Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

begging for vacation money

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Couldn't agree more. Yes, there are certain professions where you simply have to have the applicable degree, but not most.

Hell, you wanna make some serious money? Hire on with a plumber and learn the trade with an eye towards going out on your own in due time.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Wanna know what's even more screwed up? To become a licensed surveyor in SC you need a 4 year degree. What's screwed up about that, you ask? There's not a single institution in the state that offers a 4 year surveying degree. The closest is in TN.
    • Yeah, one school we looked at or rather one she got excepted to was $49,000 a year..."Sorry dear, that happenin" She agreed. When the kids have to pony up for some of it, they all seem to want to sharpen their pencils. And that's a good thing, at least they're thinkin'...I like that, cause dam, that's a mortgage!
    • Foresight wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Yes, there are certain professions where you simply have to have the applicable degree, but not most.

Hell, you wanna make some serious money? Hire on with a plumber and learn the trade with an eye towards going out on your own in due time.
      Pipefitter/Plumber/Welder here, the trade has been real good to me over the years, except it whooped the dog outta me, but it truly was a fine living. :) I loved it.

Spent 2 years in County collage...blue prints and drafting and math, then a few years later served a 5 year apprenticeship...loved it!
    • socks wrote:

I tell any kid these days...don't over look state school...please! and even then tuition is ridiculous.

I was accepted to UCONN, in 1999, since then tuition and board have increased 2.5 fold. Somehow I doubt that students graduating today are expecting make 2.5x as much at their jobs as we did when we graduated...
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

socks wrote:

I tell any kid these days...don't over look state school...please! and even then tuition is ridiculous.

I was accepted to UCONN, in 1999, since then tuition and board have increased 2.5 fold. Somehow I doubt that students graduating today are expecting make 2.5x as much at their jobs as we did when we graduated...

I feel bad for them...and then they have to find a job in a not so great economy. Talk about feeling disenfranchised.
      they all look to us adults like how could we let this happen on our watch...and I don't have a good answer for em, not one that'll make a difference anyway.
    • sales is a career you dont need any degree for, once you've learned the psychology of selling,there is no limit to earning potential and you will never be unemployed.sales is necessary to every business.
      there is no such thing as a born salesperson. anyone can be trained to sell.
      basic principle: you dont sell a product or service. you sell the benefits of using the product or service.when you can get the prospect to see the benefits of doing business with you, all you have to do is ask for the order.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Foresight wrote:

So they all decide to go hike the AT. So the start numbers go to 7K. So the BMT gets made an alternate. So now HB has to go to MT and hike to WA.

Morale of the story? It's all Astro's fault because he's an Astro's fan. Yup yup.

first off its obamas fault
      secondly i still have my eye on the idaho centennial trail

That's cool too, cause he's probably a Cub's fan.

My tuition at Clemson was $804/semester in 1983.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I got to say - some may take this the wrong way - its better to give, than to take. Some can call it philanthropy or donation - hell its better than a tax. I heard someone is hiking the trail on one leg this year. I would donate to that guy. Its a helping hand.

She's a chick. I met her at the ATKO. She has a prosthetic leg.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Nursing is the best job of all. What other job can you work any time of day, any day of week, and as much or as little as you want? You can even travel or work behind a desk, you meet all kinds of great people, and you provide a valuable service. All you have to do is put up with a little BS, a LOT of paper work, a few death threats, and maybe a few chairs thrown at you. Other than that, I highly recommend it!

(not sarcasm, I seriously love being a nurse)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Nursing is the best job of all. What other job can you work any time of day, any day of week, and as much or as little as you want? You can even travel or work behind a desk, you meet all kinds of great people, and you provide a valuable service. All you have to do is put up with a little BS, a LOT of paper work, a few death threats, and maybe a few chairs thrown at you. Other than that, I highly recommend it!

