Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Clarity on an AT thru-hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When I finish the AT I know I will be glad to get my certificate and patch, might even hang it up on the wall. I have no idea where my BS, MBA, and PhD diplomas are (never ever bothered to display any of them). This one will mean much more to me personally.

Currently have laminated map of the AT up in my office with tacks on it representing where I started last summer, finished last summer, and plan to end up this summer. That map means a lot more to me personally than any piece of sheepskin (or whatever they make them out of now days).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

When I finish the AT I know I will be glad to get my certificate and patch, might even hang it up on the wall. I have no idea where my BS, MBA, and PhD diplomas are (never ever bothered to display any of them). This one will mean much more to me personally.

Currently have laminated map of the AT up in my office with tacks on it representing where I started last summer, finished last summer, and plan to end up this summer. That map means a lot more to me personally than any piece of sheepskin (or whatever they make them out of now days).
      I have my "Mule Skinner Certificate" for riding a mule to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back that hangs on the wall, but like you my BS and MBA are in a box somewhere.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • In light of my earlier post praising Oz Jacko's vague blaze, I should mention that I did put in for the Northville-Placid trail patch when I finished my hike, and if the Lord and my foot let me finish the Catskill 3500's I'll put in for the patch there. They're nice to have, but what really counts is the stories and the pictures.

If I get to the point where I have a handful (maybe the Fire Tower Challenge, the Ampersands, or God willing, even the Long Trail or the ADK 46), I might sew them on my day pack. This would mostly serve as a conversation starter. I know guys with various sorts of travel patches on their gear who have people say to them in airports and what not, "have you really been to all those places?" I've already at least once had a nice talk with an airplane seatmate who noticed that I had an actual carabiner (not one of those toys they sell for key chains) clipped on the ladder strap of my pack, and asked about it. (I'd absentmindedly left it there after a day trip, where I'd used it to secure my camera case.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The certificate obviously made Clarity happy and that's all that matters. Be proud of it girl, you worked hard. :)
      You are about the most encouraging person I know. :) Thanks, TJ!
      And it's suitable for framing.

On another note, I once was on a board interviewing candidates for company grade officer of the quarter. One of the questions asked was about notable life achievements. One candidate answered thru-hiking the AT after graduating HS prior to starting college and becoming an Eagle Scout. He received most of the board's votes.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The certificate obviously made Clarity happy and that's all that matters. Be proud of it girl, you worked hard. :)
      You are about the most encouraging person I know. :) Thanks, TJ!
      I hope you didn't take my comments personally. I loved your reports and your attitude. You should be proud. The thread had meandered into a different area and I was posting my personal stance. I know that whether or not someone "deserves" their certificate is an area of strong opinions. I hate the divisiveness that results. Therefore I have a low opinion of the actual certificate, not the people who have them.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Of the degrees, and all the nonsensical certificates and awards and medals and promotions I have received at work, I think Id be proudest of that patch and certificate. Every thing else is all nonsense. That you earned with your blood, sweat, tears and blisters. It was something you loved for days and weeks and moths at a time. Display it and or wear it proudly!
      RIAP
    • Calling Clarity, hey Twistwrist,

I just had a thought. Why not combine your experiences as an outdoors woman and a teacher and put together a program that you can present to the kids at local schools. I'm envisioning about 45 minutes in length, with enough flexibility that you could easily tailor it for grade school, middle school, or high school that could be given during their physical education class. Of course fill it with photos and your actual gear to get their attention. I'm betting that your enthusiasm and upbeat personality could help some young people overcome their nature deficit disorder.
      Just a thought I had
    • LIhikers wrote:

Calling Clarity, hey Twistwrist,

I just had a thought. Why not combine your experiences as an outdoors woman and a teacher and put together a program that you can present to the kids at local schools. I'm envisioning about 45 minutes in length, with enough flexibility that you could easily tailor it for grade school, middle school, or high school that could be given during their physical education class. Of course fill it with photos and your actual gear to get their attention. I'm betting that your enthusiasm and upbeat personality could help some young people overcome their nature deficit disorder.
      Just a thought I had
      Fun idea! Priority number one is finding a permanent job that pays the bills. This is the longest I've gone in my life without working, and my account is scary. Ridgerunning will break me even for a while, but I've got to find something permanent after the fact. House payments suck.

However, if/when life resumes some kind of normalcy and I start making money, this is an awesome/fun idea for some volunteer hours! Sweet! Thanks!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Calling Clarity, hey Twistwrist,

Just a thought I had
      Fun idea! Priority number one is finding a permanent job that pays the bills. This is the longest I've gone in my life without working, and my account is scary. Ridgerunning will break me even for a while, but I've got to find something permanent after the fact. House payments suck.
      However, if/when life resumes some kind of normalcy and I start making money, this is an awesome/fun idea for some volunteer hours! Sweet! Thanks!
      I was just assuming that the job was the priority. My idea was for when life has finally settled down into a livable routine.
    • While I maintain volunteer hours are satisfying intrinsicly, bills still require payment. Gain experience and polish your presentation by speaking to Scouts, church groups, and the like. The Lions and Kiwanas clubs will even furnish lunch.

Once you're comfortable and have an established resume, get with a local speaker's bureau and get paid for your lecture. School districts, teacher organizations, and university groups will fund such talks...particularly when you show a tie-in with math, geography, biology, and history concepts.

Don't neglect to talk with the equipment suppliers providing support during the journey. Such companies use satisfied consumers to promote their products at various events.i.e. the Outdoor Retailers Show in Salt Lake City.

Bonn chance

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC