606_125935856_HDR.jpg

109.89 kB, 337×600, viewed 181 times
      • IMG_20150607_085146751.jpg

82.33 kB, 337×600, viewed 183 times
      • IMG_20150606_203126964.jpg

119.25 kB, 800×450, viewed 183 times
      • IMG_20150606_182848124.jpg

162.57 kB, 800×450, viewed 189 times
      • IMG_20150607_100034670.jpg

115.46 kB, 337×600, viewed 184 times
      • IMG_20150607_094948567.jpg

120.37 kB, 337×600, viewed 189 times
      • IMG_20150607_143052519.jpg

120.01 kB, 337×600, viewed 183 times
      • IMG_20150607_122127500.jpg

172.69 kB, 800×450, viewed 185 times
      • IMG_20150607_191842076.jpg

57.36 kB, 337×600, viewed 179 times

• Great!
      Keep having a blast.
      Re heel blister. Something without "sticky" over the actual hot spot (so the skin doesn't come off later) and then duct tape over that.
      TAKE THE TIME TO MAKE SURE YOUR SOCK DOESN'T CURL THE EDGES OF THE DUCT TAPE. IT HAS TO STAY FLAT!
    • twistwrist wrote:

hey guys! I'm 3 days and 42 miles into my hike. Though I am very sore, have the start of a blister on my heel, and already stink like a hiker, I'm having a freakin' blast!
      Taking a zero day at Nostalgic B&B today. Severe storms in the forecast this afternoon and foot rest in my future today. I'm two days ahead of where I predicted I'd be at this time. I'm not hiking very fast, but I am hiking long. Being a morning person, I get up and get going early. Who the hell wants to stop at 2:00 and set up camp? So I continue trudging along. Having a wonderful time with lots of pics, only a small handful posted here.

I met up with some hikers I met back at Trail Days on day 1. Although they're much faster hikers than I, I ran into them again day 2 too. The trail really is a small world.

This B&B and its owner are amazing! They pick you up from Pen Mar, give you a comfy bed with a foot massager in the room, a full breakfast, showers, and maildrops for the hiker rate of $25 per night. The owner, Elizabeth, is a true trail angel who will do anything for a hiker it seems. Highly recommend this place.

During my zero rainy rest day, I will update my trail journal. It's been a really epic journey already! :)
      Cool...how's the beard comin' along? :D