Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Natchez Trace

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Natchez Trace

nps.gov/natr/index.htm

OK, mostly a 444-mile road (parkway), but it might be nice to ride a bicycle there. It has five bicycle-only campgrounds, plus three primitive campgrounds for general use. Other camping is available nearby for a fee. I have enjoyed hiking down to a waterfall, and camping at the Meriwether Lewis Campground.

nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/bicyclinghome.htm
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • And you can stop about every mile or two and visit a historic marker. It is really a shame they couldnt put together the original trail to make it a real long distance hiking trail. It was a wilderness trail used by indians and animals for hundreds of years, and then by whitey for an intense short period. From indian mounds , to indian village where Hernando DeSoto spent winter of 1542 (or something close), to where Andrew Jackson and troops camped on way to New Orleans to fight the British, to the actual little meeting house where Indian Chief met to negotiate with Whitey, to the actual carriage that took one to Washington DC to meet with the president. You will enjoy it if you stop at all the historic places.
    • MW, I agree 100%. When I first heard about it, I thought great I would love to hike that. But then found out you really could not walk it anymore. Did get to walk a short bit on it while on a Civil War tour.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General