Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ask a Chef

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Anyone have a good cookie recipé?

What kind of cookies?

Any will do. Us pack sniffers are entitled but not picky. I lost mine.
      i was slackin' a guy one year. mass. to katahdin. one day i'm waitin at grafton notch for him. i have a cooler set on the ground with beer in it for the guy when he arrives. a hiker woman shows up and asks me if i have trail magic for her. i said all i have is beer. she declines and tells me she was hoping for a coke. entitled AND picky
    • LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Anyone have a good cookie recipé?

What kind of cookies?

Any will do. Us pack sniffers are entitled but not picky. I lost mine.
      i was slackin' a guy one year. mass. to katahdin. one day i'm waitin at grafton notch for him. i have a cooler set on the ground with beer in it for the guy when he arrives. a hiker woman shows up and asks me if i have trail magic for her. i said all i have is beer. she declines and tells me she was hoping for a coke. entitled AND picky

I thought it was me until you said woman. Still don't grasp this entitled hiker prevalence or yogi thing. I plan for my own food needs.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • OK I actually am working on a issue with Bullion cubes and packets for backpacking. And I discovered they have screwed up over the last few years the actual product. As I work on finding a quick energy hot drink for winter that UL and just boil water, my dad mentioned when he was a boy 70 years ago - Bullion was quick energy! So yesterday in anticipation to the snow I went food shopping and picked up a bunch of different products & brands. Now I am trying them... they all suck! loaded with salt and sugar they removed all of the fat! Fat shuts down hunger and delivers quick energy not sugar & salt... Turns out back then they were very greasy cubes and they worked.... In order to get these things to taste right and work I had to add a teaspoon of beef tallow! Today there isn't any fat in these cube due to a uniformed public that eating fat makes you fat. I added 240 calories by adding dutch noodles, I just played with Herb ox sodium free packets and adding just a pinch of sea salt..

So here is where I am a glad bag a teaspoon of rendered beef tallow, 2-4 oz of micro noodles, Herbox sodium free ( flavor) and a dash of sea salt. 1cup of water and about 300 kcal. at about 2.5 ounces...(just did this in the last half hour)

My question chef - do you have a better idea or better product?

my research
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_cube
      http://www.eatnakednow.com/eatnaked/2013/05/08/the-fat-question-why-fat-doesnt-make-you-fat/
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Re:Ask a Chef

WOO
      Some grocery stores sell Beef or Chicken base which has the fat still in it. Just look carefully at the label because some have MSG and some don't. It comes in a jar that says refrigerate after opening but there is enough salt in there to kill most bacteria.

If you can't have the salt Packit Gourmet sells powdered chicken or beef stock that you can add fat. I use both in my trail dinners for flavor.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I think Beef Tallow is the way to go. It's shelf stable and easily transported. What about warming the tallow until it is liquid and then "soaking" a bouillon cube in it. Or, mix powdered (packet) bouillon with it and then reform into a cube or similar. Pack in plastic wrap in individual portions. Just a thought.
      You're doing it ALL wrong!!!

OK something happened to my post.
      1 Rasty huge thank you -
      2 Farmer Chef - you have an insight I would like to explore.

Rendered beef or bacon nether smell they can be mixed. but when added they do two things - once provided better flavor - like butter on potato, 2nd when they hit the stomach shut's down after 30 minutes.
    • So I'm at the movies the other day, and a trailer comes on for an upcoming movie....so in honor of our resident Chef....I give you "Chef"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2883512/
      Top 5000
      Chef (2014)
      Comedy - 9 May 2014 (USA)
      Not yet released (voting begins after release)
      A chef who loses his restaurant job starts up a food truck in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.

Director: Jon Favreau
      Writer: Jon Favreau
      Stars: Jon Favreau, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson | See full cast and crew »
    • Re:Re: Ask a Chef

rocksNsocks wrote:

So I'm at the movies the other day, and a trailer comes on for an upcoming movie....so in honor of our resident Chef....I give you "Chef"

Top 5000
      Chef (2014)
      A chef who loses his restaurant job starts up a food truck in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.

Stars: Jon Favreau, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson | See full cast and crew »

Here is the more normal storyline.

Chef who looses his job for getting caught drinking the cooking wine mixed with iced tea gets arrested for not paying his child support. It's a story of how the chef inspired the county lockup chef to finally purchase that food truck.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

So I'm at the movies the other day, and a trailer comes on for an upcoming movie....so in honor of our resident Chef....I give you "Chef"

Top 5000
      Chef (2014)

Here is the more normal storyline.

Chef who looses his job for getting caught drinking the cooking wine mixed with iced tea gets arrested for not paying his child support. It's a story of how the chef inspired the county lockup chef to finally purchase that food truck.
      Well, I probably won't go see that one on the "Big Screen" (those I reserve for action, horror, and big sky country type movies) but definitely I'll catch it on Netflix or the like.

Hey Rasty do you discard the Marinade on the trail or do you boil it too and incorporate it with the chicken ankles?

How does this affect Leavin no Trace? :whistle:

Kidding..

Better question what's your easy high calorie meal that you enjoy... that has lots of energy.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Ask a Chef

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Hey Rasty do you discard the Marinade on the trail or do you boil it too and incorporate it with the chicken ankles?

