Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

Just in case the participants can't find their way back into Groups on a certain other site, I'm opening a thread here for planning the Café January outing.

Across Harriman at the very leisurely pace of 4 days, 3 nights. People who want high mileage are welcome to add loops - Harriman has tons of trails. In particular, side trips to abandoned iron mine workings, ghost towns, and the Dunderberg Spiral Railway are all within easy reach.

Planned stops are Fingerboard shelter, Letterrock(Wm. Brien) shelter, and West Mountain shelter. (Some hikers have expressed a preference for continuing on to West Mountain on Saturday and basecamping there, because there are some interesting loops over on the Bear Mountain side.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

You look different in your profile picture, but then again, I've never seen you without a beanie before.

lots of people think i look really distinguished. is that what you mean? maybe i like to hike in the winter because i can keep a hat on!

ok... let's get serious about this impending hike. AK, as my probation officer, you know i get bored easily. can you figure out some pointless goal i can try to achieve -- sort of like a thruhike? how about a section of the Long Path? How about every trail in the park? How about sleeping in the lemon squeeze? Trust me, I need some distraction around now.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

If you bring a couple of cams or climbing nuts, i bet you could easily sleep in the lemon squeezer. Just bring a foam pad for insulation, the tight squeeze will likely compress your down UQ.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

If he sets up in the Lemon Squeezer, I want to take pictures!

We'll have enough people around not to get bored.

Trying for every trail in the park is too much - there's over 200 miles of trail there.

Hmmm. Gotta think about this one. There are plenty of loops you could do.

As far as the Long Path goes, the Harriman sections are among the ones that don't suck. I'll let you read the mileage tables. I know you like big miles and don't mind night hiking. If you wanted to do part of the LP, Sections 5, 6 and 7 are in Harriman. The mileage table is over on the NY/NJ Trail Conference site. The crossing of Arden Valley Road at mile 5.75 of section 6 is only a couple of hundred yards from the A-T, about a mile, mile-and-a-quarter north of Fingerboard shelter (Friday night).

The section of the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail from the Long Path at Big Hill shelter to West Mountain shelter (Sunday night ?) is probably the toughest section of trail in Harriman (doesn't say much, I know.) Jackie Jones fire tower has a nice view. The trail up Pingyp is slippery.

OK...I'll cut and paste my headcount from WB to see if all are present and accounted for.....speaking of which, what about the WB newbies that were interested in the hike?

Just went back to check & can't find the latest headcount, but I'm pretty sure it was 13, since when I last counted I suggested to Snacktime that we invite Bilbo Baggins to make it a luckier number.

AnotherKevin wrote:

If he sets up in the Lemon Squeezer, I want to take pictures!

We'll have enough people around not to get bored.

Trying for every trail in the park is too much - there's over 200 miles of trail there.

Hmmm. Gotta think about this one. There are plenty of loops you could do.

As far as the Long Path goes, the Harriman sections are among the ones that don't suck. I'll let you read the mileage tables. I know you like big miles and don't mind night hiking. If you wanted to do part of the LP, Sections 5, 6 and 7 are in Harriman. The mileage table is over on the NY/NJ Trail Conference site. The crossing of Arden Valley Road at mile 5.75 of section 6 is only a couple of hundred yards from the A-T, about a mile, mile-and-a-quarter north of Fingerboard shelter (Friday night).

The section of the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail from the Long Path at Big Hill shelter to West Mountain shelter (Sunday night ?) is probably the toughest section of trail in Harriman (doesn't say much, I know.) Jackie Jones fire tower has a nice view. The trail up Pingyp is slippery.
      This was suppose to be a map of the area, but it came out terrible. Will try again.

I sent PM's to Moose and Secondhand....if they don't make it over right away it won't matter....they can always WB PM me until things square away.

Oh...and I haven't seen Just Bill in these, so I messaged him too.

Lazarus, Another Kevin, Coach Lou, Overload, Hikerboy, Rocketsocks, Sarcasm, Just Bill, Teacher, Snacktime, Moose717, Secondhand, and ......?

AnotherKevin wrote:

Anyone got contact information for JB apart from the other site? The other side has been scanning PM's for references to this one and making them gang aft agley.

Wait, what? I thought PM's were private from the mods? Does the software allow them to see them?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Teacher wrote:

Just went back to check & can't find the latest headcount, but I'm pretty sure it was 13, since when I last counted I suggested to Snacktime that we invite Bilbo Baggins to make it a luckier number.

