Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gas canister stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gas canister stoves

We have an alcohol stove thread and for solo hiking, I prefer alcohol stoves, but I thought we could use a canister stove thread.
      I don't have a lot to contribute but I was sorting through my gear to pick stuff for Annie to use on her hike with Violet and found 3 so I thought I would post them for comparison.
      Firstly I don't think that there is the need to compare boil times etc with gas stoves as with alcohol as they are all much faster. I don't have a Jetboil (and never will) so I can't do that comparison which would be the only one of interest. I think weight is the main consideration for gas stoves.

I am posting 5 photos and aren't sure of their order so will just describe them in one block and you can work out which is which. Hopefully others will post alternatives and maybe someone will post a comparison of these type with Jetboil.

Firstly I have an MSR Pocket Rocket with and without plastic case. Pretty much the "standard" gas stove. Support arms swing up and flame adjustment is a small knob with a wire handle that swings out of the way. It has a nice easy to use base for holding on to when screwing to the canister. With the arms swung up it is not very bulky but does have 3 pointy bits that can damage things in the pack so the plastic case is pretty much a necessity.

Second is a Primus stove I bought in Rangely Maine. It has the arms swing around to lie together and packs much flatter. It comes with a small bag for storage. It doesn't have a knob at the base like the msr but more of a "wing nut" grip. The flame adjustment has a small plastic knob. The head where the flame comes out is a bit bigger than the msr but I would think that any faster boil time would involve more fuel usage so don't see that as a factor.

The third is my first gas stove. Any container long since lost. It's heavy in comparison, but pretty bulletproof. The arms flop down and there is a locking mechanism to keep them up to support a pot. Flame adjustment is a small plastic knob. It would win for pot stability against the other two but not by much.

I will be packing the Primus for Annie.
      Images
      • 20150306_091606.jpg

67.82 kB, 800×450, viewed 460 times
      • 20150306_091624.jpg

59.89 kB, 800×450, viewed 433 times
      • 20150306_091640.jpg

86.2 kB, 800×450, viewed 454 times
      • 20150306_091654.jpg

98.11 kB, 800×450, viewed 444 times
      • 20150306_092243.jpg

81.06 kB, 800×450, viewed 515 times
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Yes but note the Primus has the same weight, doesn't require the plastic case which means a weight saving and packs smaller despite actually having a bigger "rose".
      I love all three. (If I'm using any of them I'm hiking :) ) The Primus wins for me on weight and packability.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • The Montauk Gnat

[IMG:http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/6/b/4/2713268/DSCF2308-1.jpg]

When I was getting ready to hike the AT, I stumbled onto Ryan Jordan's review of the Montauk Gnat on BackpackingLight. At the time it was the lightest canister stove on the market at 48g. Titanium and aluminum, a big burner head, simple design, easy to disassemble and clean, a standard o-ring, boils fast, simmers well ... It hasn't failed me in 1560 miles.

It comes with a nice, form-fitting plastic case I don't use, and it fits easily in my 700ml Snow Peak Trek cockpit with a canister and Four Dog lid. It's a bit tight with my canister stand...

Montauk appears to be out of business, but the Gnat was manufactured by Fire Maple in China, who markets the same stove as the FMS-116t Titanium Stove. Olicamp markets it as the Kinetic Ultra Titanium Stove, and GoSystem calls it the Fly.

If yer truly interested in stuff like boil times and fuel usage, you can read my review on TrailSpace.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • LDog wrote:

The Montauk Gnat

When I was getting ready to hike the AT, I stumbled onto Ryan Jordan's review of the Montauk Gnat on BackpackingLight. At the time it was the lightest canister stove on the market at 48g. Titanium and aluminum, a big burner head, simple design, easy to disassemble and clean, a standard o-ring, boils fast, simmers well ... It hasn't failed me in 1560 miles.

It comes with a nice, form-fitting plastic case I don't use, and it fits easily in my 700ml Snow Peak Trek cockpit with a canister and Four Dog lid. It's a bit tight with my canister stand...

Montauk appears to be out of business, but the Gnat was manufactured by Fire Maple in China, who markets the same stove as the FMS-116t Titanium Stove. Olicamp markets it as the Kinetic Ultra Titanium Stove, and GoSystem calls it the Fly.

