Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Fish Over A Fire

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• One of my favorite spots on the AT here in Maine is Horn Pond in the Bigelows. There are Brook Trout in the pond and it's a nice place to wet a fly. The only problem there and at Speck Pond is that open fires are prohibited at the campsites. Any fish I catch and want to eat there are eaten raw, or cooked in my Bakepacker in chunks. I would rather have fried them, but don'r have a pan large enough that I carry on backpacking trips.
    • Old Hillwalker wrote:

One of my favorite spots on the AT here in Maine is Horn Pond in the Bigelows. There are Brook Trout in the pond and it's a nice place to wet a fly. The only problem there and at Speck Pond is that open fires are prohibited at the campsites. Any fish I catch and want to eat there are eaten raw, or cooked in my Bakepacker in chunks. I would rather have fried them, but don'r have a pan large enough that I carry on backpacking trips.
      It is amazing the difference between fresh and week old frozen or refrigerated store bought, it doesn't smell like fish, it smells like nothing and tastes great.