Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Green Super Feet

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Green Super Feet

I have used the green super feet for about ten years now. I never was crazy about them, but are praised highly in the hiking community. So I stuck with them ... Until today. I u took them out and replaced them with a normal insole. After today's hike my feet feel great!!!

I've seen on their site that they sell all kinds. Does anyone know of any with extra cushion? I'm done with the green. They might even make the trash today.
    • Dmax wrote:

I have used the green super feet for about ten years now. I never was crazy about them, but are praised highly in the hiking community. So I stuck with them ... Until today. I u took them out and replaced them with a normal insole. After today's hike my feet feel great!!!

I've seen on their site that they sell all kinds. Does anyone know of any with extra cushion? I'm done with the green. They might even make the trash today.

I hate Super Feet!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dmax wrote:

i think the blues are a bit softer. ive been wearing the greens for two years now, and i like them because of the stiff forefoot, gives me a layer of protection on rocks and roots.i tried going back to a regular insole, but found although they felt more comfortable at first, my feet fatigued faster.
      its all good
    • i've worn them for hiking/running on the advice of my doctor after i got my first case of plantar fasciitis about 10 years ago.

i asked the guy at rei when to replace them; he told me when they develop cracks. but that doesn't make sense to me as they still support tbe foot. so i replace them when the spot where my heel hits wears out. they still support the foot - but this area is now rough and tends to wear out socks faster.

the website has advice on how to break them in. don't know if it has advice on when to throw them out.

edit to add: i've never tracked how long a pair lasts, but i certainly don't change them out with every new pair of shoes.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

i've worn them for hiking/running on the advice of my doctor after i got my first case of plantar fasciitis about 10 years ago.

i asked the guy at rei when to replace them; he told me when they develop cracks. but that doesn't make sense to me as they still support tbe foot. so i replace them when the spot where my heel hits wears out. they still support the foot - but this area is now rough and tends to wear out socks faster.

the website has advice on how to break them in. don't know if it has advice on when to throw them out.

Probably a missed marketing opportunity. If they had HB's advice there about replacing every 500-600 miles they might sell more.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I'm a big fan of them for the increased rigidity and protection they provide for the bottom of my feet in trail runners. I wouldn't mind if they had a bit more cushion.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • When I switched to hiking in trail runners, I started having problems with pain down the sides of both calves. I realized this was from the muscles overworking to keep an ankle from rolling, and thought it was that I needed the support from a boot.

I was wrong. What I need is a rigid heel cup. When I replaced the stock insoles in my trail runners with green Superfeet, my ankle stability improved greatly, and that's now what I use to hike when the weather doesn't force me into big clunky boots.

If your problem is really that they're too hard, I hear that the orange ones are like the green with more padding.

Both green and orange are for people with high arches. If you have a flatter foot, you need a different kind. Since that isn't me, I cant advise on which color is right - probably black or copper from what I read on the site.

But everyone's feet are different. I'm just describing ones that work for me. Also, the longest I've had them out in one go has been a 40-mile section in 3.5 days (longest day 14 miles) followed three or four days later by another 2.5-day, 30-mile section.

Oh, and I'm with Elf that they provide much better rock protection. Ask him about how rocky it is where I hike. He's been there with me. And he's been to the Bennsylvania Rocks. He can compare more honestly than I can, but I think the Catskills have three rock to one dirt.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.