Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Coffee

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Of course I don't get the error message because the software knows my IP is in SC, thereby admitting it's recognition of our supreme intelligence........yep yep.

Perhaps I should head over to Iran and tell them, "sorry fellas, you ain't gonna be gettin' no damn sanctions lifted, mkay".
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

Of course I don't get the error message because the software knows my IP is in SC, thereby admitting it's recognition of our supreme intelligence........yep yep.

Perhaps I should head over to Iran and tell them, "sorry fellas, you ain't gonna be gettin' no damn sanctions lifted, mkay".

When the software recognizes South Cackalacky, it automatically goes into kindergarten mode... ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Grinder wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I drink coffee only on days ending in 'y'.
      Same here, but I reserve the right to modify it if any days are added that end with other letters.
      Not to steal TJ's thunder on her question, but since this is a coffee thread and there's no need to start another, I was wondering if anyone has any on line retailers they've ordered from for good coffee. Or coffee shops in your local area with a website where I could order from. I'll be headed home on vacation in a month and while I can (and will) order from my favorite (counterculturecoffee.com), I love giving new roasters a shot.
      that stuff must be good...they charge about 20% more for a 12 ounce bag than i pay for a 40 ounce bag at my specialty coffe house (costco).
      2,000 miler
    • A possibly apocryphal story has it that Donald Glaser (Nobel Laureate physicist) got the idea for the bubble chamber by watching the trails of bubbles left by salt in beer. (In a 2006 talk, he said that while he used beer for the working fluid in an early prototype, beer was not the inspiration.)

The bubble chamber was instrumental in the discovery of particle resonance states, the omega-minus particle (confirming Gell-Mann's SU(3) theory), weak neutral currents, the charmed quark, and the W and Z particles. Particle physics owes a lot to salt in beer.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
      • [quote='Grinder','http://www.appalachiantrailcafe.net/index.php/Thread/1085-Coffee/?postID=57083#post57083'][quote='AnotherKevin','http://www.appalachiantrailcafe.net/index.php/Thread/1085-Coffee/?postID=57081#post57081']I drink coffee only on days ending in 'y'.
        [/quote]Same here, but I reserve the right to modify it if any days are added that end with other letters.
        Not to steal TJ's thunder on her question, but since this is a coffee thread and there's no need to start another, I was wondering if anyone has any on line retailers they've ordered from for good coffee. Or coffee shops in your local area with a website where I could order from. I'll be headed home on vacation in a month and while I can (and will) order from my favorite (counterculturecoffee.com), I love giving new roasters a shot.
        [/quote]
      those coffees look good. I think it's coffee time. Coffee.gif

(and its 4:04, not 4:20. :) )
      Lost in the right direction.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

A possibly apocryphal story has it that Donald Glaser (Nobel Laureate physicist) got the idea for the bubble chamber by watching the trails of bubbles left by salt in beer. (In a 2006 talk, he said that while he used beer for the working fluid in an early prototype, beer was not the inspiration.)

The bubble chamber was instrumental in the discovery of particle resonance states, the omega-minus particle (confirming Gell-Mann's SU(3) theory), weak neutral currents, the charmed quark, and the W and Z particles. Particle physics owes a lot to salt in beer.
      What the hell did he just say? ?(
      Beer and Particle Physics should never be used together in the same sentence.
    • LIhikers wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

A possibly apocryphal story has it that Donald Glaser (Nobel Laureate physicist) got the idea for the bubble chamber by watching the trails of bubbles left by salt in beer. (In a 2006 talk, he said that while he used beer for the working fluid in an early prototype, beer was not the inspiration.)

try the latin to english google translator
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

try the latin to english google translator
      RIAP
    • April 6 is the 98th anniversary of the entry of the United States in to the Great War, and in honor of the date and our on going talk of coffee, here is an extract regarding coffee and quartermaster activities from "America’s Munitions 1917-1918 Report of Benedict Crowell, The Assistant Secretary of War, Director of Munitions, Government Printing Office, Washington - 1919."

... The sugar for sweetening various dishes weighed 350,000,000 pounds. He washed it all down with a draft made of 75,000,000 pounds of coffee thinned with 200,000,000 cans of evaporated milk....

