Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Is the AT Thru-hiker Culture Family Friendly?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is the AT Thru-hiker Culture Family Friendly?

interesting blog post:

"Home > Is the AT Thru-hiker Culture Family Friendly?

Is the AT Thru-hiker Culture Family Friendly?December 9, 2014
      The start of our hike on March 31

This past summer our family thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. We turned my husband’s lifelong personal dream into a family adventure and creative video project. It was an audacious undertaking, all around.

Going into our hike there were a mind-boggling number of things to worry about. Would we have enough funds? (No.) How would five of us get to town from the trail? (Kind strangers and friends.) What would we do to protect ourselves from Lyme disease? (Permethrin and vigilant tick checks.) How would we keep the kids on-board? (Audiobooks, trail friends, and treats.)

Finances, logistics, safety and mutiny were just a few things to consider.

It didn’t occur to me to question how family-friendly the trail is until I got a comment from a blog reader about her unpleasant experiences with partying on the trail. Up until that point I had read so many good things about trail culture – trail angels, the kindness of strangers, hiker solidarity and camaraderie – it hadn’t occurred to me that there might be a seedy or morally questionable “darkside” to the experience.

Our kids join their thru-hiker friends on the roof of Siler Bald Shelter in NC

You don’t notice the trail culture so much while actually hiking. It isn’t till you converge with other hikers that you will experience the best, and worst, of trail culture. This is somewhat obvious but the part that surprised me is how often we’d be congregating with other people.

I had imagined the trail as a Thoreau-type wilderness experience but it was surprisingly social. This turned out to be good thing. Our family made many wonderful friends and truly appreciated the mix of different people in our hiking cohort. The stimulation of new people was a welcome relief when we had grown sick and tired of each other.

Early April, a crowded campsite at Cold Spring Shelter, NC

It’s the social interactions in places where hikers come together – shelters, campsites, road crossings, trail towns and hostels – where you will experience trail culture. At these gathering points you may encounter activities and behaviors that are downright inappropriate for children, and off putting to many adults.

I would never discourage someone from hiking the trail because of the potential for these encounters, but if you are thinking of weekend hiking, section-hiking or thru-hiking the trail with your kids there a few things you might want to know going in.

Early April, trying to squeeze in our tents at Locust Cove Gap in NC

1. A lot of people smoke, and not just cigarettes

Our usual crowd of outdoor friends are super health conscious and like to swap organic smoothie recipes. The trail does attract health-conscious sporty and crunchy granola types but it also attracts wanderers and pilgrims and a bit of society’s Riff Raff. (There is an infamous group of hiker alumni who go by that name and host a trail magic camp in May enroute to Trail Days in Damascus.)

I was surprised to observe that among the 18 to 30 year old crowd of hikers, which accounts for a significant number of people thru-hiking the trail, smoking is quite prevalent.

An evening fire at Locust Cove Gap, NC

From a health perspective this baffles me, but from a parenting perspective it wasn’t that hard to deal with. Every smoker we encountered was very considerate around not just our children, but also us. Most people would discreetly hide their lit cigarettes behind their backs if we came near or leave the area to finish smoking somewhere else.

As for marijuana I don’t remember anyone smoking it in front of our family but there were many times we smelled it. Second-hand smoke and the behavior altering affects of drug use aside, the overall message sent to kids seems more damaging than anything. Yes you can be a young, fit, athletic person and smoke! Thru-hiker kids look up to their fun adult cohorts. But as in off-trail life smoking is a part of our society and these are messages parents must deal with regardless.

Hiker Trash

2. Parties, Alcohol and R-rated language

There are some people who hike the trail as a means of foot transportation to get from party to party. However the number of these hikers decreases as you get farther north in the summer hiking season.

If you hike the whole trail though you are almost guaranteed to come across some partying. If you’re only out for a summer weekend don’t plan to stay at shelters less than two miles from a road crossing, where even a tired thru-hiker can carry in a six pack.

Thru-hiker friends Nemo (left) and The Fonz (right) enjoying refreshments at the NOC

We made the strategic error of staying at the Fontana “Hilton” on a Friday night, in the height of April’s hiker bubble. From the Hilton it’s an easy hitch, or shuttle into the small town of Fontana Dam to pick up drinks.

And drink they did.

That was a raucous night but we survived and our kids got to see first hand how ridiculous people look and act when they are drunk. That was an education in itself.

In some situations the best strategy may be avoidance or an early exit. For example, in mid-May we hiked through the aforementioned pre-Trail Days party-fest hosted by the Riff Raff and were welcomed by hiker friends and strangers alike. We played a little frisbee and then moved on.