If yer truly interested in stuff like boil times and fuel usage, you can read my review on TrailSpace.
      Looking at your stove reminds me of one thing about the pocket rocket that has me scratching my head. The flip out pot stand supports don't lie flat and instead pitch up a couple degrees, i never understood why they made it like this with minimal contact. A quick grinder of the stops that hit and don't allow the feet to swing down further would correct...but I really don't care that much, never had a pot fall off the stove, again, just didn't understand the engineering behind that one.
    • socks wrote:

LDog wrote:

The Montauk Gnat

Looking at your stove reminds me of one thing about the pocket rocket that has me scratching my head. The flip out pot stand supports don't lie flat and instead pitch up a couple degrees, i never understood why they made it like this with minimal contact. A quick grinder of the stops that hit and don't allow the feet to swing down further would correct...but I really don't care that much, never had a pot fall off the stove, again, just didn't understand the engineering behind that one.

different design, with the pocket rocket, too much heat would be spent heating the supports instead of the pot.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

LDog wrote:

The Montauk Gnat

different design, with the pocket rocket, too much heat would be spent heating the supports instead of the pot.
      I guess, that's really the only thing I could think of as well, acts like a heat sink.
    • socks wrote:

I've noticed that on other stoves and couldn't remember if mine sat truly flush with the teeth. So I took a peak:

No. If you look closely, you can see gaps between some of the teeth and the pot. But more likely the result of several years of throwing it into my pot instead of carefully returning it to it's plastic case, rather than a design issue. A little tweaking of the metal supports would probably bring em into alignment. But like you, I've never experienced any issues with the pot slipping around.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

I've noticed that on other stoves and couldn't remember if mine sat truly flush with the teeth. So I took a peak:

No. If you clock closely, you can see gaps between some of the teeth and the pot. But more likely the result of several years of throwing it into my pot instead of carefully returning it to it's plastic case, rather than a design issue. A little tweaking of the metal supports would probably bring em into alignment. But like you, I've never experienced any issues with the pot slipping around.
      Yup, but that's way flatter than the pocket rocket, mine only touches the very last tooth.
    • I would think the weight per square inch ratio of 3 points of contact and the weight per square inch ratio of say 20 points of contact might actually make it less stable. Leave it with me. I am designing a test in my head and will report back.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I would think the weight per square inch ratio of 3 points of contact and the weight per square inch ratio of say 20 points of contact might actually make it less stable. Leave it with me. I am designing a test in my head and will report back.

What you are describing is why all of my pot stands have only 3 points of contact. Even on the truss design, I purposely made the jointed ends shorter so as to only leave 3 stress bearing points. I fiddled with stands with more points of contact, but they were tossed quickly.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Okay. Preliminary results are in.
      I tried to assess stability by placing a pot with a bit of water on each stand and lean a wooden board against it slowly angling the board to see which stand the pot slipped most on.
      Had to do it outside as first attempt spilt a lot of water near the kettle.
      Sorry photos have shadows
      It happens in sunny weather. ;)
      I placed one arm directly towards the board to rule out that variable.
      I tried to show in the pics but the pocket rocket has 3 pronounced points of contact with a much smaller "diameter" than the other 2.
      The primus has on pot 3 points of contact as the last point on each arm is slightly raised. On a narrower pot it would have several with the last one having a "stopper" effect.
      The old one had a lot of contact points.
      The old one was a clear winner but there wasn't much in it. The other 2 were very similar but the Primus may have been adversely affected by the points of contact being pretty much at the point the pot begins to curve up at the edge. All in all none were very stable. Take care when cooking folks.
      Images
      • 20150307_074909.jpg

111.9 kB, 800×450, viewed 332 times
      • 20150307_074953.jpg

140.39 kB, 800×450, viewed 392 times
      • 20150307_075348.jpg

164.87 kB, 800×450, viewed 344 times
      • 20150307_075558.jpg

140.34 kB, 800×450, viewed 373 times
      • 20150307_074943.jpg

137.83 kB, 800×450, viewed 366 times
      • 20150307_075120.jpg

119.25 kB, 800×450, viewed 382 times

The post was edited 2 times, last by OzJacko ().

• OzJacko wrote:

Okay. Preliminary results are in.
      I tried to assess stability by placing a pot with a bit of water on each stand and lean a wooden board against it slowly angling the board to see which stand the pot slipped most on.
      I tried to show in the pics but the pocket rocket has 3 pronounced points of contact with a much smaller "diameter" than the other 2.
      The primus has on pot 3 points of contact as the last point on each arm is slightly raised. On a narrower pot it would have several with the last one having a "stopper" effect.
      The old one was a clear winner but there wasn't much in it. The other 2 were very similar but the Primus may have been adversely affected by the points of contact being pretty much at the point the pot begins to curve up at the edge. All in all none were very stable. Take care when cooking folks.
      There ya go, yup, just looks funny to me like the PR should have laid over more. like if the hole were drilled higher it would lay down more. Never mind, just rambling at this point, there all good stove for what they allow us to do miles from momas home cookin'
    • socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Okay. Preliminary results are in.
      There ya go, yup, just looks funny to me like the PR should have laid over more. like if the hole were drilled higher it would lay down more. Never mind, just rambling at this point, there all good stove for what they allow us to do miles from momas home cookin'