My sister would agree along with the pay not being bad either. She's now well over $50 an hour straight time.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Nursing is the best job of all. What other job can you work any time of day, any day of week, and as much or as little as you want? You can even travel or work behind a desk, you meet all kinds of great people, and you provide a valuable service. All you have to do is put up with a little BS, a LOT of paper work, a few death threats, and maybe a few chairs thrown at you. Other than that, I highly recommend it!

My sister would agree along with the pay not being bad either. She's now well over $50 an hour straight time.

And you can become a nurse through 2 yr, community college programs that cost way less than 4 yr universities. Associate degree nurses get paid the same as bachelor's degree nurses. However, that route closes up some management opportunities.
    • milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

She was bitchin' about her CEU's the other day. :)
    • twistwrist wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I got to say - some may take this the wrong way - its better to give, than to take. Some can call it philanthropy or donation - hell its better than a tax. I heard someone is hiking the trail on one leg this year. I would donate to that guy. Its a helping hand.

She's a chick. I met her at the ATKO. She has a prosthetic leg.

Oh hell, better hope she ain't a gram weenie or that prosthesis will be chunked in lieu of a titanium "trekking pole".

I can see it now....

"My base weight is 7lb 4 oz"

"Uhhhhhh, no ma'am, that leg aint permanent no more, gotta add it in. I'm in at 8lb 1oz FTW"
    • TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

And you can become a nurse through 2 yr, community college programs that cost way less than 4 yr universities. Associate degree nurses get paid the same as bachelor's degree nurses. However, that route closes up some management opportunities.

If I had to do it all over again I would seriously consider this profession. Possibly a Practitioner. Either that or a pilot for Delta. Or a Game Commissioner for the State of FL. Each getting less lucrative but more heartfelt.
    • milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

If I had to do it all over again I would seriously consider this profession. Possibly a Practitioner. Either that or a pilot for Delta. Or a Game Commissioner for the State of FL. Each getting less lucrative but more heartfelt.

There's definitely not enough men in the profession. It's hard working with all women sometimes... the drama!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

There's definitely not enough men in the profession. It's hard working with all women sometimes... the drama!

I heard that men actually have an advantage when it comes to getting hired.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

You guys...gals work some pretty long hours as well. I use to work in a hospital as a contractor renovating an ER, and putting in a Cardiac Cath unit, MRI's, and Medical Gases. Wow, they do put up with some crap come Fri and Saturday night, that's when we would do our shut downs for the main hospital at like 1 am, but the ER was jumpin' all night long, heard some crazy stories coming out of peoples mouths, some really sad too. eee yikes
    • hikerboy wrote:

Foresight wrote:

So they all decide to go hike the AT. So the start numbers go to 7K. So the BMT gets made an alternate. So now HB has to go to MT and hike to WA.

Morale of the story? It's all Astro's fault because he's an Astro's fan. Yup yup.

first off its obamas fault
      secondly i still have my eye on the idaho centennial trail

I'll get you to the Bib one day..... ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • ah man, this one time a kid maybe 20 something gets brought in by ambulance, and he is covered in blood. Turns out he tried to cut off his penis (I guess he was mad at it). They put him right by the nurses station on suicide watch. So later on that night this one electrician walks in his area to do something, and says "Hey bud, hows it hangin" he hadn't heard what had happen to the kid. I can laugh about it now, but it was a show stopper at the time. everybody jaw just dropped.
    • I couldn't do it. A friend of mine is an ER doc and some of the crap I hear from him.........not me man, some of them folks woulda died.

He used to have a blog way back when (his hospital made him shut it down although he didn't use real names or locations) and he would post a lot of the more off the wall crap in it. Such as the drug addict hooker who insisted on having her baby doggie style......yup, violent BM ensued.....I would've made her go away. Not for me.
    • socks wrote:

ah man, this one time a kid maybe 20 something gets brought in by ambulance, and he is covered in blood. Turns out he tried to cut off his penis (I guess he was mad at it). They put him right by the nurses station on suicide watch. So later on that night this one electrician walks in his area to do something, and says "Hey bud, hows it hangin" he hadn't heard what had happen to the kid. I can laugh about it now, but it was a show stopper at the time. everybody jaw just dropped.