Hike your own hike as we say.

Otter (13), Tenacious Bling (11), & Padawan (15)

Our worst late night party experiences were in town stops actually. We stayed at the cheap motels in Virginia, just like the other hikers on the trail. (Southern motels are the best deal going for families seeking town accommodations.) On top of our usual hiker fatigue one of our kids was violently ill and the partying outside our door was just too much. However, because we hiked with these people they knew us and so when I politely asked them to quiet down, because “one of their own” was needing rest next door they complied.

This illustrates what I think is the best approach to encourage family friendly behavior on the trail, and that is to form relationships with people. Our goal was never to reform anyone’s behavior or clean up their language but when you are friends with someone, they get to know you and respect who you are. And so when your thru-hiker kid needs some sleep they accommodate.

Good friends Gunpowder and Tenacious Bling

And you don’t need to be a prude either. Respect goes both ways. Though we don’t pepper our speech with profanity, get drunk and party late, or do drugs in our family it’s actually a really good education for our kids to experience a bit of this (with their parents close by).

Because like our 9 year old thru-hiker friend told his somewhat mortified mom, after one encounter with a foul-mouthed hiker, “I’ve heard worse on the playground mom”.

Otter holding Robin Hood, Padawan, Tenacious Bling holding Cartwheel. Thru-hiker kids from the class of 2014.

That being said, it’s probably best to steer young children clear of the trail registers or pre-screen their reading. Uncensored accounts of sometimes graphic R-rated activities sprinkle these otherwise interesting records of trail life, which is unfortunate.

People are the best part of the trail. Don’t let the possibility of a few pot-heads, partyers or loud mouths scare you off. You are far more likely to be shown respect as a family unit, especially when you take the time to get to know your trail mates. Almost all the thru-hikers we met on the trail, from the cussing longshoreman to the pot-smoking hippies, were kind and considerate to our family. They were our friends.

Thru-hiker friend Ungerwhere relaxing at Jim Murray’s property in NJ

This post was written by Trail Ambassador Renee Tougas.

gossamergear.com/wp/trail-amba…iendly?avad=3816_b82de616
      its all good
    • I understand and empathize a liitle, but I think to have been unaware before starting shows a real lack of comprehensive research, which I would consider imperative if setting out to hike the AT with children.
      I didn't have a problem with the drinking, smoking, and partying.
      I had a problem with the "entitled" attitudes. It was worst when group affiliations formed that gave themselves a group identity such as "the tribe". This encourages all the negative behaviors that group members show to people outside their group. i.e. they identified as members of that group subset and therefore something better than the full set of thruhikers.

I am glad I didn't hike with her. She probably wouldn't have liked me either.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • "it hadn’t occurred to me that there might be a seedy or morally questionable “darkside” to the experience"

"Parties, Alcohol and R-rated language"

Don't really get how the author thought a trip like this would be any different than what goes on in the real world. It was a well written blog, and the kids seemed to roll with it just fine, and the world keeps spinnin'
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

janet who?

Reno?

Keeping it all in the family, that would be JJ's sister.

My sister's a bonafide preppy yuppy. She would never step foot on a trail, much less sleep in anything less than a room in the Hilton. We are absolutely complete opposites. If I didn't know better I swear one of us was adopted. lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • hikerboy wrote:

i think it was a good blog that reflects reality on the trail.i think for the most part, there's mutual respect and acceptance of those that do and do not imbibe,smoke,etc.
      i did find it peculiar her mention of the bawdiness of trail registers, which i havent found to be very prevalent in most registers ive read.

Do you think she meant the shelter registers?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I was surprised at the entries in the shelter journals last year....cursing, messages about who has weed and where they were going to meet up to get it, and bashing other hikers. I'm not a saint but it's not appropriate to write those things for the general public to see.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I rarely read them. The ones I did were disappointing.
      On the Bib all shelters have two registers.
      A green one with preprinted columns and everyone is expected to complete a line - name, where from, age, start and end points, expected duration of hike, and a bit more. Rangers and firefighters etc use this as a way of determining whether anyone needs evacuation etc. Also used to justify funding from government (foreign hikers especially - we recognize foreign hikers as good for the economy).
      There is also a red one where freedom to write what you want is encouraged. This one gets poetry, stories, pictures and comments about hut or trail conditions (e.g. wildlife). Whilst both get some scribble and vulgarity the green one only rarely.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

but you same folks go see R rated movies with all the sex and cussin' and call it art . kids talk all that sht in school. buncha bullsht

