Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Is the AT Thru-hiker Culture Family Friendly?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• socks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Just because we can't escape it doesn't make it acceptable. I think when we witness uncaring behavior we should not just accept it. I try to make clear that it is juvenile not to think of others. Don't try to tell someone it's offensive, some of them like to think they shock others. Make them feel childish. Whatever their age that is more effective.

I have been considering the wisdom of this ever since you posted it. I work in a shipyard. People are very rough around the edges here. Things are said and done here that I am glad my wife and mother never see. I am not offended by it. I don't even hear. Once in a great while I am talking to my wife on the phone, someone needs my help. I set the phone down and help the person. It is in those times that I hear the f this f that. It is constant where I work. I don't hear it until someone I don't want to offend is within hearing range. The vast majority tone it down when they are aware they can be heard. The vast majority are decent people. Some are not. Those are the people I would consider immature and selfish. I have come to a decision. I am putting such people on ignore. I do not have virgin ears. My eyes are not going to melt. I just can't get by the defensive reaction that I have that this is a public place and decent people would not be so immature. I say all this because I am no longer going to see the posts from the immature ones that cannot express themselves without their pet profanity. It is likely I will miss many valuable posts and not have a clue what people are saying. If that happens, know that I am not being rude. I just missed a few posts. If it gets to disjointed, I will decide from there. I am done reacting to children. Next step is to see if the information I covet will still be in a comprehensible format.
      Do we have the ignore function working now, I'd like to use it too.
      I guess that's a yes :D
    • socks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Just because we can't escape it doesn't make it acceptable. I think when we witness uncaring behavior we should not just accept it. I try to make clear that it is juvenile not to think of others. Don't try to tell someone it's offensive, some of them like to think they shock others. Make them feel childish. Whatever their age that is more effective.

I have been considering the wisdom of this ever since you posted it. I work in a shipyard. People are very rough around the edges here. Things are said and done here that I am glad my wife and mother never see. I am not offended by it. I don't even hear. Once in a great while I am talking to my wife on the phone, someone needs my help. I set the phone down and help the person. It is in those times that I hear the f this f that. It is constant where I work. I don't hear it until someone I don't want to offend is within hearing range. The vast majority tone it down when they are aware they can be heard. The vast majority are decent people. Some are not. Those are the people I would consider immature and selfish. I have come to a decision. I am putting such people on ignore. I do not have virgin ears. My eyes are not going to melt. I just can't get by the defensive reaction that I have that this is a public place and decent people would not be so immature. I say all this because I am no longer going to see the posts from the immature ones that cannot express themselves without their pet profanity. It is likely I will miss many valuable posts and not have a clue what people are saying. If that happens, know that I am not being rude. I just missed a few posts. If it gets to disjointed, I will decide from there. I am done reacting to children. Next step is to see if the information I covet will still be in a comprehensible format.

We have a block user feature. Not sure how it works. Never tried it before. Time will tell.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I have met those people. There seemed to be no shortage of them. I don't like to doubt people, but I find many stereotypes to be innacurate. I am talking in riddles. Let me be clear. I found the vast majority of New Yorker's to be friendly. I think we find in people what we are looking for. Many many said hello. None ever gave me the finger.

I have found that I can drive with both fingers.

How do you communicate if they're both on the wheel?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • socks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Mine works fine, just don't read their posts.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Yup

If you see me postin' in a thread, don't act surprised

Scroll on byyyy...Doot doot doot, doot doot doot

Scroll on by.....foolish pride.....

...when you said goodbye :D
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I have met those people. There seemed to be no shortage of them. I don't like to doubt people, but I find many stereotypes to be innacurate. I am talking in riddles. Let me be clear. I found the vast majority of New Yorker's to be friendly. I think we find in people what we are looking for. Many many said hello. None ever gave me the finger.

I have found that I can drive with both fingers.

How do you communicate if they're both on the wheel?

I steer with my knees. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Da Wolf wrote:

is someone in here butthurt over words?

Someone in here thinks you have the compassion of a hippo and the vocabulary of an idiot. I am not butt hurt. I have seen it all and heard it all. Someone is sick of your hooray for me and to hell with you attitude and your childish creative spelling of the f word. Grow up you self centered insensitive pig.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • I read everything. I only absorb what I want to.
      I don't like it when two people I like clearly dislike each other. It's not face to face people.
      You can ignore without blocking or reacting. If you block you will never see things that you might agree with. Then the rift will never heal.
      For the record I think many of you would be surprised at what kind of person Wolf is when you actually meet him. I like both his online and in the flesh personas.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Yup

If you see me postin' in a thread, don't act surprised

Scroll on byyyy...Doot doot doot, doot doot doot

Scroll on by.....foolish pride.....

