Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinhoti National Recreation Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pinhoti National Recreation Trail

The Pinhoti Trail is a long-distance trail, 335 miles (540 km) long, located in the United States within the states Alabama and Georgia. The trail's southern terminus is on Flagg Mountain (the southernmost Appalachian peak that rises over 1,000 feet (300 m), located near Weogufka, Alabama. The trail's northern terminus is where it joins the Benton MacKaye Trail.

The Pinhoti Trail is a part of the Eastern Continental Trail and the Great Eastern Trail, both very long-distance US hiking trails connecting multiple states.

Geographic characteristics
      The north terminus is approximately 70 miles (110 km) west of Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.

Georgia has about 164 miles (260 km) of the trail, and Alabama contains the other 171 miles (280 km) of the 335-mile-long (540 km) trail.

History
      From the Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association website:

"The original plan for the Appalachian Trail was laid out in 1925 at the first Appalachian Trail Conference. This plan showed a main trail running from Cohutta Mountain in north Georgia to Mount Washington in New Hampshire. This plan also proposed a spur trail from Mt. Washington to Mount Katahdin in Maine and one from the Georgia Mountains into Northern Alabama. The spur in Maine was completed in 1940, while the spur into Alabama has yet to be blazed. However, the effort to make this Alabama spur trail a reality is underway and is the result of persistent work of many groups, individuals, agencies and organizations."

Construction of the Alabama Pinhoti Trail began in 1970 within the Talladega National Forest in east central and northeast Alabama. In 1977, the Talledega National Forest portions of the trail were designated a National Recreation Trail. By 1983, 60 miles (100 km) of trail had been constructed and Mike Leonard of the Alabama Wilderness Coalition proposed connecting the Pinhoti to the Appalachian Trail in Georgia. The U.S. Forest Service and Alabama's Forever Wild land trust aided in the acquisition of major wilderness tracts. The Pinhoti Trail currently travels through some of those acquired lands and others in which it is planned to go through.

The Pinhoti Trail was completed in February 2008, and officially opened to the public on March 16, 2008. Even though the trail is completed, there are still efforts to improve the trail, mainly involving moving road walk sections of the trail onto trails away from the road.

Appalachian Trail designation
      For many years, Alabama and Georgia hiking groups have been advocating for U.S. Congress to officially designate the Pinhoti Trail as a part of the Appalachian Trail—a move that would make Flagg Mountain the southern terminus of the AT.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Blazes to be removed from Duggar Mountain and Cheaha Wildernesses
      I wanted to share it here as well.
      Based on what I have read this will apply to the Wilderness Areas only. I
      believe the numbers below are correct.

Cheaha
      Pinhoti Section 6, mile
      67.9-77.8

Dugger Mountain
      Pinhoti Section 11, mile 136.2-144.8

pinhotitrailalliance.org/...ck-~-2-19.html

"One of the things that we are trying to accomplish in our Wilderness Areas is to
      leave them as natural as possible, for the appearance of being part of the
      wilderness area setting, to meet the scenic integrity objectives established for
      wilderness areas and to protect the wilderness character of the
      area.

In keeping with this theme, we are going to be removing the
      blazing *from the Pinhoti Trail sections that cross through both Dugger Mountain
      and Cheaha Wilderness Areas.* Forest Service policy states that there will be no
      blazing in wilderness areas, not even if it is a National Scenic Trail. These
      should not be there, the trail is well defined in most areas, in the rock
      outcrop areas we will leave the blazes until we can either put directional signs
      where needed or the preferred, build up one side with a rock ledge leading
      through these areas.

I know we have a lot of volunteers who love to
      get out and do projects for us, if you would like to help with this, please let
      me know, our Wild South Volunteer Wilderness Rangers will also be working on
      this …thanks for all that you do for the National Forests to make it a nicer
      place for visitors, please help spread the word …thanks Mary

Mary
      Humphries*
      Wilderness, Special Uses, Lands Technician
      Forest
      Service*
      Talladega National Forest, Talladega and Shoal Creek Ranger
      Districts
      p: 256-463-2272 x109*
      c: 256-761-7600*
      f: 256-463-5385*
      mhumphries@fs.fed.us
      45 Highway
      Heflin, AL 36264
      fs.fed.us*"
    • milkman wrote:

These
      outcrop areas we will leave the blazes until we can either put directional signs
      through these areas.

thats stupid.

if blazes are inconsistent is a wilderness area, then so are signs and artificially created rock ledges.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

These
      through these areas.

thats stupid.

if blazes are inconsistent is a wilderness area, then so are signs and artificially created rock ledges.

Kinda defeating the purpose.
    • <p>

max.patch wrote:

milkman wrote:

These&nbsp;<br />
      should not be there, the trail is well defined in most areas, in the rock&nbsp;<br />
      outcrop areas we will leave the blazes until we can either put directional signs&nbsp;<br />
      where needed or the preferred, build up one side with a rock ledge leading&nbsp;<br />
      through these areas.</p>

<p>
      </p>

<p>thats stupid.</p>

<p>if blazes are inconsistent is a wilderness area, then so are signs and artificially created rock ledges.
      </p>

<p>This is being done to be consistant with all other federal agencies.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • <p>I was down in this area yesterday to visit 6-7 waterfalls, I took 68 photos but my computer locks up every time I try to download them...a real pisser. I finally got to see Salt Creek Falls, I can see why several have been killed there after doing the climb down.</p>
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • milkman wrote:

The Pinhoti Trail is a part of the Eastern Continental Trail and the Great Eastern Trail, both very long-distance US hiking trails connecting multiple states.

Are either the ECT or GET complete trails at this point? Are still dependent on sections being completed?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

milkman wrote:

Are either the ECT or GET complete trails at this point? Are still dependent on sections being completed?

You probably know more about these 2 trails at this time than I do Astro. I do know that the connection between the Florida Trail (FNST) and the Pinhoti Trail (PNRT) needs connecting. I've been out of touch with the group(s) that have been working on this. Primarily the AHTS - Alabama Hiking Trail Society. The FTA - Florida Trail Association that I work with is in the South Central Region mainly around Lake Okeechobee and a spur trail from there to the ocean. I was only posting some info that had been forwarded to me and creating a Pinhoti thread since we didn't have one. I am fairly familiar with the Alabama portion. I've hiked all of it except the first 20 miles of road walk. Have helped build portions of it, maintained portions of it and blazed parts of it. I have not hiked any of the Georgia portion except for where it crosses over the Alabama line into Georgia and from there into Cave Springs, GA. The complete connection of the GET from Alabama to New York I seriously doubt we will see in our lifetime. Too bad because the dream and vision seems pretty amazing.
    • milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

milkman wrote:

You probably know more about these 2 trails at this time than I do Astro. I do know that the connection between the Florida Trail (FNST) and the Pinhoti Trail (PNRT) needs connecting. I've been out of touch with the group(s) that have been working on this. Primarily the AHTS - Alabama Hiking Trail Society. The FTA - Florida Trail Association that I work with is in the South Central Region mainly around Lake Okeechobee and a spur trail from there to the ocean. I was only posting some info that had been forwarded to me and creating a Pinhoti thread since we didn't have one. I am fairly familiar with the Alabama portion. I've hiked all of it except the first 20 miles of road walk. Have helped build portions of it, maintained portions of it and blazed parts of it. I have not hiked any of the Georgia portion except for where it crosses over the Alabama line into Georgia and from there into Cave Springs, GA. The complete connection of the GET from Alabama to New York I seriously doubt we will see in our lifetime. Too bad because the dream and vision seems pretty amazing.

I guess we will just have to try to live a little longer. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General