If I choose to see a movie that has an R rating, I know what I'm going to be exposed to beforehand.

do your eyes melt or something if you read things you find offensive? kids are gonna explore their freedom on a thru hike, and their artistic expressions could occasionally be deemed offensive by some, but really, so what? sometimes you find a pearl in those oysters.
      its all good
    • Da Wolf wrote:

but you same folks go see R rated movies with all the sex and cussin' and call it art . kids talk all that sht in school. buncha bullsht

I have to agree with you. I'm far from a saint but there were no R-rated movies in my house until the kids grew up and left home...obviously we didn't watch many movies. Funny story...we rented a PG movie and were watching it, a lady started taking her cloths off but we didn't expect anything because it was PG....all of a sudden a great set of boobies popped out and we were stunned...the kids reaction...dad, do you want us to go to the basement.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

If I choose to see a movie that has an R rating, I know what I'm going to be exposed to beforehand.

do your eyes melt or something if you read things you find offensive? kids are gonna explore their freedom on a thru hike, and their artistic expressions could occasionally be deemed offensive by some, but really, so what? sometimes you find a pearl in those oysters.

And sometimes you find a turd...because "they're going to explore" is no reason to condone it or encourage it...not a way to raise child....IMO.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

And sometimes you find a turd...because "they're going to explore" is no reason to condone it or encourage it...not a way to raise child....IMO.

whos raising a child? what do you expect you're gonna read by a bunch of 20 somethings?
      its all good
    • We generally didn't watch anything r rated with the kids. Tight money meant when they were small movies were never in the budget anyway. I have no problem with any of it except violence. I will not watch or condone violence. Hollywood and pc games have a lot to answer for in the current level of violence in all of the world.
      Regarding profanity, shyte I am Australian. It's my culture!
      My rule with the children was always learn to control it. Swearing in front of their parents or other adults was bad. Swearing in front of their grandparents was a most heinous crime.
    • Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

And you guys wonder why I think you are all sinners. I need some inspiration.

Don't want to break your bubble...but....you're right there with us.

Ain't we all

There is something that can be done about that problem. I would elaborate, but I fear it might make people react in a sinful manner.

Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well ... as usual. I never said I was offended, I said I was surprised. I'm pretty sure most of us control certain impulses when we're around certain people...children, our parents, our bosses, etc. I know there are often boy scouts and other young kids at shelters, so it's surprising to me that people aren't filtering what they write. If they want total, literary freedom, there are places where that's more appropriate.

What I'm hearing from you and others is that cursing, drugs, and sex are everywhere, even in the school yards, so who cares if children see more of it? If we're going to use that logic, why is cursing censored on this site? Cursing is everywhere, so who cares? I, for one, could care less. Cursing, sex, alcohol, etc. doesn't offend me, but I'm an adult and not an impressionable young kid.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well ... as usual. I never said I was offended, I said I was surprised. I'm pretty sure most of us control certain impulses when we're around certain people...children, our parents, our bosses, etc. I know there are often boy scouts and other young kids at shelters, so it's surprising to me that people aren't filtering what they write. If they want total, literary freedom, there are places where that's more appropriate.

What I'm hearing from you and others is that cursing, drugs, and sex are everywhere, even in the school yards, so who cares if children see more of it? If we're going to use that logic, why is cursing censored on this site? Cursing is everywhere, so who cares? I, for one, could care less. Cursing, sex, alcohol, etc. doesn't offend me, but I'm an adult and not an impressionable young kid.

kids have a tough time today growing up innocently, as lw says, ithingys give kids access thats ridiculous.my granddaughter is not even 3 and can navigate her ipad pretty well.(yes, theres plenty of filters on hers).im not condoning more exposure, im condoning parental monitoring.but its like pretending sex doesnt exist until they larn on the street about it.if youre talking to your kids, none of this is an issue.
      its all good
    • Okay... one more offensive comment and I will leave this thread to the sinners (sarcasm alert). Some people do not care if they offend others as long as it does not offend themselves. Hooray for me and to hell with you. I try not to offend people. I fail often in that quest. Some people want to be offended. You can't please everyone. I don't try to please everyone. I feel it is reasonable to be a little sensitive to what might offend people.... except in here. People that don't care about the feelings of others are anal orafices. I am sure there are many people that use the New York hello and are not offended by it, but still are sensitive toward people that would be offended by it. Those people are normal. The people that don't care are selfish idiots. :)
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.