Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AT Footpath

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AT Footpath

atconservancy.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/a-not-so-wild-gal/

A (not-so) ‘Wild’ gal by Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Ellen Gass on the Appalachian Trail//Photos and text by Ellen Gass, guest blogger

Let me start by saying that I loved “Wild.” I loved the book. I loved the movie. I loved the way they captured many of the struggles and fears that hikers, especially solo female hikers, have while backpacking. And, it gave me a sincere appreciation for the fact that my toenails fell off on their own without having to rip them off.

After returning from six months on the Appalachian Trail (A.T.), one of the questions I get a lot (after “How was it?” – a question that is impossible to answer in less than 45 minutes and without a 400-plus photo slideshow) is “What did you learn?” or “How did you grow as a person?” There are, indeed, a lot of things I learned. For example: porcupines will eat your shirt if you leave it out to dry on a bench at night. Most hikers carry at least one or two things they could do without, luxury items you might say. I learned that a shirt is not a luxury item. A shirt is something you need. I also definitely grew as a person. Confidence abounds after keeping yourself alive in the woods for months at a time. However, I have found that people seem to be looking for a more of a “Wild” answer.

Now, many people who spend time on the Trail do have “Wild” experiences. The Trail is a great place to heal, grow, and learn about yourself. I have been blessed to spend more than 10 years hiking and working on the Trail. It has changed me, but those changes have been slower, more gradual. So this fall, making my way from Katahdin to Springer, my Trail experience was more of a vacation than a spiritual journey. That’s to say, while every so often the thought, “I bet people think I’m contemplating the meaning of life right now” would cross my mind, the actual meaning of life rarely did. The expectation that spending so much time in the woods will lead to spiritual musings, an understanding of who I really am (other than a very hungry hiker), and an enlightened sense of self, is so pervasive, though, that I’d like to give you a taste of what really happens in the brain of a long distance hiker.

I found that sometimes, when I’m hiking . . .

I use my trekking poles as a microphone and dance down the Trail.

I throw my snot bandana over my shoulder and pretend it’s a cape and I’m a super-hero flying down the Trail.

I pretend I’m a NASCAR driver banking on the downhill turns (no one goes fast on uphill turns). But only on the left turns - on the right turns, I pretend I’m a Formula One Driver.
      I pretend the ground is lava, and I have to jump from rock to rock in order not to burn up.

I pretend that I am one of the elephants from Salvador Dali’s paintings, and my trekking poles are my long spindly front legs. Then I take giant tromping steps.
      I wonder if I can climb that, then I check to see if I am right.
      I wonder if it’s too soon to have another snack break, or if you can eat too many sour gummi worms. (Answer: You can’t.)
      I wonder if I have been hiking for too long . . . nah!
      From idly dreaming about long hiking trips to working seasonally, then full-time for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, Ellen is excited that she had the opportunity to turn her on-again, off-again flirtation with the Trail into a fully committed relationship this past summer and fall when she spent six months hiking more than 1,700 miles of the AT.

With a few miles left to go, Ellen is happy to say that she is not done, and is still hiking the Trail (albeit not on the Trail these days). Stay tuned for the full story and the rest of Ellen’s hike in a future issue of A.T. Journeys, and in the meantime, check out her bloghere.
      its all good
    • atconservancy.wordpress.com/20…ary-step-for-thru-hikers/

A new (voluntary) step for thru-hikers
      BEHIND THE SCENES,NEWS FROM THE TRAIL
      ALTERNATIVE THRU HIKES, APPALACHIAN TRAIL, APPALACHIAN TRAIL CONSERVANCY,KATAHDIN, LONG DISTANCE HIKING,SPRINGER MOUNTAIN, THRU HIKERS, VOLUNTARY REGISTRATION SYSTEM

2013 thru-hikers Ninja, Bluetick, Ado and Smooth celebrate their arrival at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy//Harpers Ferry, West Virginia//Photo courtesy Chris “Smooth” Cage//Text by Anne Baker, marketing assistant