...when you said goodbye :D
      This parody of the song "Walk on by" was an attempt to bring some levity in a Sockish humorist type way, that is all. The foolish pride comment at the end was just to resolve the song lyric, nothing more was meant by it, though I could see how that could be construed, it was not my intention to call someone foolish for believing what the believe, that ain't my style...Truth! :)
    • Not worried about you Socks.
      We have a few people here irritated by others here.
      I don't want the cafe to stop being fun and I don't want Rasty to block or censor anyone.
      We're all adults here.
      Most of us aren't mature but we ARE adults.
      Leave the bickering and intolerance for other viewpoints at TOS.
      This place is actually starting to have good hiking info and numbers are growing.
      For example, the gun thread is one I have no interest in but we have one that hasn't deteriorated into a pro guns/anti guns debate. I like the idea that those who do carry guns can have a discussion about it. I just don't go there.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Not worried about you Socks.
      I don't want the cafe to stop being fun and I don't want Rasty to block or censor anyone.
      We're all adults here.
      This place is actually starting to have good hiking info and numbers are growing.
      For example, the gun thread is one I have no interest in but we have one that hasn't deteriorated into a pro guns/anti guns debate. I like the idea that those who do carry guns can have a discussion about it. I just don't go there.
      Well thanks for sayin' that Oz, but I gotta except some of the responsibility as I post on the edge of the seven dirty words in an attempt to get over as well. Honestly, I thought we said Shyte, Fug, and other alternative spellings were ok'd by admin...I guess I was wrong.
    • socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We're all adults here.
      Well thanks for sayin' that Oz, but I gotta except some of the responsibility as I post on the edge of the seven dirty words in an attempt to get over as well. Honestly, I thought we said Shyte, Fug, and other alternative spellings were ok'd by admin...I guess I was wrong.

i think the answer is clearly to speak the kings english.
      as i have difficulty censoring myself, i will ask for volunteers for 1- grammar nazi, and 2.family activities coordinator
      its all good
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Someone in here thinks you have the compassion of a hippo and the vocabulary of an idiot. I am not butt hurt. I have seen it all and heard it all. Someone is sick of your hooray for me and to hell with you attitude and your childish creative spelling of the f word. Grow up you self centered insensitive pig.
      that's cute. thanks, hon :thumbsup:
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We're all adults here.

as i have difficulty censoring myself, i will ask for volunteers for 1- grammar nazi, and 2.family activities coordinator
      sorry, moderator will I never make. It often astounds me how some folks wanna be a moderator so bad, they are almost self appointing ...very strange to me.. Incedently this thread is not what I'm rendering to.
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We're all adults here.

Is the kings english when you spell "color" with a U? Like "colour"?
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We're all adults here.

you would have to ask kevin
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We're all adults here.

you would have to ask kevin[/quote

ive noticed Kevin spells words with the U, I nominate him the grammar nazi
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by A.T.Lt ().

• socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We're all adults here.

sorry, moderator will I never make. It often astounds me how some folks wanna be a moderator so bad, they are almost self appointing ...very strange to me.. Incedently this thread is not what I'm rendering to.

The only place I'd want to be a moderator is in the dog forum on TOS. I'd love to delete the jackwagon anti-dog comments over there and keep the conversation productive.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We're all adults here.

The only place I'd want to be a moderator is in the dog forum on TOS. I'd love to delete the jackwagon anti-dog comments over there and keep the conversation productive.
      Yeah I don't get coming to a dog forum with noting but criticism. It's already all been said before.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Wow. Y'know, Wolf and I will never be pals, but that's a bit much. He's actually not been heinous since he joined here, at least not from what I've seen. Still a buzzkill, but just find another buzz.

As for "fu(k" we wouldn't have to resort to creative spellings if the mods would get over it. :P gif.014.gif
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Da Wolf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

we prefer the term "bruised derrierre"
      ... i've been very good since i've been back in here...:rolleyes:
      I agree and appreciate it, I'm almost not afraid of you anymore :) . And I really appreciate you sharing your hiking opinions and knowledge. I love BB as a friend and don't want him to go. All I can say is we can't control other people but we can control how we react to them, something I often have to remind myself.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • socks wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

socks wrote:

Yeah I don't get coming to a dog forum with noting but criticism.

You know, you're right, that's why it's called the dog forum. However, I cannot help futile attempts to get back for the teeth in my legs.
      yeah I could see how that would be futile, maybe try a different strategy, or just chalk that one off to stupid pet owner.

Have you ever noticed a dog is only as smart as it's owner? It's so sad too, because these animals have so much potential but they are being held back because of their owner.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.