The Pocket Rocket does look like the arms should fold out more but I have checked and they certainly don't. It's IM's stove (we share gear) and he uses a smaller diameter pot than me so it suits him better than me. I am very happy with the Primus. Like I said - I am happy with all of them. The heavy one I bought many years ago when my pack was well over 40lbs. The price was about a third of the Pocket Rocket.
    • Does rain affect what stove you take on a hike? I want to teach the girls how to use an alchy stove but it's going to rain. I dont like using that stove in the rain.

If it's raining, I usually put the stove outside the tent and lean halfway out... the Jetboil works best for this as it boils water so quickly, I barely get wet. :D
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Not for me but on the Bib even if tenting you do at huts as that is where the water is. All the huts have a picnic bench under a roof.
      I have used both types in tent vestibule but don't like it. I prefer to make a lean to with my tarp poncho in that circumstance. But as a heads up on what choice I would make for your circumstance, I use the alcohol stove for solo hikes and the canister for ones with someone else when cooking is shared.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Does rain affect what stove you take on a hike? I want to teach the girls how to use an alchy stove but it's going to rain. I dont like using that stove in the rain.

If it's raining, I usually put the stove outside the tent and lean halfway out... the Jetboil works best for this as it boils water so quickly, I barely get wet. :D

I use a little drink umbrella for my alcy stove... pun intended.

You would be surprised what a alchy stove does when its besides a rock and poncho tarp is pitched just above. Just takes practice... the wind is the bigger issue.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I have a sidewinder cone. For bad weather it is definitely a great solution. Don't normally take it any more as I have to modify it first to not grip my pot so tight. Comes up with it when I lift pot.
    • I thought it was miserable standing in the cold rain waiting for the alchy stove to boil water, I was freezing. Then I knocked it over. I can't afford the weight penalty of carrying a tarp and a tent but can probably do it on this upcoming hike since we're sharing the load.

i have a pocket rocket too, I think I'll take that and the JB or the alchy stove.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I thought it was miserable standing in the cold rain waiting for the alchy stove to boil water, I was freezing. Then I knocked it over. I can't afford the weight penalty of carrying a tarp and a tent but can probably do it on this upcoming hike since we're sharing the load.

i have a pocket rocket too, I think I'll take that and the JB or the alchy stove.

Take the pocket rocket and 2 pots. You can cook a meal and make hot drinks "head to tail" so to speak. Jetboils don't "share" well.
    • OzJacko wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I thought it was miserable standing in the cold rain waiting for the alchy stove to boil water, I was freezing. Then I knocked it over. I can't afford the weight penalty of carrying a tarp and a tent but can probably do it on this upcoming hike since we're sharing the load.

Take the pocket rocket and 2 pots. You can cook a meal and make hot drinks "head to tail" so to speak. Jetboils don't "share" well.

can I use the Kmart grease pot on the pocket rocket?
    • I always bring some esbit as well, one for back up, and two just encase I feel like cooking to pots at once, not really a big deal, same with alcohol (at least on a short trip) bring both, it won't break your back, it's only a couple more onces.

PS just don't tell anyone around here you did it, or you'll never hear the end of it...Truth! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

Poncho's have little weight penalty a dual use item, and a cone works too.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I have the Jetboil Sol Ti and the only reason I do is because I got it brand new in package on Ebay for $85 no tax free shipping. If I had to pay full price or anywhere near it I would go with the aluminum if you plan to cook in it. I primarily boil water but have done cup-o-soups and ramens, etc. Nothing that has to be stirred. Just whatever can be rinsed and go. Basically whatever is mostly water. I've had it down to 9º and it fired right up but I slept with the canister. I left water in it one night and it was frozen solid the next morning and I just put the flame to it wide open (which is the way I always run it) and it melted completely in about 5 min. It sweated like heck and dripped on the burner and was popping and hissing but it never quit and did the job. I did this in the vestibule and cook in it religiously. But I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 and the vestibule is a very decent size. It will also run very well out in an open fair to moderate wind. I like how it all is self contained within the pot including the fuel canister. Thing is only the small Jetboil canister will fit but I've been told a couple of other brands will also now. I can't remember which ones and I have not tried them. With a full can of fuel and all the accessories, canister feet, pot support, plastic cup, lid and hot lips (of course the burner assembly) it weighs 17oz. It may be a little heavy for some. For me, convenience and speed is the key.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.