Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

It's official: New reroute of the BMT in the Slickrock/Joyce Kilmer Wilderness

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It's official: New reroute of the BMT in the Slickrock/Joyce Kilmer Wilderness

Sorry I haven't been around here in a while. I've been drinking...

Reroute News
      or"Mabel, them North Carolina folks are at it agin!"

By Dick Evans

The route for any trail is a much more complex thing to determine than most folks would guess. While it is easy to draw a line on a map and say, "Let's put a Trail here," the reality is much different. Land ownership and usage issues, access, topography and other factors combine to make seemingly simple issues quite complex, involving at times many different "stakeholder" groups, with different goals and guidelines.

This was certainly the situation when the Benton MacKaye Trail was first being laid out. While the route within Georgia to the Ocoee River was fairly straight forward, beyond there was fraught with issues. Planners knew they wanted to get to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, there were very few ways this could be done. In addition, the GSMNP Policy of no new trail miles, in place since 1985, added difficulties to this process. While GSMNP folks were very helpful in the process, it became obvious in late 2013 that either we had to accept the 3.5 mile road walk from Deals Gap to Twentymile Ranger Station for many years, or find another route. In December, 1014 and January 2015, Ernie Engman and I scouted the old Yellow Creek Mountain Trail on the south side of the Little Tennessee River drainage on land owned by the Forest Service, and found that, although unmaintained for years, it could be cleared and provide a great path to the Park. In addition, the Forest Service had kept the route on their active trail list, so no detailed environmental assessment was needed. As readers know, the Yellow Creek Reroute was approved and cleared within an astounding 7 months last year, providing hikers a safe and beautiful route between the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness and the National Park.

Likewise, the route chosen through the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness was first requested to go over Stratton Bald, Haoe, past the Hangover, one of the premier viewpoints in the southern Appalachians, and down to Big Fat Gap and hence out at Slickrock Creek Trailhead. However, the final route was to follow Fodderstack Ridge north from the Cherohala to Farr Gap, then down to cross Slickrock Creek and out. While normally this crossing does not present a problem, there are times when the water rises and becomes too high to cross safely. Avoiding this crossing involves a lengthy detour and has presented the Graham County Search and Rescue Team with a number of cases of hikers stranded on the Tennessee Side of the Creek. Even Rick Harris, longtime Tennessee/North Carolina Maintenance Director for the BMTA, expressed his concern for hiker safety due to this route, although deep in designated Wilderness as it is, there were no options to make this crossing safer. Our Section Hiking Guide and Ernie Engman's Thru Hikers Guide included bypass directions in an attempt to provide a safe alternative to this in cases of high water.

Many of you know that the Nantahala National Forest is involved in the process of reviewing and altering the forest management plan for their territory, and part of this process to to examine existing trails and determine if they need alterations. During one of the "breakout" sessions of these meeting, USFS Officials from the Cheaoh Ranger District expressed their concern about that crossing after the Graham County Search and Rescue folks pointed out the number of "rescues" they have made at that area. BMTA Past President Dick Evans, present at that meeting, was asked about rerouting that section of trail. Being nothing if not an opportunist, Dick pointed out that the original route bypassed this crossing and indeed was a much more scenic route following the eastern crest of the wilderness, and opined that such a reroute would in great likelihood be warmly received by the BMTA. It was decided at the meeting that Dick would present this issue to the BMTA, and the Cheaoh District would approach the Tellico Plains Ranger District with this proposal.

One concern by the BMTA was that we had a great relationship with the Tellico Plains District (as we do with all the Forest Service Districts thru which the Trail passes) and we did not want to jeopardize that by a reroute, but that the proposed routing was indeed a far better one than the current one. It did turn out that the Tellico Plains District had a similar concern with this crossing, and heartily endorsed the proposal as making a great safety improvement for hikers in the area. Quick approval by the BMTA followed, and confirmation was given to the Cheoah District about this new route. During this process, almost at the optimum time, the Tapoco Lodge, a great Bed and Breakfast bordering the Slickrock Wilderness, changed hands and the new ownership was very interested in hikers and active vacationers, and wanted to reopen the old trail from Yellowhammer Gap, on the edge of the Wilderness, down thru their property. This nicely added to the new BMT reroute, by allowing the Trail to pass right past a great "stop-off" point for hikers, and shortened the road walk on Route 129 to less than one hundred yards. Quick coordination between the BMTA and the Tapoco Lodge, greatly assisted by the Cheaoh Ranger District, resulted in a volunteer trip to clear that route from the Yellowhammer Gap to the Lodge.

