Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Overnight at the Priest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Overnight at the Priest

I parked at the Tye River and walked up the Priest on Sunday. I stopped to eat tuna about 2/3 up. I took my time going up the 3000 foot elevation change. I reached the shelter in 3 hours and 40 minutes. I spent the night alone. On Monday I walked down in 2 hours and 45 minutes. I am a little sore now, but I feel a lot better than I did after my approach trail yoyo.

I took a group picture of more than half a dozen day hikers in the parking lot. One asked me which way I was going. I said I would go up the Priest if they were going north. The day hiker told me not to worry, since they would not be spending the night in the shelter. The day hikers passed me on the way up. They left shortly after I reached the shelter.

One lady walked north to the intersection with the shelter side trail, kept going straight down to the shelter, wandered around for a while, and finally asked me which way to the view. I walked with her up to the sign and told her to climb about 200 feet of elevation, and to find the view she wanted between the two peaks. There are views on both sides of the trail.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does