Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's Cooking?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's Cooking?

I add 1 cup of water to a Pyrex measuring cup (that holds 4 cups), stir in instant rice until the mix measures 2 cups, add 10 shakes of curry powder, and microwave for 5 minutes. I add a 12.5 ounce can of chicken and a 15 ounce can of whole kernel corn. I add Goya hot sauce for the additional heat and the sour taste of the vinegar. I shred the chicken by repeatedly stabbing it with a fork, and then mix everything together.

A mouthful starts with a bit of spicy pepper heat and sourness, but biting into the corn releases sweetness.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • I remember how my Mom got rid of one of my boyfriends when I was a teen. He stopped by on chicken killing day and she handed him a sopping wet chicken that was just dunked in boiling water to loosen the feathers. "Here hold this for her while she plucks it." He did it, but that was the last time he came to the farm!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I remember how my Mom got rid of one of my boyfriends when I was a teen. He stopped by on chicken killing day and she handed him a sopping wet chicken that was just dunked in boiling water to loosen the feathers. "Here hold this for her while she plucks it." He did it, but that was the last time he came to the farm!

Obviously he wasn't a keeper. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • feral bill wrote:

Chickens are at the top of my list of animals that deserve to be killed and eaten. Noisy, smelly, foul fowl. Tasty, though.

I don't believe they were commonly perceived as a meat option until World War II. Since then we gone from egg farms to also poultry farms.
    • Astro wrote:

feral bill wrote:

Chickens are at the top of my list of animals that deserve to be killed and eaten. Noisy, smelly, foul fowl. Tasty, though.

I don't believe they were commonly perceived as a meat option until World War II. Since then we gone from egg farms to also poultry farms.

Well please elaborate This Owl is all ears.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Astro wrote:

feral bill wrote:

Well please elaborate This Owl is all ears.

marketplace.org/topics/economy…ut-chickens-and-then-some

Play the radio clip (4:22 minutes). You might even want to read the book.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I remember how my Mom got rid of one of my boyfriends when I was a teen. He stopped by on chicken killing day and she handed him a sopping wet chicken that was just dunked in boiling water to loosen the feathers. "Here hold this for her while she plucks it." He did it, but that was the last time he came to the farm!

I remember once when I was a little kid, my sister and I were staying with my grandma for a few days. We were playing in the back yard. Grandma kept chickens in a coop, but let them run loose in the yard. She came out and asked us if we'd like fried chicken for dinner. When we said yes, she reached down and grabbed the nearest chicken to her, picked it up by the neck and snapped the neck with one flick of the wrist. My sister didn't eat chicken for a couple years after that.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Astro wrote:

feral bill wrote:

For my depression era relatives, chickens were kept for the egg money. Only when the hens stopped laying or roosters were surplus to the flock did a chicken dinner occur.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Astro wrote:

feral bill wrote:

For my depression era relatives, chickens were kept for the egg money. Only when the hens stopped laying or roosters were surplus to the flock did a chicken dinner occur.
      In my early teens I owned my own egg business. Started with 30 chicks from the feed store, then ate most of the roosters. Ordered incubator from s Sears catalog and got up to 120 hens.

Learned a lot about business first hand. Bookkeeping, investing in technology (automatic feeders and water), inventory management, business cycle (eat hens with stop laying), selling byproducts (manure), etc. And can't forget about Angel investors, my parents.
    • Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Astro wrote:

feral bill wrote:

In my early teens I owned my own egg business. Started with 30 chicks from the feed store, then ate most of the roosters. Ordered incubator from s Sears catalog and got up to 120 hens.
      Learned a lot about business first hand. Bookkeeping, investing in technology (automatic feeders and water), inventory management, business cycle (eat hens with stop laying), selling byproducts (manure), etc. And can't forget about Angel investors, my parents.
      That's awesome Astro, I love this story! The true American Dream. Right on dude! :thumbsup:

I miss thee ole Sears and Roebuck catalog on the coffee table.
    • meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Astro wrote:

feral bill wrote:

In my early teens I owned my own egg business. Started with 30 chicks from the feed store, then ate most of the roosters. Ordered incubator from s Sears catalog and got up to 120 hens.Learned a lot about business first hand. Bookkeeping, investing in technology (automatic feeders and water), inventory management, business cycle (eat hens with stop laying), selling byproducts (manure), etc. And can't forget about Angel investors, my parents.
      That's awesome Astro, I love this story! The true American Dream. Right on dude! :thumbsup:
      I miss thee ole Sears and Roebuck catalog on the coffee table.
      ...or in the out house.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.