Excellent reference! I just finished reading The Hobbit for the third time.

max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Wait, what? I thought PM's were private from the mods? Does the software allow them to see them?

well, the pm's didn't change from a url to bunch of ******'s all by themself.

I'm told over here that the URL got added to the site's profanity filter, which runs on PM's as well as posts.

I don't think we need PM paranoia....I've been contacting folk through PM's on WB and have had no problem. I'm pretty sure that yes, even the PM's are subject to moderation, as may be indicated in the TOS...not entirely sure, but wouldn't be surprised. Buy hey, you're on the web, and should have very little expectation of privacy.....ask FarmerChef and he'll explain it all.

Anyway, don't type about any great conspiracies and the AT NSA will have no reason to interfere :P

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Excellent reference! I just finished reading The Hobbit for the third time.

Thanks....I've been playing around in my head with the "who's who" of this quest (ie who's Gandalf?)...and hoping to not meet wolves along the way (although. Beorn the Berserker might be cool)...rest assured that no matter what I'll have ample pocket handkerchieves (bandannas)!

It would appear I was mistaken, and the PM's I sent out were in fact altered with ******s. No harm no foul though....I simply resent with data unrecognizable to the filter. Hopefully they will get through. I have already heard from Moose717 and she's working on getting registered here, and is still interested. I've sent the PM to JustBill, and if we absolutely can't get him that way I do have another approach....his personal challenge website.

Anyway.....

"paranoia strikes deep in the heartland
      but I think it's all overdone...
      exaggerating this, exaggerating that
      they don't have no fun...

So God bless the goods we are given
      and God bless the U S of A
      and God bless our standard of living...
      let's keep it that way...

and we'll all have a good time."
      Paul Simon

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

And that makes 5 for now. G'night again all. :side:
      and that makes one for me....my very first 1,000 post in the new cafe.....yeah buddy!

who wants to go for two

You loser. I am going to drive my Karma over you when I can. I gave one away or you would get it now. 52
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

and that makes one for me....my very first 1,000 post in the new cafe.....yeah buddy!

who wants to go for two

You loser. I am going to drive my Karma over you when I can. I gave one away or you would get it now. 52
      Well, apparetly not only can you not give more than one karma away every 6th hour, you can't taketh away either...cause I just tried to Smiteth you...didn't work, hehe

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

who wants to go for two

Well, apparetly not only can you not give more than one karma away every 6th hour, you can't taketh away either...cause I just tried to Smitith you...didn't work, hehe

Hey! I was going to give one, not take one away. :)
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

who wants to go for two

Well, apparetly not only can you not give more than one karma away every 6th hour, you can't taketh away either...cause I just tried to Smitith you...didn't work, hehe

Hey! I was going to give one, not take one away. :)
      yeah well, shit happens, come back at 2:00 : PM :lol:

A.T.Lt wrote:

How do I get in on this hike? I may be interested…where and when are you guys starting and ending?

MLK weekend. All different folks, speeds and routes, with shelters on AT used to hook-up and rendezvous

Some will met on Friday, some stay 'till Monday, cars will be scattered along the AT for bail outs and early departures
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

And there you have it LT. I guess what I should have said is I have not firmed up my departure plans as of yet, but my tentative plan is to drive up your way (NY), meet up with Teacher & snacktime somewhere...park, and head to where everyone else is.

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

who wants to go for two

I had to hunt this thing down. Congrats Socks. Like I said this format of tracking is gonna make it very interesting. You never know what thread someone might be in. It's gonna add a fun twist.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

who wants to go for two

I had to hunt this thing down. Congrats Socks. Like I said this format of tracking is gonna make it very interesting. You never know what thread someone might be in. It's gonna add a fun twist.
      That is zactly what I was thinking.....and then got side tracked by the laughs last nite!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

who wants to go for two

yeah, a anybodys game variable...seasoned POHO's beware, it's a brave new world! :whistle:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

who wants to go for two

That is zactly what I was thinking.....and then got side tracked by the laughs last nite!
      man it was just sittin there like a Easter Egg, I couldn't believe it....so I snacthed it...all away from him, like a thief in the night, while 57 guest were lookin on....Ah HA HA HA ;)

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

aficion wrote:

who wants to go for two

yeah, a anybodys game variable...seasoned POHO's beware, it's a brave new world! :whistle:

I like it.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.