Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Coffee

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

For the next trip prepped real coffee rather than the instant.
      What kind of bag is your coffee sealed in?

I used these --
      miniminit.com/
      amazon.com/Mini-Minit-One-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000BU5K90

Although I was shocked to see the price listed on Amazon because I only paid $3.00 for them at the counter of my local coffee shop. I used a couple stitches to close them.
      I have some of those but I never thought to sew them closed.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I used these --
      miniminit.com/

Although I was shocked to see the price listed on Amazon because I only paid $3.00 for them at the counter of my local coffee shop. I used a couple stitches to close them.

I got the idea from someone else, I think from some YouTube video. But I only sewed them because I didn't have a stapler.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I used these --miniminit.com/

I got the idea from someone else, I think from some YouTube video. But I only sewed them because I didn't have a stapler.
      TJ, go try on some some shoes and nab yourself a handful of those nylon footies they put out and use those. You don't even have to sew them, just tie them up.

P.S. Get the ones out of the box, not the ones on the floor. Pro Tip.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • We used to have a LT that thought it was funny to say he liked his coffee like his women, hot and black. One time he asked an officer to get him coffee. The officer handed him a cup and said here just like you women....cold and bitter.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Foresight wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I used these --miniminit.com/amazon.com/Mini-Minit-One-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000BU5K90

TJ, go try on some some shoes and nab yourself a handful of those nylon footies they put out and use those. You don't even have to sew them, just tie them up.

P.S. Get the ones out of the box, not the ones on the floor. Pro Tip.
      Good idea.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

One bottoms up for this...pretty tasty and very festive.

this is not coffee. its a hot beverage, but its not coffee.
      Say what you want, I think "pumpkin" coffee is awesome.

Fortunately I am able to resist the urge to put on Ugg boots, leggings and a TNF fleece after drinking one. ^^
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Speaking of which, does anyone add spice to coffee themselves? If so, what have you found that works?

I've been playing around with adding cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice to my drip coffee maker as an alternative to those pumpkin chemistry experiments sold at Dunkin.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Speaking of which, does anyone add spice to coffee themselves? If so, what have you found that works?

I've been playing around with adding cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice to my drip coffee maker as an alternative to those pumpkin chemistry experiments sold at Dunkin.
      I added milk once. I'll never do that again.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Speaking of which, does anyone add spice to coffee themselves? If so, what have you found that works?

I added milk once. I'll never do that again.
      Worse than milk is putting 2% milk in it, might as well drink tea.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

Fortunately I am able to resist the urge to put on Ugg boots, leggings and a TNF fleece after drinking one. ^^
      Does it count if you pick up a TNF fleece at Sallie? They had one for $5 one time, and I couldn't resist. It's no better nor worse than any other 200-weight fleece, so it keeps me warm enough.

Ugg boots - ugh! Leggings - I hope gaiters don't count.

And pumpkin coffee - de gustibus non est disputandum, but I have a whole lot of disputare for it.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

artificially flavored coffee is not coffee. its a beverage.and pumpkin spice is overrated. try a drop or two of natural vanilla extract if you need a flavored hot beverage.
      its all good
    • Debating on how to do coffee on ICT. Big Sky Bistro or cowboy??? Leaning toward cowgoy even though I think weight would be about the same. I can do it good enough that ai rarely drink grounds. After seeping I tap the sid of the pot a few times. When I take the lid off a few drops of cold water settle the rest. Plus my 32 oz. Titanium pot makes a perfect serving size & backup pot!
    • OzJacko wrote:

I drink coffee here.
      In the USA I drink hot chocolate or beer or coke or even water. You guys have atrocious coffee.
      Cafe con leche on the Camino was fantastic. The Spanish know coffee.
      American coffee is a lot like American beer, we make a lot of it in a lot of different ways. If you try it and it tastes like crap, it's probably because you bought a crap brand.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sarcasmtheelf ().

• "Le café américain a un avantage, un défaut, et une mystère. L'avantage: il ne contient pas de chicorée. Le défaut: il ne contient pas de café non plus. La mystère: pourqui est-il noir?" (American coffee has one advantage, one fault and one mystery. The advantage: there's no chicory in it. The fault: there's no coffee in it either. The mystery: why is it black?) -- Alexis de Tocqueville
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I woke up to a broken coffee maker. Green tea wasn't getting the job done, so I made cowboy coffee for the first time in my life. (Yeah, I checked my backpacking foods stash first but no instant coffee or hot chocolate.)

