Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

crocs-vs-vivobarefoot

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoachLou wrote:

We do have some new members....so, just so they know how Coach rolls...here is a vintage pic of the guy with the coral crocs

Especially if they find your post about driving a station wagon, being the cook in your house, and knowing how to crochet! Of course, you did mention you like women with large breasts so I guess you're off the hook. :D
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I always just take my insoles out of my shoes. Last year I did try the Xero sandles once, but didn't like that I couldn't wear socks with them. The Xero's also gave me a sore between the toes when wore during different outings. And at 11oz they were just too heavy. I like the look of the new ones. You can wear socks with them. If they are lighter I'll check them out at TD's in May. Hopefully they are much lighter. Otherwise I'll stick with my hiking shoes.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

We do have some new members....so, just so they know how Coach rolls...here is a vintage pic of the guy with the coral crocs

Especially if they find your post about driving a station wagon, being the cook in your house, and knowing how to crochet! Of course, you did mention you like women with large breasts so I guess you're off the hook. :D[/qu

Thread Drift ALERT...............Ov, Mackenzie and I were having a family discussion on size. Mackenzie said something about ......'well some men like small breasts'.............I said.....'Mackenzie, I do not know any male that feels that way'
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Dmax wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Dmax wrote:

My wife has around 30 pairs of crocs. I've never owned or wore a single pair ever. She probably owns every color...

Back on topic........ I see lime green and orange........just what I was looking for!

She's got more crocs than Kohl's.

When she thought she had all the crocs she wanted she started on Chacos ... The crocs were a lot cheaper!

I love my Chaco's! I've been wearing the same pair for 4 years... they're looking pretty bad. Crocs are really popular with healthcare workers, especially in surgery because they can be cleaned easily. Every time I see crocs, I think of blood and tissue... so I don't really want to wear them.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Why should there be a limiting factor when it comes to the choices of color for women? I am not picking on your wording. It is a fact that people market to women and have "women's" colors for this and "women's" colors for that. I do not deny that women are different than men and may by percentage prefer a characteristic of a product over a man's preference. I understand why companies market to those preferences. However, women should not feel pigeon holed. If you like a certain color, screw if some expert doesn't think you should like that color. Okay...I will stop. I fear people will misunderstand. I like green. My wife likes blue. Neither of us think of the other as liking those colors based on our body parts. We see people, not genders, making choices. I just wish marketers did as well. They are driving potential purchasers away with their stereotypes. Not coach. He boldly buys pink. :whistling:

I feel that way about Thermorest's X-Lite line. They have an excessively short, gender-neutral, "Small." An excessively long, gender neutral, "Regular." And marketed separately, a "Women's" version, that splits the difference in length, with a higher R-factor. Women are supposed to need more insulation than men. Their bags sometimes account for differences in physiology, but I don't see any difference in these pad's profiles. The women's version has a pretty texture applied to the top. But who doesn't like pretty things? For me, it looks like the perfect compromise in length, weight, and R factor. It's the pad I'd buy today* if I was forced by gunpoint to sleep on the ground.

Thermorest Small Neoair X-Lite - 47"L, R3.2, 8oz
      Thermorest Woman's Neoair X-Lite - 66"L, R3.9, 12oz
      Thermorest Regular Neoair X-Lite - 72"L, R3.2, 12oz

All are 20" wide, and 2.5" thick

* But I'd wait to see the specs on Exped's announced/soon to be released SynMat Hyperlite Sleeping Pad ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • I got a pair of crocs about 4 years ago for fathers day, love em, wear em all the time around the house, pretty much replaced slippers for me, though they are pretty cold in the winter, gotta wear the right socks, I like em on the trail, though there are lighter weight alternatives. Those vivos look pretty cool, where did yall get them?

...I rock pink if the price is right, was once told by a girl that "Pink gets your babe laid" and she weren't kiddin' ;)

Da Bears!
    • LDog wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Why should there be a limiting factor when it comes to the choices of color for women? I am not picking on your wording. It is a fact that people market to women and have "women's" colors for this and "women's" colors for that. I do not deny that women are different than men and may by percentage prefer a characteristic of a product over a man's preference. I understand why companies market to those preferences. However, women should not feel pigeon holed. If you like a certain color, screw if some expert doesn't think you should like that color. Okay...I will stop. I fear people will misunderstand. I like green. My wife likes blue. Neither of us think of the other as liking those colors based on our body parts. We see people, not genders, making choices. I just wish marketers did as well. They are driving potential purchasers away with their stereotypes. Not coach. He boldly buys pink. :whistling:

I feel that way about Thermorest's X-Lite line. They have an excessively short, gender-neutral, "Small." An excessively long, gender neutral, "Regular." And marketed separately, a "Women's" version, that splits the difference in length, with a higher R-factor. Women are supposed to need more insulation than men. Their bags sometimes account for differences in physiology, but I don't see any difference in these pad's profiles. The women's version has a pretty texture applied to the top. But who doesn't like pretty things? For me, it looks like the perfect compromise in length, weight, and R factor. It's the pad I'd buy today* if I was forced by gunpoint to sleep on the ground.

Thermorest Small Neoair X-Lite - 47"L, R3.2, 8oz
      Thermorest Woman's Neoair X-Lite - 66"L, R3.9, 12oz
      Thermorest Regular Neoair X-Lite - 72"L, R3.2, 12oz

All are 20" wide, and 2.5" thick

* But I'd wait to see the specs on Exped's announced/soon to be released SynMat Hyperlite Sleeping Pad ...