Is this another one of them gotcha's? You've got me on post alert now. :)
    • ... back to the topic :)

I'm FB friends with a girl who used gofundme to pay for her 5 yr old's football camp. (BTW, she let her 5 yr old wear a Just Breathe shirt. Some friends on FB warned her that this would put him in danger from the cops). This girl is mid twenties, single, and is on again off again with the cheating "baby daddy" (her words) of her son. She just had another baby that was a planned pregnancy. She works for close to minimum wage.

The above scenario is a perfect example of our effed up society. I couldn't bring myself to contribute to her acct.

On the other hand, my daughter is a 4th grade teacher in an inner city school. 100% of her kids get free lunches. She has special ed kids and she wanted 2 pair of headphones for her classroom because it helps the kids concentrate better. The school wouldn't purchase them so she did a gofundme acct for $75. She got the money within a few minutes.
    • milkman wrote:

socks wrote:

ah man, this one time a kid maybe 20 something gets brought in by ambulance, and he is covered in blood. Turns out he tried to cut off his penis (I guess he was mad at it). They put him right by the nurses station on suicide watch. So later on that night this one electrician walks in his area to do something, and says "Hey bud, hows it hangin" he hadn't heard what had happen to the kid. I can laugh about it now, but it was a show stopper at the time. everybody jaw just dropped.

I'm sorry I should have said truth on that one...that is the Gods honest true story right there.
    • socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

socks wrote:

I'm sorry I should have said truth on that one...that is the Gods honest true story right there.

I know you're the "invisible" one right now. :)
    • socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

socks wrote:

Sorry, but that's an LOL moment.
    • Being a firefighter rocks. Shifts vary, with some departments having 24 on/48 off, 24/72, and various other combinations. Generally you work around 10 days a month anywhere I've heard of or talked to people, whatever the rotation may be. Pay isn't all that much, but you get to haul ass down the street, making lots of noise, traffic (sometimes) getting out of your way, and then you get to play with fire! More often than not, people don't give us hell like they do cops. A lot of people even when they call a cop fo rhelp they want to give the poor cop sh!t. Generally speaking people are happy to see us even at the worst of times. You don't even have to grow up! We're living proof that the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. No college required in most cases (unless you want to move farther up the food chain--but why?), and larger departments have an academy so you get exactly the training they want you to have. Smaller departments it varies but generally you can get the training for nothing, and in some cases (adademies) get paid while in training. I can't even fathom having another job.

Oh, and women for some strange reason just freaking love firefighters. Even fat ones considerably older than they are. WOOT WOOT!
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • TrafficJam wrote:

... back to the topic :)

I'm FB friends with a girl who used gofundme to pay for her 5 yr old's football camp. (BTW, she let her 5 yr old wear a Just Breathe shirt. Some friends on FB warned her that this would put him in danger from the cops). This girl is mid twenties, single, and is on again off again with the cheating "baby daddy" (her words) of her son. She just had another baby that was a planned pregnancy. She works for close to minimum wage.

The above scenario is a perfect example of our effed up society. I couldn't bring myself to contribute to her acct.

On the other hand, my daughter is a 4th grade teacher in an inner city school. 100% of her kids get free lunches. She has special ed kids and she wanted 2 pair of headphones for her classroom because it helps the kids concentrate better. The school wouldn't purchase them so she did a gofundme acct for $75. She got the money within a few minutes.

I liked this because you were trying to get back on topic. Hard to do when you're working the nut ward. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

... back to the topic :)

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

socks wrote:

Sorry, but that's an LOL moment.
      Well, we did laugh our kahonis off at coffee break that night, but I didn't want to sound to insensitive. :D
    • milkman wrote:

socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

socks wrote:

I know you're the "invisible" one right now. :)
      yeah I just found that the other day and got it workin...spose I should turn it off...ON.