Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

IMScotty wrote:

I put a few pictures up on my Facebook page. I regret not taking some people shots but here a few photos of the scenery...

https://www.facebook.com/sstimpson/media_set?set=a.10202375977313945.1073741851.1628151861&type=1

Scotty
      Wow, those are great Scott...thanks, again some of us didn't make it that far, so I look forward to going back and seeing it as well...simply beautiful...surreal

love the bridge shot.

GG, sorry I did not know that was you. Hope to meet up with you again someday.

In the end I had the shelter to myself. Then around midnight two hikers crashed in, headlamps beaming, cursing about the cold. They lay in their bags for an hour or two shivering. Finally they started cursing again, packed in a haste and left in the cold darkness to who knows where.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

CoachLou wrote:

Today....my plan is to head back to Harriman Friday, bivy somewhere. Saturday morning finish that walk, maybe spend the nite at West Mtn. and head back in the am. On the way home I have 3 games to ref. :)

Coach, 3 games to ref, that should more than pay for your gas and cheesecake. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Today....my plan is to head back to Harriman Friday, bivy somewhere. Saturday morning finish that walk, maybe spend the nite at West Mtn. and head back in the am. On the way home I have 3 games to ref. :)

Coach, 3 games to ref, that should more than pay for your gas and cheesecake. ;)

Yes it will, but also.....my step children will be here gif.014
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

Sounds great! West Mountain and Perkins Point have great views. But I wasn't eager to camp up on the West Mountain ridge in that gale in January. (In retrospect, I should maybe have just suggested hiking through to Bear Mountain. We coulda done that. Oh well.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Sounds great! West Mountain and Perkins Point have great views. But I wasn't eager to camp up on the West Mountain ridge in that gale in January. (In retrospect, I should maybe have just suggested hiking through to Bear Mountain. We coulda done that. Oh well.)

A March, many moons ago, I stayed there 2 nites with tarps in the front because of cold rain. The middle day we went for a walk to Bear via Bald Mtn and The Timp. On Bald we decided we were wet and cold enough and went back to the shelter.

But they are calling for warming temps on saturday...we will see....I am very mobile ;)

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

No cheesecake....but we are developing a sort of 'Lembas' Cookie. Hard oatmeal, craisin, chopped small dried apple and shredded coconut, spices. With coffee and water, I'm good to go

CoachLou wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

A March, many moons ago, I stayed there 2 nites with tarps in the front because of cold rain. The middle day we went for a walk to Bear via Bald Mtn and The Timp. On Bald we decided we were wet and cold enough and went back to the shelter.

But they are calling for warming temps on saturday...we will see....I am very mobile ;)

i dunno ive stayed at west mtn shelter at least a dozen times and never remember it being that windy. the shelter opens to the south/ southeast, with its back to the north and nw. avfew years ago, it snowed overnight, i never knew it,woke up in the morning to sunny clear blue skies and 4 inches of snow-spectacular!!
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

i dunno ive stayed at west mtn shelter at least a dozen times and never remember it being that windy. the shelter opens to the south/ southeast, with its back to the north and nw. avfew years ago, it snowed overnight, i never knew it,woke up in the morning to sunny clear blue skies and 4 inches of snow-spectacular!!

Yes indeed, that's what I'm lookin' for, but I would like to test the new floor to, so the view will be cool.

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

No cheesecake....but we are developing a sort of 'Lembas' Cookie. Hard oatmeal, craisin, chopped small dried apple and shredded coconut, spices. With coffee and water, I'm good to go

Probably a little easier to carry, and if you need to you can distribute the weight (if you trust your hiking partners).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

CoachLou wrote:

No cheesecake, no Lembas cookies 2.gif ......but the Bosses wife made me some Ginger Snaps 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif ...they are the best in the world :woohoo:

Have fun Coach! I'll be hiking down with the Piney's this weekend.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

Next weekend might work for me, but I'm not sure that Harriman is where I want to go. I might try to arrange to meet you guys if I can't line up people for anything farther north. I'd like to try to bag a peak or two in the Catskills before the leaves block all the views and before the nettles and prickers take over everything. I hiked Huntersfield Mountain yesterday, and it was the first weekend this season that the ice was off the trails. I was thinking of perhaps a bushwhack loop of some sort. (Trails are suggestions!) I'll keep an eye out here.

Well that didn't take long, I'm out for this weekend at Harriman. Sorry :blush:
      It's super busy at work and IF I take days off from work, Kathy wants to go to someplace on the AT in CT.
      She has a specific place in mind but my mind's not remembering that place, I'll have to check the maps to see where she's talking about.
    • I will be starting a thread, and article....something, as soon as I get a few moments, regarding the construction of the AT relocation on West Mountain, NOBO out of Beachy Bottom. In the mean time here is a pic of my little friend who was making his rounds in Anthony Wayne south lot, while a was getting ready to work yesterday morning, around 0700. :thumbsup:
    • Lou, I'm betting that your little friend is not long for this world. A bear that's feeding out of garbage containers is one that's likely to be a 'nuisance bear' and removed eventually - or fall to hunters. Fed bear == dead bear.

Thanks for the trail work!
    • So have I! I was actually hiking the trail and was near Seven Lakes when a hiker stopped and spoke to me, he was going on and on about how much he knew about everything and when the topic of bears came up he spouted out that the can't cross over....I gave him one of those "Reeeallllyyyy??" looks 8|
      RIAP