After buying the BA Q Core Insulated SL at REI Monday, I thought on the way home that someone would probably come up with something better in the near future. My next move is to a hammock.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I am willing to admit a malfunctioning pad is not desirable. I am not talking about the UL pad but the full weight grey/black one. I will take that over any UL pad any day. I carry a bit of foam and a credit card. I will not compromise on my sleep. If it leaks, it's replaced. When IM had his leak that was different. It wasn't me.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Drybones wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

There is nothing better than the BA insulated Q Core. Lighter but not better.

Exped UL7 is better..... in my opinion.

Am I safe in assuming you have owned them both?

No. I have been expecting that reasonable query. I live close the main Llbean store. I tried them both in the store. Not a fair test. I love the valve system in the Exped. Beyond that, I relied on specifications and reviews. Currently, my pillow doubles as the pump for the pad. I hoped for some push back on my post. Often, that is what I am doing with my posts. That produces good information sometimes.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Drybones wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

No. I have been expecting that reasonable query. I live close the main Llbean store. I tried them both in the store. Not a fair test. I love the valve system in the Exped. Beyond that, I relied on specifications and reviews. Currently, my pillow doubles as the pump for the pad. I hoped for some push back on my post. Often, that is what I am doing with my posts. That produces good information sometimes.

I wore a Synmat 7 UL out, I did like it a lot, but I spend half the night on my side and thought the extra thickness would help. I spent about an hour or more in REI trying everything they had out, I liked the Nemo with the foot pump but it was rated at only 35 degrees. I changed my mind a half dozen times but finally left the store with the Q Core, figured I'd be back in a couple of months to visit Total Wine next door and if I didn't like it I'd bring it back.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Drybones wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I wore a Synmat 7 UL out, I did like it a lot, but I spend half the night on my side and thought the extra thickness would help. I spent about an hour or more in REI trying everything they had out, I liked the Nemo with the foot pump but it was rated at only 35 degrees. I changed my mind a half dozen times but finally left the store with the Q Core, figured I'd be back in a couple of months to visit Total Wine next door and if I didn't like it I'd bring it back.
      Now that's funny. With REI's return policy, i'll bet total wine does a pretty good business. :D
    • Drybones wrote:

LDog wrote:

After buying the BA Q Core Insulated SL at REI Monday, I thought on the way home that someone would probably come up with something better in the near future.

There's always something better in the queue. Ain't that wonderful!

My next move is to a hammock.

Attaboy!
      -
      L.Dog

The post was edited 2 times, last by LDog ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

My Exped UL7 M has given me the best night's sleep I've had on the ground. I love the width, length, the fact the outer two baffles are a little bigger and cradle me all night. I wished it was lighter, and went way too far with a Small Thermorest Neoair X-Lite. At 8 oz, it was a substantial loss of weight, but at 20"wide and 47"L it was a substantial loss of sleep.

Can't wait to check out Exped's new SynMat Hyperlite ...
      -
      L.Dog
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Especially if they find your post about driving a station wagon, being the cook in your house, and knowing how to crochet! Of course, you did mention you like women with large breasts so I guess you're off the hook. :D

Hot dang! I've owned and driven two Screwbaru wagons, been to war, do the majority of the cooking, know how to chrochet and have a fondness for large breasts.....This Lou cat must be kin.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • I spent my entire time in the wing, and never once had hair like that! :P Not even on leave. Hell, I got a haircut the day before I got out (although that was due to a SgtMaj who would NOT sign a check-out sheet if you didn't have a fresh haircut).
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Drybones wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

The BA pad I tried in the store was comfortable, but does not beat CCF for price and reliability, IMO. That's all the push back I have.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Rasty wrote:

My bare feet

$0.00
      Very secured
      Waterproof
      Non marking outsoles
      Weight 0 ounces
      Puncture resistant

Very good point. lol! I'd worry about the puncture resistance though. ;)

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

My coral crocs are actually wearing out...............I have my eye out for the perfect color. :thumbsup:

the color choices for women are a bit hideous

What's wrong with pink? :D

[IMG:http://a9.zassets.com/images/z/2/8/3/9/5/5/2839556-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg][/quote]

the color choices for women are a bit hideous[/quote]

Why should there be a limiting factor when it comes to the choices of color for women? I am not picking on your wording. It is a fact that people market to women and have "women's" colors for this and "women's" colors for that. I do not deny that women are different than men and may by percentage prefer a characteristic of a product over a man's preference. I understand why companies market to those preferences. However, women should not feel pigeon holed. If you like a certain color, screw if some expert doesn't think you should like that color. Okay...I will stop. I fear people will misunderstand. I like green. My wife likes blue. Neither of us think of the other as liking those colors based on our body parts. We see people, not genders, making choices. I just wish marketers did as well. They are driving potential purchasers away with their stereotypes. Not coach. He boldly buys pink. :whistling:[/quote]

I understand what you're saying and totally agree. I dislike pink (for myself, I don't care if other people wear it) and sometimes have a hard time because so many things are pink .... I blame breast cancer for that ^^ (just one more reason that CANCER SUCKS!) I probably should have rephrased my statement though and said, "The color choices for women aren't very attractive to female hikers who would rather wear earthy/subdued colors when outdoors... especially for female hikers who might like to stealth camp." :)[/quote]

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Damn, I find it very difficult to multi-quote on this forum. It's hard to tell where quotes start and stop.
      Besides that, I don't know why people get offended or give a sh*t what someone else is wearing? Who cares and why?
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Thanks for the post, HB! I still haven't bought my trail shoes...they're the one thing I lack. I've been torn between flip flops, crocks, or going all out with the vivos. I'm leaning toward the vivos if I can scrounge up the money.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.