Thru-hiker fever has officially set in. And with the general preparations like gear shakedowns, meal planning, mail drop logistics and (in some cases) quitting your job to hike thousands of miles, there’s another way the class of 2015 is getting ready for a thru-hike: voluntary registration.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) launched its Thru-Hiker Voluntary Registration system this year with the goal of not only better managing the Appalachian Trail (A.T.), but also enhancing the thru-hiker experience. With movies like “Wild” and “A Walk in the Woods” drawing attention to two of America’s national scenic trails, something had to be done to spread out the volume of thru-hikers who hit the A.T. at peak times. This voluntary registration system is one way the ATC hopes to address potential overcrowding, especially at the southern end of the A.T. in March and April

Currently, more than 800 people have registered their thru-hikes through this system, allowing hikers to see how many have plan to start their thru-hike on a particular day and giving them a chance to see when crowded conditions will exist. Prospective thru-hikers can see on what days thru-hikers have registered not only for northbound and southbound thru-hikes, but also for thru-hikes starting in Harpers Ferry or other locations.

This planning feature is especially appealing to hikers like Barbara “Firefly,” who will set out on a thru-hike this year with her 26-year-old son:

“When we started planning, we intentionally looked into the traditionally crowded start days and tried to avoid those as well as avoiding a weekend start. I really think for many people, being able to look and visually see days that are already packed will help future thru-hikers spread themselves out.”

Hiking the A.T. is practically a lifelong dream for Firefly, who began planning her hike when she was 12. Back then, she was using the library and snail mail to gather information while also getting firsthand experience by working on trail crews. Yet it wasn’t until now that she felt like she could to take the amount of time off that’s required for a thru-hike, and when she began planning again, she realized that the A.T.—and the process of planning—had changed.

“I was a bit sad at a lot of the negatives I’ve heard concerning problems resulting from overcrowding, especially at the both ends of the Trail. As a lifelong dream I couldn’t let go of the idea of a traditional thru-hike, even though the cool breeze option looks awesome. The reality is we are approaching our hike with a degree of flexibility, evaluating our progress along the way and if needed changing to an alternative itinerary.”

Firefly’s willingness to embrace an alternative plan if necessary is asentiment that is growing among potential thru-hikers. It’s good timing, too—as the popularity of long-distance hiking trails increases, the A.T. will benefit from those who recognize that a thru-hike doesn’t have to start at Springer Mountain, or even Katahdin. After all, the journey isn’t so much about the destination, but the process of getting there.

To everyone who has registered their thru-hike, and especially those who made an effort to avoid popular start dates or even selected an alternative starting location, thanks for making the A.T. an incredible hiking and camping experience—and for helping it stay that way.

Have a comment about our voluntary registration system? Email AT-ThruStartDate@appalachiantrail.org
      its all good

• Randall Brooks, now and then//Photos courtesy Randall Brooks//Text by Olivia Pridemore, summer events intern
      As many of you know, we are currently celebrating 90 years of protecting and managing the Appalachian Trail. But 2015 has ushered an additional 90th occasion. June 19 marked the 90th birthday of one of our dedicated members, Randall Brooks. In his 90 years, Randall has led an eventful and adventurous life, in which his experiences have fostered a deep passion for protecting the place that has become a sanctuary to him, the Appalachian Trail.
      Randall Brooks is the youngest of eight children. Sorrow struck the Brooks family mere months before Randall’s birth with the passing of his father. Therefore, Randall and his siblings bore the brunt of responsibility. Just a year before he graduated high school, Randall’s mother passed as well, leaving the children to fend for themselves. However, Randall’s hardships were far from over.
      [IMG:https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/yD2KDxs0X9wq9sFu5qGGuxdxfcHqWC05vX4S4VoaBGmOEYiGtENwCmwpo47PmT6Hr5apkfEmgW-Pr-qPlA9qrAowwDf_tlZnCyLvM16TaAtyNTH-vmDLjrcOFBkqVKcrlpWQoIk=s0-d-e1-ft#https://atconservancy.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/atc_rp10883_005-scr.jpg?w=215]

In the midst of World War II, Randall was required to register for the draft as soon as he turned eighteen. Four months later he was sent to infantry training in Alabama, and found himself stationed in Italy within the year. Before his 19th birthday, Randall was serving in combat along with three of his brothers. Times were hard, and some of them incurred injuries. But thankfully, all four of the Brooks Boys made it safely home to the U.S. After returning from the war, Randall attended The College of William and Mary under the GI Bill. He later went on to do graduate work in history at George Washington University and McGill University in Montreal, Canada.

