Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Food list

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey y'all. Will you pick apart my food list? This is planning for 4 total nights on the trail. Am I overshooting or undershooting the calories? Any suggestions to add or delete? Most of the foods I've chosen offer at least 125 calories per ounce. Thanks a ton!
      Files
      • Meals.docx

(15.69 kB, downloaded 405 times, last: )
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • i hate to comment on food since we all have different tastes, eat different amounts, etc.

but i'll go ahead and comment this time since what you list would not be enough for me.

the issue is lunch. you don't have it listed. so obviously you plan to graze on snacks during the day and not have a dedicated lunch menu. that may work for you. i know it works for others based on what i read in forums. but it doesn't work for me. what you have listed for snacks is not enough food for snacks and lunch for me.
      2,000 miler
    • There are other cafe members that are better at food lists/calorie counting than I am. To me, it doesn't look like you have enough food. For several meals (Monday dinner and Wednesday lunch) you are only eating 1 tortilla. When I'm hungry on the trail, 1tortilla doesnt satisfy me. I would double your tortillas, pb, and olive oil.

Hopefully the experts/thru hikers/lashers will weigh in.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • From what I've heard, many hikers don't get hungry the first week or two. Your list is pretty close to what I take on a 4-5 day hike. In fact, I take less. After thinking about it more, I think it would be fine to start out with and you can tweak it as you go and as you get hungrier.

I would still take more tortillas and pb because like Max, I eat lunch and then only snack on almonds throughout the day.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Thanks all. I thought I was probably shooting too low for someone thru-hiking, but being out only 4 days, I wondered if my caloric needs could be lower.
      Without the poptarts, the rest of the food weighs exactly 5 pounds.

I'll definitely add more. Thank you guys so much for guiding this noobie along.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Doesn't seem like enough, I tend the first day eat less the second day crave every thing don't have and by the 3rd day eat everything I have
      Some things to consider adding:
      String cheese, they keep for a few days
      Beef jerky, lots of it
      Instant potatoes..you can mix everything in that
      I like those tuna packets, and from what I remember you ave that. One of those packets are usually my lunch
      I like to bring english muffins also, smother them with peanut butter for lunch
      Breakfast I like pop tarts, 2 packets of oatmeal and coffee..
      But like someone already said, each person has different tastes and preferences.
      Id add a Mountain House, I don't care for them , but I like to carry 1..and have that when the other stuff just gets boring
      RIAP
    • my first resupply will be in blue ridge, sometime on thursday.3 1/2 days in. my food list is as follows:
      1-alpineaire three cheese lasagna
      1-alpineaire three cheese chicken pasta
      3 pks ramen
      3 lge foil pkts tuna
      3 small pkts tuna
      1- squeeze jar of hellmans tartar sauce
      2-pkgs boars head precooked bacon
      5-belvita biscuit pkts
      6 -peanut butter cracker pkgs
      1-can of nido powdered milk
      1- can instant breakfast.
      12- pkts nestles french roast instant coffee
      2-pkts landolakes cappucino mix
      1-lb roasted salted cashews
      cooking spices-cayenne, cajun spice, pepper, garlic salt
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

What low weight/high calories foods am I missing in that list?

cracker pkts- those six packs of cracker packs.theres all different flavors and combos of crackers and cheese or peanut butter.mayo( a jar of mayo will keep for 4 or 5 days so long as its not baking in the sun), or you can pilfer packets of mayo at wendys.

I like the word pilfer. I like the act of pilfering. Two of my favorite pilferees due to their scarcity are sweet pickle relish and chopped onions. When given a chance to pilfer, I'm the pilferest.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • hikerboy wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

What low weight/high calories foods am I missing in that list?

cracker pkts- those six packs of cracker packs.theres all different flavors and combos of crackers and cheese or peanut butter.mayo( a jar of mayo will keep for 4 or 5 days so long as its not baking in the sun), or you can pilfer packets of mayo at wendys.

Got 'em on there a few time, but should probably add more of those to my supply.

• hikerboy wrote:

my first resupply will be in blue ridge, sometime on thursday.3 1/2 days in. my food list is as follows:
      1-alpineaire three cheese lasagna
      1-alpineaire three cheese chicken pasta
      3 pks ramen
      3 lge foil pkts tuna
      3 small pkts tuna
      1- squeeze jar of hellmans tartar sauce
      2-pkgs boars head precooked bacon
      5-belvita biscuit pkts
      6 -peanut butter cracker pkgs
      1-can of nido powdered milk
      1- can instant breakfast.
      12- pkts nestles french roast instant coffee
      2-pkts landolakes cappucino mix
      1-lb roasted salted cashews

I take it Fritos are a given.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.