Kidding..

Better question what's your easy high calorie meal that you enjoy... that has lots of energy.

Dry Italian sausage and Pepper Jack Cheese and Almonds.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Kidding..

In da can?...that's good 46.gif

rocksNsocks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Kidding..

Have you ever tried this.

Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Kidding..

Have you ever tried this.

No, but I here it's great...but then what's not to like...it's bacon. I think I could eat bacon on a paint brush and i'd be good.
    • WOO-
      been working on a Ramen replacement myself- love them but not what's in them.

Haven't tried yet but looks good- nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-bouillon-portable-soup/

Verified Noodles- freezer bag cook just fine- kame.com/products/ingredients/noodles/chinese-noodleshttp://

Trader Joe's makes a good concentrated MSG free low sodium chicken broth in ketchup sized packets.
      Whole Food's has an organic veggie broth (low salt no garbage) that comes in cubes that make 1 quart at a crack (no pesky little cubes here).

Dried Jalepeno's and mushrooms to kick up the spicy and a little extra mushroom powder for the umami boost and it's a pretty good substitute.
    • Homemade Bouillon (Portable Soup)
      Yield: 16 cubes (16 Servings) Cook: 10 hrs 45 mins
      Homemade bouillon or portable soup is a simple, traditional way to keep stock always on hand without having to make it fresh every time. While the bouillon can be made without purchased gelatin, gelatin ensures that the bouillon comes together easily and firms up properly for long-term storage. Do not use vegetable scraps to flavor your stock as they may decrease the length of time you can store the bouillon and they will take much-needed space in your stock pot for gelatin-producing bones. You can purchase good quality bovine gelatin online.
      Ingredients
      10 pounds meaty bones (chicken, beef, lamb, pork, etc.)
      2 tablespoons black peppercorns
      2 bay leaves
      2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
      2 tablespoons gelatin (optional)

Instructions Preheat the oven to 425 F.
      Place the bones in a large baking dish, and roast them for 45 minutes.
      Place the roasted bones, peppercorns and bay leaves in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot. Cover with filtered water and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for eight to ten hours.
      Strain the stock into a large mixing bowl through a fine-mesh sieve. Refrigerate for at least eight and up to twenty-four hours. You should have about one gallon of stock.
      The stock should gel in the refrigerator, but it's not necessary. The fat will rise to the top of the stock. Pick it off and reserve it for another use such as frying vegetables or braising meat.
      Transfer the stock to a shallow, wide-mouthed pot, stir in salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue simmering until the stock is reduced to 1 cup, about forty-five minutes depending on the surface area of your pot. Please note that the amount of time it takes to reduce 1 gallon of stock to 1 cup will depend on the size of your pan. A very wide and shallow pan will allow the stock to reduce in about 45 minutes, a traditional stock pot will take several hours.
      Whisk gelatin into the hot stock and pour into a small container about 4 inches by 4 inches. Refrigerate for at least eight hours, cut into cubes about 1-inch by 1-inch. You can further dry out the cubes by setting them gently on a cotton cloth or napkin in the refrigerator or other cold place in your kitchen for a further eight to twenty-four hours.
      Each cube of bouillon will produce one cup of stock. Simply drop the homemade bouillon cube into one cup hot water, stir to dissolve and serve. The bouillon cubes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for at least six months.
    • Honest do ya think we need to pack sushi down the trail? I love the nutritionist that shows up every year and needs to go away - after that post a few years back that I hiked the trail by eating junkfood all the way - blew the nutritionists out of the water. I dug into that and the guy was right - fat deliverers the best energy and there is no crash.

The other goodie is the nuts that recommend Military MRE - which is packed with water and weighs a pound and 1000+ calories.

Here is what I am talking about post 29!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101774-What-do-you-eat-if-you-don-t-use-a-stove/page2

Pass the Dorito's I am going cyber hiking!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2291221/How-sushi-make-FAT-Japanese-dish-calories-McDonalds-Big-Mac-fries.html
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Honest do ya think we need to pack sushi down the trail? I love the nutritionist that shows up every year and needs to go away - after that post a few years back that I hiked the trail by eating junkfood all the way - blew the nutritionists out of the water. I dug into that and the guy was right - fat deliverers the best energy and there is no crash.

The other goodie is the nuts that recommend Military MRE - which is packed with water and weighs a pound and 1000+ calories.

Here is what I am talking about post 29!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101774-What-do-you-eat-if-you-don-t-use-a-stove/page2

Pass the Dorito's I am going cyber hiking!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2291221/How-sushi-make-FAT-Japanese-dish-calories-McDonalds-Big-Mac-fries.html

Good info on sushi. I love it and make it at home but don't delude myself that it's healthy.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I just love it - some person weighs in each year that clearly don't hike of backpack and might as well have the voice recognition software attached to his or her sphincter. Ya can't make this up.... that's my take - sorry if I offended anyone... I cannot imagine how way off base that post was.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I just love it - some person weighs in each year that clearly don't hike of backpack and might as well have the voice recognition software attached to his or her sphincter. Ya can't make this up.... that's my take - sorry if I offended anyone... I cannot imagine how way off base that post was.

I wasn't offended. Have you ever eaten Nori? It's awful.
      Lost in the right direction.