Randall’s hiking experience began when joined the Wanderbirds Hiking Club, an organization established in the 1930s that is still active today. Many of the Wanderbirds were also members of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC). Thanks to the exposure from his friends, Randall became a life member of the PATC in 1986 and a life member of the ATC in 1989.

The spirit of adventure has driven Randall to experience the world. His travels have taken him to all fifty states and more than 40 countries. Yet of all the wonders he has seen, it is the Appalachian Trail that holds a claim on his heart. Despite his persistent back issues, Randall has hiked in 13 of the 14 states represented on the Trail. Randall’s favorite hike involved scaling Mt. Washington, a feat he described as both his greatest challenge and joy.

Over the years, Randall has come to learn the importance of protecting the Trail the he holds so dear. He has consistently prioritized volunteering and giving in a way that is truly inspiring. His numerous contributions include hands-on work clearing the trail corridor and years of faithfully manning the Information Desk at the PATC headquarters. In 2001, Randall established a generous Gift Annuity of $100,000, and is proudly a Steward Level member of the Benton MacKaye Society.

Although he has no children, Randall Brooks strives to leave a legacy within the community. He recognizes the importance of engaging today’s youth. In his words, the Appalachian Trail is brimming with “natural beauty and cultural heritage. It is our world, and we must do what we can to ensure [the Appalachian Trail’s extraordinary scenic, spiritual and educational qualities] for centuries to come.” Randall also believes that there should be “more diversity among members and hikers.” Randall’s views are directly in line with our Five Year Strategic Plan, and what better advocate for this lofty goal than a man who has seen the Trail grow and develop across the span of several generations.

When celebrating our 90th anniversary, it is important to remember individuals like Randall Brooks who helped us get here. Without the support of more than 43,000 members, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy would not be where it is today. And consequently, the A.T. would be far different from the lush, natural sanctuary so many have grown to love.
      Want to get involved in our 90th anniversary celebrations? Find out more here.
      [/td]
      [/tr]
      [/table]
      its all good

• Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala 2014//Photos courtesy of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy Facebook page//Text by Olivia Pridemore, summer events intern
      On July 16, we will be hosting our 6th annual Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala. At first glance, awards ceremonies have an air of formality and prestige. While that is certainly the case, it is easy to overlook the indirect benefits of such an event. So what is it that makes an awards Gala truly valuable for a nonprofit organization like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC)?
      Interestingly most, if not all, nonprofit organizations hold an annual awards Gala. These types of awards ceremonies are great for revitalizing and invigorating current partners, as well as inspiring new members to join the cause. For the ATC, the Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala is a time to reflect on all that we have achieved. With more than 2190 miles, preserving the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) is by no means an easy task. Without the hard work of the ATC and our numerous partners, future generations would not be able to experience the natural, scenic beauty of the trail as we do today. It is important to take a step back and recognize the progress we have made.
      Due to the persistence of its champions, more than 99 percent of the A.T. is protected by right- of- ways, easements, state parks, and various other means of private ownership. However, much has yet to be done. Now that most of the corridor is protected, our focus can shift to maintaining viewsheds, curbing the impact of invasive species, and mitigating development proposals that threaten the quality of the hiking experience. The Gala helps boost moral by offering encouragement and recognition of all we have accomplished by showcasing the fruits of our labor. But it also reminds us to keep pushing forward. For those who aren’t familiar with the ATC, the Gala offers enlightenment to the challenges involved with preserving and maintaining the longest hiking-only footpath in the world. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that the Leader’s in Conservation Awards Gala is also one of our biggest fundraising opportunities.
      In addition to the fundraising aspect of the event, the Gala allows us to increase our presence in D.C. Out of the 14 Trail states, 27 congressional districts are represented. All of the Representatives of the aforementioned districts, as well as 28 Senators, are invited to attend the annual Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala. The political opportunities associated with the Gala are absolutely invaluable. The ATC’s connections within the federal government strengthen our ability to effectively preserve the Trail. Together with our partners in the Department of the Interior, Congressional staff, and many other key individuals and organizations, the ATC uses its political front to lobby for land protection and obtain funding from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. The Gala plays a large role in maintaining these political connections, as well as displaying our appreciation for continued support in preserving the Trail as a haven for all to enjoy. Moreover, we strive to make the Gala a balanced, bipartisan event by honoring individuals from both political parties. The main focus of the Gala is, in fact, the Trail. By taking a fair and equalized approach to the Gala, we hope to create an environment in which we can foster friendly relations between all parties. Therefore, when moving forward in the future, we can all work together for a common goal. With bipartisan aid, we will be one step closer to fulfilling our mission: to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come.
      This year’s Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala is sure to be a success. We are excited for the opportunity to celebrate our achievements, recognize those who have helped us along the way, and look forward to the future. This year we will be honoring one of our corporate sponsors (REI), Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), and Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) for their outstanding contributions to preserving and maintaining the Appalachian Trail.
      Want to learn more about the Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala or purchase tickets? Visit here
      its all good
    • Taking a Look at the Big Picture
      Text by Laura Belleville, Director of Conservation of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy
      Here at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, a day does not go by where we, and our trail management partners, don’t hear about hikers engaged in activities that are not compatible with Trail values. That’s not to say that there aren’t thousands of hikers that are doing the right thing, but more and more it seems to be tipping in the other direction. And as Baxter State Park has called out, it’s time to wrestle this issue to the ground.
      We need everyone’s help. When I think about inappropriate behavior on the Trail I recall the widely popular and effective anti-littering campaign in the 1980s. This campaign was effective because it depicted the extent of litter across our lands and asked everyone to take a hard look at what they were doing to contribute to the growing problem.
      Let’s face it, we could all benefit from taking a hard look at how we behave on the Trail. Day hikers, thru-hikers, section hikers all have a responsibility to protect the unique experience of hiking a world-renowned National Scenic Trail. It’s a precious resource that should not be tarnished. Frankly, the last thing I want to hear is that a hiker chooses to hike elsewhere because the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) is no longer the outdoor experience we have all come to revere.
      So, here’s a message from all trail managers: please, help out the Trail. It would be great if GOOD trail behavior goes viral. Here are some ways you can contribute to the effort:
      • Know before you go. The A.T. is unique in that it crosses 14 state borders, eight different national forests, six national park units and numerous state park, forest and game lands. Those lands are all managed for different purposes, which means the way you enjoy those lands will vary. But that’s just part of the A.T. experience!
      • Remember respect. Respect the Trail and those who choose to walk it. It’s just good Trail Karma.
      • Help others make the right decision. With such a large amount of people choosing to visit the A.T., the chances are great that any one of us may inadvertently damage the natural area around the Trail. Brush up on Leave No Trace here, and remind others when necessary.
      We welcome your ideas and suggestions to promote the good while minimizing the bad. Let us know your ideas by commenting below.
      View our response to the Baxter State Park Facebook post about this issue here.
      its all good
    • So, how does a hiker "Help others make the right decision"? Any tips?

I know I have a responsibility but I'm not going to preach, I'm not going to be rude, and I'm definitely not going to risk causing someone to become aggressive towards me. Which means I usually keep my mouth shut.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

So, how does a hiker "Help others make the right decision"? Any tips?

I know I have a responsibility but I'm not going to preach, I'm not going to be rude, and I'm definitely not going to risk causing someone to become aggressive towards me. Which means I usually keep my mouth shut.
      i've called out people for leaving trash behind. empty fuel cans at shelters(hey, you forgot this!!)as well as a few people who were clueless when it came to bear bagging, explaining that hanging your food on a shrub just outside your tent is not a good idea.
      one thing about the bmt is you dont come across many newbies.refreshing.
      its all good
    • Last year at Overmountain shelter there were some issues. There were a ton of people there but no one said a word. A ridge runner showed up and set people straight. I was already uncomfortable being there and couldn't bring myself to say anything. I ended up isolating myself and sleeping in my tent near the ridge runner.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

i've called out people for leaving trash behind. empty fuel cans at shelters(hey, you forgot this!!)as well as a few people who were clueless when it came to bear bagging, explaining that hanging your food on a shrub just outside your tent is not a good idea.one thing about the bmt is you dont come across many newbies.refreshing.
      I agree, but I believe most of the trash I see on the BMT are from hunters. I don't have a particular dislike for hunters but I'm even less likely to try to correct or educate a hunter than a novice AT hiker.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I try not to leave anything behind, for many years now. But I've always been forgetful.