The end result is that, effective February 27th, 2015, the Benton MacKaye Trail now follows the eastern crest of the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness, then down to the Tapoco Lodge, then out their gate and a short road walk, regaining the trail at the James Burchfield Trailhead on Meadowbranch Road, the starting point of the Yellow Creek Reroute. New signs are in the process of being ordered to properly mark this new route, and the new Tennessee/North Carolina Section Guide, as well as the new edition of the Thru Hikers Guide, will reflect the route described. While this new route will provide additional "opportunities" for wilderness maintenance, the scenic beauty of this new route, access to the Tapoco Lodge and shortening of the road walk, combine to make this a great hike.

Come try it!
    • For those that are interested I've attached a copy of the errata page to this post.

165.8 At Cold Spring Gap take trail #54A to Bob Bald.
      168.3 At Stratton Bald join trail #53 to Haoe Bald. Pass through Naked Ground.
      169.9 At Haoe Bald join trail #156 and hike past the side trail to the Hangover and the overlook.
      172.9 At Big Fat Gap join trail #400 and hike through Windy Gap.
      174.4 Join trail #44 and hike to Nichols Cove and the cemetery.
      175.3 At the cemetery join #149 and hike to Yellowhammer Gap.
      177.2 At Yellowhammer Gap take the newly re-opened trail down Yellowhammer Branch to Tapoco Lodge.
      179.1 At US 129 cross the road and start the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail.

This "new" trail takes you up over Bob Bald, Stratton Bald, Naked Ground, past the Hangover and the Overlook down to Big Fat Gap. From there it goes out Windy Gap Trail through Windy Gap and then down to Nichols Cove where it goes along Yellowhammer Gap trail to Yellowhammer Gap. At the gap an old FS road has been reopened as trail to the newly re-opened and hiker friendly Tapoco Lodge.
      Files
    • SGT Rock wrote:

For those that are interested I've attached a copy of the errata page to this post.

165.8 At Cold Spring Gap take trail #54A to Bob Bald.
      168.3 At Stratton Bald join trail #53 to Haoe Bald. Pass through Naked Ground.
      169.9 At Haoe Bald join trail #156 and hike past the side trail to the Hangover and the overlook.
      172.9 At Big Fat Gap join trail #400 and hike through Windy Gap.
      174.4 Join trail #44 and hike to Nichols Cove and the cemetery.
      175.3 At the cemetery join #149 and hike to Yellowhammer Gap.
      177.2 At Yellowhammer Gap take the newly re-opened trail down Yellowhammer Branch to Tapoco Lodge.
      179.1 At US 129 cross the road and start the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail.

This "new" trail takes you up over Bob Bald, Stratton Bald, Naked Ground, past the Hangover and the Overlook down to Big Fat Gap. From there it goes out Windy Gap Trail through Windy Gap and then down to Nichols Cove where it goes along Yellowhammer Gap trail to Yellowhammer Gap. At the gap an old FS road has been reopened as trail to the newly re-opened and hiker friendly Tapoco Lodge.