I guess I'll get to do it again tomorrow. It wasn't great -- but it was better than instant would have been. Receipe I followed:

(Use 2 Tablespoons of coffee per 8 ounces of water.)

Boil 12 ounces of water.
      Remove from heat and let sit 30 seconds.
      Stir in 3 tablespoons of coffee.
      Let sit 2 minutes.
      Stir.
      Let sit 2 minutes.
      Splash some cold water on top to help settle the grounds. (I didn't really notice much of a difference.)
      Pour slowly to keep the grounds in the pot.

Had too many grounds in the coffe cup so I poured it through a coffee filter into another cup. That was a big help. (Maybe I stirred again after the 2nd 2 minutes? Don't remember. If I did that may have moved the grounds upward.)

This was my first time. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on what to do differently?
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

I woke up to a broken coffee maker. Green tea wasn't getting the job done, so I made cowboy coffee for the first time in my life. (Yeah, I checked my backpacking foods stash first but no instant coffee or hot chocolate.)

I guess I'll get to do it again tomorrow. It wasn't great -- but it was better than instant would have been. Receipe I followed:

Boil 12 ounces of water.
      Let sit 2 minutes.
      Stir.
      Let sit 2 minutes.
      Splash some cold water on top to help settle the grounds. (I didn't really notice much of a difference.)

Had too many grounds in the coffe cup so I poured it through a coffee filter into another cup. That was a big help. (Maybe I stirred again after the 2nd 2 minutes? Don't remember. If I did that may have moved the grounds upward.)

This was my first time. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on what to do differently?
      my suggestion would be......wait for it......get a new coffee maker. :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I woke up to a broken coffee maker. Green tea wasn't getting the job done, so I made cowboy coffee for the first time in my life. (Yeah, I checked my backpacking foods stash first but no instant coffee or hot chocolate.)

Boil 12 ounces of water.
      Let sit 2 minutes.
      Stir.
      Let sit 2 minutes.

I am not a cofee drinker, so other than kick the habit, that is the first thing that came to my mind. And now days all you have to do is order one online. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Boil 12 ounces of water.
      Let sit 2 minutes.
      Stir.
      Let sit 2 minutes.

I am not a cofee drinker, so other than kick the habit, that is the first thing that came to my mind. And now days all you have to do is order one online. :)
      Well...I have to analyze every coffee maker that's available online first. :) I didn't particularly like the coffee maker I had so I'm not going to get the same one again.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

you could always go old school and get a coffee pot to perk your own and make it the way you like it.
      I met a hiker once who carried an old fashion coffee percolator with him on the trail and would make his coffee with it on his camp stove every morning. Now that is an addiction!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I tried something new with my coffee not too long ago. I usually drink my coffee black or I'll add a little milk if I need to cool nit off. I rarely add sugar. A few days back I tried something new. I had a cup of joe with milk to cool it down. Then I poured in a dollop of Maple Syrup. DELICIOUS .! I did it a number of times, until Kathy banned me from doing it regularly because maple syrup, the real stuff, is to expensive to use it up that fast.
      Try it, I think you'll like it.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I tried something new with my coffee not too long ago. I usually drink my coffee black or I'll add a little milk if I need to cool nit off. I rarely add sugar. A few days back I tried something new. I had a cup of joe with milk to cool it down. Then I poured in a dollop of Maple Syrup. DELICIOUS .! I did it a number of times, until Kathy banned me from doing it regularly because maple syrup, the real stuff, is to expensive to use it up that fast.
      Try it, I think you'll like it.
      That reminds me of back when I was in college we were out walking on 80 acres my dad had bought. I was hungry and got tired of waiting on everyone else and headed back to the van. For some reason I had never tried pecans, but went through quite a few before my dad and everyone else showed up. My dad was not impressed, and said there was a bag of oranges, why weren't you eating (and filling up) on those. Now I have a hard time passing up a pecan pie. :)

At my age now I tell my wife not to try to introduce me to any new foods unless they are healthy for me. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General