Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Little Tips and Ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Take the Coleman wipes and spread them out to dry. Fold them back up and put them in a ziplock. You now have 30 large wet wipes that used to weigh about half a pound but now weight about two ounces. When you want to clean up put one in ziplock add a little water to rehydrate. Wipe your face off, then your pits and then your well you know.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • wups, posted this in the wrong thread earlier:

Here's a clothes line trick I learned from some SOBO thru's a couple years ago. If you do not have a clothes line you can make a short one with your hiking poles. Stick one in the ground vertically about four feet from a tree with a fork or limb 3 to 4 ft off the ground. Stick one end of the other pole in the fork or rest it on the branch and put the other end in the handle strap of the vertical pole, this pole is horizontal and is your clothes line. Adjust the vertical pole up or down to level the horizontal pole. I wish I had a picture.Also carry 4 or 5 large safety pins for clothes pins. I hang my wet laundry off the back of my pack with them while I walk. My washing machine is a gallon ziplock, and two eye dropper bottles I have refilled- one with biodegradable soap and one with bleach.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • socks wrote:

I've been practicing my bear bag technique. Instead of bringing and throwing a rock bag, I just toss the whole damn food bag over a branch in one shot and save the 1/2 oz. :D sorry, I just had ta, this thread was goin' way to smooth.

Was that Just Bill in his hiking kilt? Lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

socks wrote:

I've been practicing my bear bag technique. Instead of bringing and throwing a rock bag, I just toss the whole damn food bag over a branch in one shot and save the 1/2 oz. :D sorry, I just had ta, this thread was goin' way to smooth.

Was that Just Bill in his hiking kilt? Lol
      Naw Bill has a good head of hair.

indecently that weight the fella is throwing is 52 lb. if memory serves for this event. That's like half a little kid. :D
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

socks wrote:

I did that Sunday night at the Priest.
      honestly I could prolly do that with the small weekend load I usually bring without much worry. Sure hate to have it hang up though.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Don't wipe your butt with poison ivy leaves...or your nose.

I met a guy who would rub a leave every other month to build immunity.

i remember hearing about some guy, maybe a biologist, i really dont remember, but he did the same thing with rattlesnakes, had gotten bitten dozens of times, and somehow survived because they said he developed an immunity. apparenty he wasnt totally immune, he died from a rattlesnake bite.
      i wonder if this method could be used to develop an immunity to bullets
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

i remember hearing about some guy, maybe a biologist, i really dont remember, but he did the same thing with rattlesnakes, had gotten bitten dozens of times, and somehow survived because they said he developed an immunity. apparenty he wasnt totally immune, he died from a rattlesnake bite.
      Before science started using cattle and sheep they used purified wranglers blood. I got that off Nat Geo years ago... IF you are allergic to something like a cat, get a cat - 4-6 months later your immune system will adapt.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Wait a second, this guy was wiping his butt with snakes???? lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Before science started using cattle and sheep they used purified wranglers blood. I got that off Nat Geo years ago... IF you are allergic to something like a cat, get a cat - 4-6 months later your immune system will adapt.

but will it work with bullets?
      its all good
    • jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Wait a second, this guy was wiping his butt with snakes???? lol

he died from snakebutt
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

The guy was in Florida. He ran the largest snake venom milking operation in the world. He's been bitten dozen of times and his body shows it.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • If your legs are sore and tired from hiking, try some dynamic stretching, or abc's. You do this while you're walking.

A: Lift your knee to a 45* angle keeping your foot flexed (do not point your toes). Ideally you do this with every step but I do it every other step or I would fall.
      B: Lift your knee to a 45* angle and kick your foot out, sort of like a Tennessee walking horse (poor fellows)
      C: Kick yourself in the ass. This one is my favorite.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

The guy was in Florida. He ran the largest snake venom milking operation in the world. He's been bitten dozen of times and his body shows it.

I would like to read more or was this guy put out of business by a hurricane?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I can't remember his name. I saw a documentary about him about 10 years ago.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I can't remember his name. I saw a documentary about him about 10 years ago.

you are talking about bill haast, who ran the miami serpentarium. i'm sure google has more than anyone would want to know.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

If your legs are sore and tired from hiking, try some dynamic stretching, or abc's. You do this while you're walking.

A: Lift your knee to a 45* angle keeping your foot flexed (do not point your toes). Ideally you do this with every step but I do it every other step or I would fall.
      B: Lift your knee to a 45* angle and kick your foot out, sort of like a Tennessee walking horse (poor fellows)
      C: Kick yourself in the ass. This one is my favorite.

I'm going to try this, but I'll probably look like I'm trying break dance.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Da Wolf wrote:

for garbage get some priority mailers at the PO. they're free, made of tyvek- type material. hard to puncture

i got ahold of several of these items, sliced two sides, and duct taped enough material to form a ground sheet for the tent. I've also used several to make a ground sheet when cowboy camping. Last year I saw couple of hikers on the CO trail using them as ponchos by using a similar technique.

TwistWrist; hopefully the new photo is not of you undergoing a vector change.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • OzJacko wrote:

Toilet Paper Tip
      When rain is a regular feature of your hike (not mine - I would be in town), a way to keep your TP dry is to remove the centre tube and flatten the roll into a largish zip lock bag. By feeding the paper from the inside of the roll you can get paper for your needs without removing the roll from the bag.

huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/…-goes-over_n_6887724.html

[IMG:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CARIEZcVEAAcyYy.jpg:large]

The eternal debate over bathroom conventions seems to have actually been answered more than a century ago.

According to an 1891 patent by New York businessman Seth Wheeler, the end of a toilet paper roll should be on the outside, or in the “over” position. (Advocates of the “under” position, take note: better flip that roll over when you get home.)

Writer Owen Williams shared the discovery Monday on Twitter, posting a picture of Wheeler's patent for the toilet paper roll:

Wheeler, the man behind the Albany Perforated Wrapping Paper Company, is also the reason we’re able to tear off perfect squares in the first place: Albany Perforatedoriginally patented the idea for perforated "wrapping" paper (a more modest name for toilet paper) in 1871.

"My invention ... consists in a roll of wrapping paper with perforations on the line of the division between one sheet and the next, so as to be easily torn apart, such roll of wrapping paper forming a new article of manufacture," Wheeler's 1871 parent read.

Now that this has been resolved, everyone can move on to other pressing concerns: single-ply or double-ply?

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

...and while at home I hang it over...on the trail, from the middle seems to work best. Good call Oz.