Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Is the AT Thru-hiker Culture Family Friendly?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've only been bitten by one dog* and I still tote the scar from it. I was 8 and he was a poodle. SOB popped me on the calf before I even knew he was there. Blood pouring down my leg, me wailing like a banshee and my Mama meeting me in the yard to see what was wrong with her precious little angel. She does the usual for the time period and cleans it with alcohol and merthiolate, both of which were infinitely worse than the bite itself. Somewhere between the bite, which hurt, and the first aid, which hurt like hell, I decided that little bastard had to pay.

When the inferno died down in my leg I grabbed my BB gun, eased over and set up shop in the plum thicket on the end of the house where they fed this little bastard. And then I waited. Finally they set a bowl of food out there and here he came. The bowl was against the wall and he buried his little rodent face in it, exposing his backside to me. I took aim and shot him right square in the balls. He hunched down and began to wail I went to right shoulder arms and marched home where I was again met by my Mama who promptly whooped my ass. I didn't care....I had won and El Diablo, or whatever they called that mutant, AKA "The Loser" had to have one of his nuts cut out.

Whether he put the word out in the dog network that I was not to be trifled with or it's because I made up my mind that day that if a dog wants to fight then fight we will I don't know, but I've never been attacked by a dog since.

I've been bitten several times since then while breaking up dog fights or just an accidental bite while I was instigating the dog by play fighting with him. Those don't count because the blame for the them falls squarely on my shoulders and not the dog's.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

According to my veterinarian friend, if wiener dogs don't top that list then that list is incorrect.
      I actually had not checked the list for a long time, poodles have dropped off the list now that other breeds have become more popular with the masses. The best way to ruin a dog breed is to have a movie starring one. People will buy a dog for looks, not temperment. I do a lot of my training for hikes with my neighbors very sweet doberman. She loves long walks! My husband is a "cat" person, so I "borrow" dogs.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Foresight wrote:

According to my veterinarian friend, if wiener dogs don't top that list then that list is incorrect.
      I actually had not checked the list for a long time, poodles have dropped off the list now that other breeds have become more popular with the masses. The best way to ruin a dog breed is to have a movie starring one. People will buy a dog for looks, not temperment. I do a lot of my training for hikes with my neighbors very sweet doberman. She loves long walks! My husband is a "cat" person, so I "borrow" dogs.
      Remember what happened with the movie 101 Dalmatians. You couldn't find one. Every kid in America wanted one. Then when the poor little pup started growing it was Oh shyt! I didn't know it was gonna get this big! Off to the shelter it went. You know what happens after that. Breeders were jumping on the bandwagon as fast as they could for the almighty dollar not giving a sh!t what was gonna happen to the dog. At least at the pound or shelter the pups had a chance at adoption. A fate far worse for a couple of other creatures will and is taking place right now. Most of these wont make it past the trash can because as explained to me by animal control this is an "acceptable" method of disposal. You'd think they at least deserved a hole in the ground or at least a furnace. Something other than rotting away in a dump. Out in nature is one thing, for a child's 'toy" is another. Sad. No respect.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Dobermans are hard to beat, as a dog trainer said, "they always graduate top of the class", I have two, the big boy I hiked with before he developed arthritis made friends with every dog, child, and grup he met on the trail. I would love to see what a doberdoodle would look like, similar build, both smart.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Foresight wrote:

I quite agree with the little yappy ones. And a standard dachshund requires training - they can be big dogs (with short legs), and they're bred to be pretty fierce - they have to be, to confront a badger or sable underground.

They're also incredibly stubborn, largely because they're smarter than their owners and know it.

I have personal experience with this. I had two dachshunds when I was growing up. A miniature who had a vicious streak that I was never able to train out of him, and a large standard (his size was big enough to be a fault by American standards, he was bred to the German standard) who was a sweetheart unless I wanted him to be otherwise. He quite understood escalating levels of alert: 'Guck mal!' 'Paß auf!' 'Packen!' and his recall 'Hier!' or 'Fuß!' from any of them was rock solid. Why did I use German commands? Uhm, mostly because a dachshund is a German dog, but sometimes it's an advantage not to have the whole world know what you're telling a dog to do. He knew hand signals, also.

This was back when I was a kid. In adulthood, I've never had time to train a dog properly, so I've never got one. If I did have one, I wouldn't bring him into a shelter. Not for the sake of my fellow hikers! I wouldn't want strangers around my dog while I was asleep. Is that family friendly?
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I've never had time to train a dog properly, so I've never got one.
      A trained dog is so much easier than one that isn't.
      Kathy and I used to raise puppies for The Guide Dog Foundation For The Blind and part of that was teaching the dog basic obedience and socialization skills. You'd think we'd use the knowledge we gained and train our own dogs, but no. Don't ask me why but Kathy didn't want to, so we didn't. Maybe the next one.
    • LIhikers wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Before Poodles were turned into "Fifi" they were water retrievers. Under the fluff lies a "REAL" dog.
      A full size poodle can be a wonderful dog.I have no use for small miniature dogs.
      I'm sure glad Kathy likes Shepherds.
      This is why we have a corgi. They are so short, a lot of people think of them as small miniature dogs, but they aren't. Ours weighs 40 lbs. They are also very well tempered and very low maintenance.