Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Warren Doyle answers questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Warren Doyle answers questions

Warren-
      Thanks for popping on this site- next time you're on- a serious question.
      I've recently heard about some colleges offering backpacking courses, even a degree in backpacking? I freely admit I don't know much about your work in the academic world but I would be greatly interested to hear your opinion on these programs and if they have the potential to be a legitimate career path?

I am curious to hear your thoughts-
      Are courses/universities exploring these programs?
      Is this a growing trend, or a trendy "blow off" class being offered?
      How did you get started and what is the academic portion of your career?

I know and respect your hiking background, but only recently heard about this aspect of your life and would love to hear more about it. I see things here and there like this- http://catalog.fortlewis.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=13&poid=1789&returnto=467
      But what would you actually do with this degree?

Thanks-
      Bill
    • Warren Doyle answers questions

warrendoyle wrote:

Hello cyber café hikers,
      I will try to occupy a seat in the far corner of this café and make an occasional appearance for a conversation when I have the time. Although institutionally retired, I still lead a rather active life hiking, dancing, organizing hiking/dancing activities, and directing programs out of the Appalachian Folk School that I built just outside Damascus.
      My goal for the conversations will be to answer questions concerning my hiking career over the last forty-two years to help clear up misconceptions. Better to hear it from the horse's mouth (than from the donkey's rear end).
      Being 'old school', I prefer face-to-face interaction but, in this case, cyberspace will have to suffice.
      Happy trails!
      Warren
      Warren you are one of my most favorite and inspirational folks I have known. Wish we had interacted more.....