When the American troops entered the trenches it was found impracticable to use the ordinary roasted and ground coffee. Its preparation required too much fire, the smoke of which made a target for the enemy. Experiments were made with soluble coffee, looking toward guaranteeing a warm stimulant in the trenches. It was found necessary to give hot drinks to the men before they went over the top or after they had undergone periods of exposure. The British and French troops were supplied with brandy, wine, or rum on such occasions. But issues of intoxicants to soldiers were contrary to the American policy, and quantities of soluble coffee were substituted. Solidified alcohol was supplied so that the coffee could be served hot.

The soluble-coffee industry was in its infancy in the United States. So great was the demand for soluble coffee from the overseas forces that the calls were for over thirty times the prewar production. A cablegram was received in October informing us that after January 1, 1919, the troops would require 25,000 pounds of coffee each day in addition to the amounts packed in the trench rations, these latter quantities alone amounting to 12,000 pounds daily. Allowance was also made for possible sinkings of 5,000 pounds daily, making a total of 42,000 pounds necessary to meet the daily requirements of the American Expeditionary Forces.

The entire American output of soluble coffee was taken over for the Army, but this amounted to only 6,000 pounds daily. A number of manufacturers of other food products were induced to turn their entire plants into soluble-coffee factories. The greatest difficulty was incurred in the securing of the necessary equipment for these new plants. There was but one company in the entire United States which made the revolving bronze drums essential to the manufacturing process. This company ran its plant seven days a week, with three shifts daily, to produce the necessary materials. The metals which went into these drums were vital in the manufacture of other munitions, but it was even more important that men in the front lines be given hot drinks when tired and worn from long fighting and exposure.

The signing of the armistice saw the difficulties of supplying soluble coffee about overcome. The Subsistence Division had won one of its hardest fights. The cooperation of American manufacturers had made the achievement possible.

The problem of supplying good coffee to the troops was a difficult one. To make good coffee for a unit as large as a company is not easy for the average cook. To guarantee that good coffee would always be available, the Subsistence Division made one of its most radical changes in handling supplies. This change was so complete that whereas the Army formerly was served with coffee from three to six months out of the roasters, it came to be supplied with coffee freshly roasted every day.

At the beginning of the war coffee was purchased, ready roasted and ground, from competitive dealers. It was then held in New York for about 30 days before being shipped overseas, the transportation requiring 30 days more. Received in France, the coffee often was kept for 90 days before it was distributed to the troops. In addition, a 30 days' supply must be kept on hand, making the coffee 6 months old by the time it was used. The result was that when the coffee finally reached the men it had lost half of its value as a stimulant and was greatly deteriorated in flavor, often being in a crumbly condition. "Muddy" coffee on the mess tables resulted.

The only way for the troops to secure fresh coffee was for us to send over the green product for roasting as it was needed. Buildings were erected to house coffee-roasting machinery at home and abroad; men were trained as quickly as possible in the process of coffee-roasting, and sent out to take charge of the plants. In a relatively short length of time 16 plants were in full operation in France, and an increasing number at home. Eventually all the coffee used in France was shipped over green and roasted in the plants there. These plants were capable of roasting sufficient coffee to take care of 3,000,000 men at a considerably lower cost to the Government than under the old system.

qmfound.com/americas_munitions.htm
      Coffee.gif
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Dick Zare (Stanford) one of the world's foremost Physical Chemist, wrote an article explaining why bubbles in Guinness go down instead of up.

web.stanford.edu/group/Zarelab/guinness/
    • Foresight wrote:

Hey now, Old Milwaukee used to be good beer back when the pull tabs came off like a sardine top. And the cans were steel. And it was made by Schlitz. And people still sprinkled salt on top of their beer cans before drinking. And boobs were conical. And......well, it was a while back.

Nah, drink Lone Star Beer. You'll either switch to vodka or keep drinking Lone Star.

I switched to vodka.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

For the next trip prepped real coffee rather than the instant.
      What kind of bag is your coffee sealed in?

I used these --
      miniminit.com/
      amazon.com/Mini-Minit-One-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000BU5K90

Although I was shocked to see the price listed on Amazon because I only paid $3.00 for them at the counter of my local coffee shop. I used a couple stitches to close them.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.