Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cow Camp & Thunder Hill Shelters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cow Camp & Thunder Hill Shelters

I walked up to Cow Camp Shelter from US-60. I slept in the shelter. There were two younger guys there. In the morning, I took the old hotel road to Hog Camp Gap, and walked back to my car along roads. Then I parked at Sunset Field along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I walked down to Apple Orchard Falls. I took a picture for a couple with a dog near the falls. I filled two water bottles on the way up. I parked close to the Thunder Hill Shelter and spent the night there.

I think my trail legs are coming back to me. No more sore muscles or limping with both legs. I had hoped to lose some pounds, but for now I will settle for getting my legs back.

The old hotel road is a nice change from ridge walking the AT. I passed near water four times. There is a grassy area along the way that large groups might find suitable for camping.

AWOL does not list parking at Hog Camp Gap, but there seems to be plenty of room to park. The problem is bottom clearance, rocks, ruts, and maybe mud along the forest service road.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does