My high school buddies and I would walk across the campsite, the parts we indivdualy didn't sleep, and check for debris, fires smoldering, etc.

Pick up, clean up, and douse.

Then we tried it perpendicular from the previous walk through.

Done so no one person checks the same part over and over. The human brain skips things that are familliar.

Seems to be the normal thing to do, to me.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

i've called out people for leaving trash behind. empty fuel cans at shelters(hey, you forgot this!!)as well as a few people who were clueless when it came to bear bagging, explaining that hanging your food on a shrub just outside your tent is not a good idea.one thing about the bmt is you dont come across many newbies.refreshing.

I've probably told this story before, but...

I think the most annoying time I had trying to teach a lesson was trashing out an (unlawful) campsite in the local nature preserve while a group of teenage boys was there. They pitched their empty beer cans at me while I was picking up, and were saying words to the effect of "haw, haw, look at that loser!"

I simply said, "I don't really like cleaning up after other people in the first place, but if you're going to act like pigs and make it necessary, could you just hand me the cans and save me the trouble of picking them up?"

What I really felt like doing was pissing on their shoes.

Maybe they thought about it later. Oh well, I tried.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

• Lyn Widmyer, an ATC volunteer, stands with her son Nick before he sets out on his hike along the Appalachian Trail in Virginia//Photo and text courtesy of Lyn
      In 1996, writer Bill Bryson attempted to hike all 2,200 miles of the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) He failed. But he succeeded big time with his humorous account of the trip. His book, “A Walk in the Woods,” quickly became a best seller and inspired a lot more people to hike the Trail. The upsurge in hikers was called the Bryson Bump.
      Another Bryson Bump is expected in September when the movie version of the book, starring Robert Redford, premiers. In 1996, when Bryson attempted his thru-hike, 334 people joined the 2,000 mile club, the official roster of those completing the entire A.T. between Springer Mountain, Georgia and Katahdin, Maine in less than a year. In 2014, the list expanded to 714, an all-time record. The Bryson Bump is expected to inspire even more hikers in 2016.
      Some thru-hikers (those who complete the entire Trail in less than a year), are disdainful of Bryson because he “only” hiked 200 or so miles before ending his quest.
      Benton MacKaye, founder of the A.T., would not share their disdain. He envisioned the Trail as an escape for “toilers in the bee-hive cities along the Atlantic seaboard.” Harried urban dwellers could escape to the Trail for a day or a week, but McKay never thought people would thru-hike the Trail all at once. In 1948, World War II veteran Earl Shaffer became the first to report a thru-hike. He wanted to “walk the army out of [his] system.”
      Only one in four hikers who attempt the entire Trail actually succeed. Most hikers complete different portions of the Trail over a longer time period. My first day volunteering at the A.T. Visitors Center in Harpers Ferry, WV, an elderly woman appeared and announced she had just completed the Trail. We all cheered. How long did it take you? I asked. “Nineteen years,” she replied. For two decades, her husband drove her to different locations on the Trail and then retrieved her days or weeks later.
      Clearly, Bryson was a bit naïve thinking he could hike the rigorous Trail with very little preparation or hiking experience. In "A Walk in the Woods," Bryson realizes his quest is over while sitting in a shelter in Tennessee looking at a map of the A.T. He writes,
      For someone like me, who considers a stroll along the C&O Canal towpath a major hiking event, Bryson’s decision to abandon his quest is very understandable. When I see thru-hikers at the Visitors Center loaded down with 45 pound packs, exhausted, hungry and reeking of sweat, I know even section hiking the Trail is not in my future. But my fascination with the A.T. only increases with each hiker I meet.
      I agree with Bryson’s description of the Trail:
      Experience the miracle. Park near the A.T. Visitors Center and walk into Harpers Ferry National Historical Park on the Appalachian Trail. The hike is less than a mile.
      Now that’s my idea of a walk in the woods.
      Appalachian Trail Conservancy | August 28, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Tags: A Walk in the Woods,Appalachian Trail, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, backpacking, Bill Bryson, hiking, thru hikers | Categories: A Walk in the Woods | URL: wp.me/p5szZo-3k[/td]
      [/tr]
      [/table]
      its all good