Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Urination...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Urination...

I used to always read Buck in Backpacker mag to see what he had to say health wise. He never has covered my question. So, I'm bringing it to you all.

When ever I go hiking I have to do number one very often. If I take a drink of water I usually stop within 100 yards to water a tree. .. For example, on today's hike it was a 4.8 mile uphill hike to the fire tower. On the way up I bet I stopped 6-7 times in the hour and a half to get to the top.

Im worse than a trail dog. .... Any ideas???
    • Dmax wrote:

I used to always read Buck in Backpacker mag to see what he had to say health wise. He never has covered my question. So, I'm bringing it to you all.

When ever I go hiking I have to do number one very often. If I take a drink of water I usually stop within 100 yards to water a tree. .. For example, on today's hike it was a 4.8 mile uphill hike to the fire tower. On the way up I bet I stopped 6-7 times in the hour and a half to get to the top.

Never hike above tree line.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dmax wrote:

Never hike above tree line.

^^Now that's funny^^
      RIAP
    • Dmax wrote:

i only have that problem when I drink beer.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dmax wrote:

Sounds like everything is working fine... you need to bring up the tail on a group hike... :whistling:
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I find walking also makes me pee more often but it is usually something that is brief. i.e. a pee or two shortly after starting. I think the motion etc places a bit of pressure on the bladder. HOWEVER if it persists I strongly suggest you get checked as frequent urination is a common symptom of prostate cancer.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • its just a habit you've got yourself into. in real life when the urge strikes you have to stop what you're doing and make a trip to the bathroom. or if you're driving you have to keep going until you get home or pass a gas station or fast food restaurant. in the woods there is no need to wait; ya just duck behind the closest tree and let it rip.
      2,000 miler
    • This is not medical advice but common knowledge. It doesn't take the place of an expert opinion by an MD :)

The renal system has several major functions
      1) maintain acid/base balance (homeostasis)
      2) remove waste products
      3) regulate electrolytes
      4) control blood volume and maintain blood pressure

Urination is affected by a person's health status/weight/physical condition. So your frequent urination doesn't necessarily have a clear cut answer...many things can contribute .

One possibility is that when exercising, your heart rate increases and causes a temporary increase in blood pressure. How much your blood pressure increases depends on your weight and physical condition. The body controls high blood pressure by decreasing blood volume. The renal system decreases blood volume by getting rid of fluid... urinating.

Another possibility is that you are simply drinking more water when you hike so need to urinate more.

Has anyone noticed their hands swell when hiking? What happens is your blood flow is increased to your lungs and heart and decreased to your limbs. This causes your hands to cool, the vessels dilate, and swelling occurs. Hiking poles work great to prevent this...by gripping the poles, you keep blood circulating to them, and hold them in a more favorable position.

Just my inexpert 2 cents. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • When I backpack I find that the tight waist strap on my pack pushes on my bladder and makes me want to go more often, no sure if that is relevant to what you are describing but I though it was worth mentioning. Similarly, the waist strap also pushes into my stomach and often causes some wonderful heartburn and reflux when I'm out on a hike.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

When I backpack I find that the tight waist strap on my pack pushes on my bladder and makes me want to go more often, no sure if that is relevant to what you are describing but I though it was worth mentioning. Similarly, the waist strap also pushes into my stomach and often causes some wonderful heartburn and reflux when I'm out on a hike.

This is something I'll have to keep track of. I know when I hike up the gorge to go fishing I don't have the problem. Even after six miles. It's just when wearing my pack. And I do tighten my waist belt. With a bad back I tighten it down really tight and losses my shoulder straps to get most of the weight on my hips.

my wife seems to think its genetic. Our daughter had a problem where her bladder wouldn't release till full. But never would empty all the way. So we had to use a cath every few hours.

This is could be a serious problem on a crowded trail. Could you see me going up Everest. There would be an ice shoot all the way down.
    • I can't speak to the frequency of urination and the possible causes thereof since i do not have this affliction. I can, however, speak to the importance of not wearing light colored shorts or pants if you're north of 40 years old, especially khaki...
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • I was in the 7th/8th grade when The Gong Show was a big deal. One of my friends was notorious for writing quick words of wit on the bathroom wall and signing it, "The Unknown Poet". Then one day this gem appeared....

"The Unknown Poet
      can blow it"

....The run of The Unknown Poet ceased that day.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • drybones, you reminded me of this joke i used to tell in elementary school XX years ago. i googled it so i wouldn't have to type the whole thing out. its about 98% the same way i told it:

The school bell rang just as little Johnny started eating a Popsicle, and since he didn't want to waste it, he stuck it in his pants pocket. In the classroom the teacher asked little Vicky what they called people who lived at the North Pole. She said, "Eskimos." Then teacher asked little Teresa what they called people who live in Mexico. She said, "Mexicans." The teacher asked Johnny what they called people who live in Europe, and Johnny said, "I don't know." Then super smart little Mary behind Johnny said, "European." Little Johnny's face turned read and he screamed , "I AM NOT! - My Popsicle is melting!"
      2,000 miler
    • True story. We left an after hours club (we were in our 20s) and my friend had to pee real bad so we stepped into the alley and he relieved himself. Right after a cop pops around the corner and accues us of drinking in public and pouring our beer out. My friend said we weren't
      The cop said well then whats this I'm standing in then? My buddy says: That's urine officer. We walked and I thought I would die laughing.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • On my final day of my 98 PCT LASH I woke up in a puddle. I had become so accustomed to the awesome Sierra weather that I had become lax in my campsite selection. My sleeping bag was soaked inside my bivy sack. I had ditched the tent when the girlfriend went home since it rarely rains ln the Sierra. I fired up my stove & made coffee, then cocoa & then some tea. I wasn't to concerned since I would be done & in a town that day. All I had to do was climb up to the pass, take a 4 mile side trip up Mt Whitney & then hike out & hitch 15 miles on a dead end road to town. The rain ended as I climbed higher...because it turned to snow. I could hear small rock slides as climbed higher in a white out. Wearing multiple layers including rainpants I was cursing how many times I had to stop & pee. Then just as I had finished up & continued hiking I heard another rock slide. This time I watched a 2' boulder bounce across the trail about chest high about 50' in front of me & crash into the ground on the other side like a meteor. I decided stopping to pee wasn't such a bad thing!