Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Is the AT Thru-hiker Culture Family Friendly?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When Kathy and I go out on one of our little section hikes we use our tent. That way we can socialize at the shelter, when we feel like it, but escape to our tent when we want to. As for the registers they are entertaining. There's occasionally useful information about things like location of hornets nests or other obstacles or good places to eat in an upcoming town, but usually just meaningless drivel.
      Anything that's said, or done on the trail I take with a grain of salt, as the saying goes.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Okay... one more offensive comment and I will leave this thread to the sinners (sarcasm alert). Some people do not care if they offend others as long as it does not offend themselves. Hooray for me and to hell with you. I try not to offend people. I fail often in that quest. Some people want to be offended. You can't please everyone. I don't try to please everyone. I feel it is reasonable to be a little sensitive to what might offend people.... except in here. People that don't care about the feelings of others are anal orafices. I am sure there are many people that use the New York hello and are not offended by it, but still are sensitive toward people that would be offended by it. Those people are normal. The people that don't care are selfish idiots. :)

thats a pretty complicated statement, as what one finds offensive is relative.i think its pretty impossible to have public forums thinking that what one posts may be something that noone can be offended by and is known as political correctness.. i'm sure most of the great thinkers writings were considered offensive in their day.
      its all good
    • Just because we can't escape it doesn't make it acceptable. I think when we witness uncaring behavior we should not just accept it. I try to make clear that it is juvenile not to think of others. Don't try to tell someone it's offensive, some of them like to think they shock others. Make them feel childish. Whatever their age that is more effective.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

uh oh, I've lived here my whole life and I don't have a clue what a New York hello is.
      I'm off to look it up.

HB once told me people giving people the finger in New York was just like saying hello. I think the fact that they don't use all their fingers has something to do with them being lazy. :)

should you visit our lovely freindly helpful city, i would not encourage you to call anyone lazy.
      its all good
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I have visited that beautiful city many times. I must report that I am offended that no one has ever said "hello" to me there. Didn't notice lazy people either. Perhaps I wasn't looking for them.

i will say that head up butt syndrome seems to continue to spread. on the other hand, you could ask any new yorker on the street for help if you needed it, and 99 times out of a hundred they'll help if they can.
      its all good
    • I have met those people. There seemed to be no shortage of them. I don't like to doubt people, but I find many stereotypes to be innacurate. I am talking in riddles. Let me be clear. I found the vast majority of New Yorker's to be friendly. I think we find in people what we are looking for. Many many said hello. None ever gave me the finger.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • True of most cities really.
      People everywhere put up barriers to keep you from intruding on their life. Once you cross a barrier you access the person within.
      Most people the person within is just a normal nice person.
      You can break a barrier with a plea for help or a shared joke etc.
      Next time you're in a queue where everyone is silent, try making a (clean) joke about the predicament you're all in. At least one or two can then become chatty. It's a traditional "ice breaker". One of the reasons the trail makes everyone seem so friendly is that the shared act of hiking has already "broken the ice".
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I have met those people. There seemed to be no shortage of them. I don't like to doubt people, but I find many stereotypes to be innacurate. I am talking in riddles. Let me be clear. I found the vast majority of New Yorker's to be friendly. I think we find in people what we are looking for. Many many said hello. None ever gave me the finger.

I have found that I can drive with both fingers.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Da Wolf wrote:

ever since friggin' jerry died the trail has been overrun with listless deadheads
      Apparently the subculture is not only friendly, filthy, dirty, and stinky...but they're friendly, filthy and dirty stinkin' Rich!

...Crazy ain't it!

Grateful Dead tickets going for $116,000 on StubHub By Frank Pallotta3 hours ago
      [IMG:http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Kwc.uVYFDStwfUQzufz8OQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTY1NTtpbD1wbGFuZTtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/7b09c5fc96af68026b0f6a706700798c.jpg]
      In this Aug. 3, 2002 file photo, The Grateful Dead, from left, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Bob Weir and Mickey Hart perform during a reunion concert in East Troy, Wis. he band announced Friday that original members Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir will perform three shows from July 3-5 at Soldier Field in Chicago. (AP Photo/Morry Gash, File)

If you're truckin' to see the Grateful Dead this summer, bring your checkbook.

A three day pass for The Grateful Dead's "Fare Thee Well" sold out reunion show in Chicago are being offered for as much as $116,000 on online ticket site, StubHub.

That price gets fans a spot on the general admission floor in front of the stage. But just to walk in the door will still cost upwards of $1,435 -- and that's an obstructed view seat!

