Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Allegheny National Forest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Allegheny National Forest

This isn't an AT trip. I probably won't see my first section of the AT until September.

Taking my daughter section hiking tomorrow on her first hike longer than 5 miles.
      We are planning to go about 11 miles in the Allegheny National Forest from Amsler Springs, along Salmon Creek, and north to Cougar Bob's Tavern in Ketlletville for celebratory burgers and shake.
      Rain or Shine. (looks like rain)
      I'm very nervous about this trip because I can not begin to stress how important it is that she feels challenged but not so challenged that she doesn't enjoy herself.
      One of my fears is that she will become disenchanted with hiking. She's so enthusiastic now and I want it to stay like this because soon she will be a teenager and all that beautiful wonder and energy will be replaced with mood swings and apathy.
    • I think it's great that you are doing that. I started taking my daughter on camping and little day hikes when she was 5. We would call them our "adventures". She still day hikes with me on occasion and goes camping with us. She'll be 24 next month.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • JamieWalks wrote:

This isn't an AT trip. I probably won't see my first section of the AT until September.

Taking my daughter section hiking tomorrow on her first hike longer than 5 miles.
      We are planning to go about 11 miles in the Allegheny National Forest from Amsler Springs, along Salmon Creek, and north to Cougar Bob's Tavern in Ketlletville for celebratory burgers and shake.
      Rain or Shine. (looks like rain)
      I'm very nervous about this trip because I can not begin to stress how important it is that she feels challenged but not so challenged that she doesn't enjoy herself.
      One of my fears is that she will become disenchanted with hiking. She's so enthusiastic now and I want it to stay like this because soon she will be a teenager and all that beautiful wonder and energy will be replaced with mood swings and apathy.
      Just follow her lead, your a mom, you'll know when it's time to bail...have a goodn'
    • Make sure there's some time for her to "play" along the way.
      Don't turn the hike into a death march. Laugh, sing, take goofy photos of each other and have some quality 1 on 1 time.
      My boys are in their 30s and still remember the bicycling adventures we had together, so make sure to make memories.
    • I congratulate you that you're experiencing the outdoors in Nature with your daughter.

When I introduce children or even adult Newbies to hiking I aim for the trips to not just be about hiking. Forced hiking/backpacking can easily turn off anyone from the very young to the octogenarians. As the group leader, conscientiously mixing the trip up with other activities helps keep them interested by introducing variety to what typically are shorter attention spans in this fast paced culture. Think about what other interests your daughter currently has that can be added into hiking trip.