Related: The world's 10 richest recording artists

The shows will reunite the four original members of The Dead for their 50th anniversary over the Fourth of July weekend this summer at Chicago's Soldier Field.

It will also include Phish front man and guitarist Trey Anastasio, who will fill in for the iconic leader of The Dead, Jerry Garcia, who died back in 1995.

The three night concerts have been a hot ticket since the show was first announced back in January, and sold out its 210,000 capacity for all three nights almost immediately.

Related: Grammy celebs demand fair pay for musicians

StubHub reports that tickets for the three day pass are posted on its site for as much as $160,000. The most expensive 3 day pass sold on StubHub so far went for $7,499.

That's a whole lot more than the face value of the tickets, which were originally priced at between $60 and $200.

Both the Grateful Dead and Phish have extremely loyal fans that have their own subcultures and even monikers ("Deadheads" for The Grateful Dead and "Phans" for Phish).

And "Fare Thee Well" will be the last performance ever with the original members of The Dead, according to band member Bob Weir.

To put the ticket prices into context, a general admission ticket to a Phish show would cost roughly $50-$60 while a three day GA pass to the three day music festival Bonnaroo this summer costs about $320.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the capacity of Soldier Field

finance.yahoo.com/news/gratefu…-going-116-153900703.html
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I have met those people. There seemed to be no shortage of them. I don't like to doubt people, but I find many stereotypes to be innacurate. I am talking in riddles. Let me be clear. I found the vast majority of New Yorker's to be friendly. I think we find in people what we are looking for. Many many said hello. None ever gave me the finger.

They don't say hello to people from elsewhere
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm going to go put on my penis socks, just sayin'. :D

Why would Socks care if you're wearing a penis?

gif.013.gif

I was thinkin of a reply and googled "packable guns and lesbians", guess what I found?

Well that's just great!

Came across another one. Very cool.
      Images
      • image.jpg

79.61 kB, 337×600, viewed 204 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Just because we can't escape it doesn't make it acceptable. I think when we witness uncaring behavior we should not just accept it. I try to make clear that it is juvenile not to think of others. Don't try to tell someone it's offensive, some of them like to think they shock others. Make them feel childish. Whatever their age that is more effective.

I have been considering the wisdom of this ever since you posted it. I work in a shipyard. People are very rough around the edges here. Things are said and done here that I am glad my wife and mother never see. I am not offended by it. I don't even hear. Once in a great while I am talking to my wife on the phone, someone needs my help. I set the phone down and help the person. It is in those times that I hear the f this f that. It is constant where I work. I don't hear it until someone I don't want to offend is within hearing range. The vast majority tone it down when they are aware they can be heard. The vast majority are decent people. Some are not. Those are the people I would consider immature and selfish. I have come to a decision. I am putting such people on ignore. I do not have virgin ears. My eyes are not going to melt. I just can't get by the defensive reaction that I have that this is a public place and decent people would not be so immature. I say all this because I am no longer going to see the posts from the immature ones that cannot express themselves without their pet profanity. It is likely I will miss many valuable posts and not have a clue what people are saying. If that happens, know that I am not being rude. I just missed a few posts. If it gets to disjointed, I will decide from there. I am done reacting to children. Next step is to see if the information I covet will still be in a comprehensible format.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Just because we can't escape it doesn't make it acceptable. I think when we witness uncaring behavior we should not just accept it. I try to make clear that it is juvenile not to think of others. Don't try to tell someone it's offensive, some of them like to think they shock others. Make them feel childish. Whatever their age that is more effective.

I have been considering the wisdom of this ever since you posted it. I work in a shipyard. People are very rough around the edges here. Things are said and done here that I am glad my wife and mother never see. I am not offended by it. I don't even hear. Once in a great while I am talking to my wife on the phone, someone needs my help. I set the phone down and help the person. It is in those times that I hear the f this f that. It is constant where I work. I don't hear it until someone I don't want to offend is within hearing range. The vast majority tone it down when they are aware they can be heard. The vast majority are decent people. Some are not. Those are the people I would consider immature and selfish. I have come to a decision. I am putting such people on ignore. I do not have virgin ears. My eyes are not going to melt. I just can't get by the defensive reaction that I have that this is a public place and decent people would not be so immature. I say all this because I am no longer going to see the posts from the immature ones that cannot express themselves without their pet profanity. It is likely I will miss many valuable posts and not have a clue what people are saying. If that happens, know that I am not being rude. I just missed a few posts. If it gets to disjointed, I will decide from there. I am done reacting to children. Next step is to see if the information I covet will still be in a comprehensible format.
      Do we have the ignore function working now, I'd like to use it too.