Just reading some of those "interesting" names has me looking forward to hiking the BMT some day in the future. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Dang, I just realized I have to deduct the mileage from Farr Gap to Big Fodderstack. On a good note, I can add a little bit because I've already hiked to Bob Bald. And I don't have to go back and hike 18 miles to get the 3 miles that I missed from Cherry Log Gap to the other side of Big Fodderstack. :)
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• On to other news. With all the recent changes to the BMT, I need to start editing the BMT Thru-Hikers guide for an earlier than normal update. That said, I need a new cover photo. If you have a good BMT trail photo with hiker(s) in it, please send it to me so I have some to pick from.thanks.
    • SGT Rock wrote:

On to other news. With all the recent changes to the BMT, I need to start editing the BMT Thru-Hikers guide for an earlier than normal update. That said, I need a new cover photo. If you have a good BMT trail photo with hiker(s) in it, please send it to me so I have some to pick from.thanks.

with hikers in it? nobody hikes there.
      Images
      • bmtat2014 476.JPG

301.41 kB, 800×600, viewed 451 times
      • bmtat2014 529.JPG

233.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 468 times
      • bmtat2014 636.JPG

272.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 525 times
      • bmtat2014 639.JPG

295.78 kB, 800×600, viewed 474 times
      • bmtat2014 665.JPG

306.69 kB, 800×600, viewed 493 times
      its all good
    • I do like that one of Rasty before the tunnel to nowhere. So far that is the best of the ones I've seen. The other violates my own informal rule to not use myself in any cover. It creates funny moments when people have seen one of the previous covers and either think I am supposed to look like Tipi Walter or Mags. What I would really like is to have a photo of a hiker on one of the new sections highlights.
    • SGT Rock wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

So what happens to the old trail?

I think they sell it on the used market.
      I think it is going up on e-bay.

But seriously, it is going to be an "approve alternate route" to the BMT. The trail signs will still be there.

I LOVE "approved alternative routes".
      It drives the purist insane trying to cope with the concept of two legitimate options.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • SGT Rock wrote:

I do like that one of Rasty before the tunnel to nowhere. So far that is the best of the ones I've seen. The other violates my own informal rule to not use myself in any cover. It creates funny moments when people have seen one of the previous covers and either think I am supposed to look like Tipi Walter or Mags. What I would really like is to have a photo of a hiker on one of the new sections highlights.

That is Hikerboy in that picture
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • SGT Rock wrote:

I do like that one of Rasty before the tunnel to nowhere. So far that is the best of the ones I've seen. The other violates my own informal rule to not use myself in any cover. It creates funny moments when people have seen one of the previous covers and either think I am supposed to look like Tipi Walter or Mags. What I would really like is to have a photo of a hiker on one of the new sections highlights.

That would be a little freaky if you looked like Tipi or Mags :) . I think the photo of you, HB, and Rasty is perfect. That gets my vote.
    • The second pic made me think immediately of the walk down to the campsite we had at Addis Gap (a spur trail off the AT).
      That's Rasty's pics 2nd pic not HB's.
      Many of the pics made me reminisce. I am getting old I think. I went through a lot of trailjournal entries and photos lately. A smattering of mine and others. I think I need a hike.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

The second pic made me think immediately of the walk down to the campsite we had at Addis Gap (a spur trail off the AT).
      That's Rasty's pics 2nd pic not HB's.
      Many of the pics made me reminisce. I am getting old I think. I went through a lot of trailjournal entries and photos lately. A smattering of mine and others. I think I need a hike.

That section was really nice. It was drizzling must if that day.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

SGT Rock wrote:

That is Hikerboy in that picture
      My bad. I was drinking when I wrote that.
    • The bypass trail goes across the river below the dam. Basically go down hill from the gas station in Fontana village and cross the road bridge then hang a right. The bypass comes back out onto the AT/BMT on the paved road that goes up hill from the dam.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I'm thinking about doing a loop of the old route and the reroute starting at Tapoco Lodge. My concern is fording Slickrock creek after all the rain we've had.

An alternative would be to take the new BMT to Big Fat Gap and cut across to Big Stack Gap on trails 41, 42, and 139 (?) then head to Bob Bald.

Opinions? Does anyone know what 41, 42, and 139 are like?
    • hikerboy wrote:

don't try to ford slickrock creek until the rain stops for a few days.
      I won't. After thinking about it, I think I'll take 42 near Tapoco Lodge to Wildcat Falls then to Big Stack Gap via 139. Am I correct that trail 42 from Wildcat Falls to Naked Ground is the section known at the ballbuster?
      Images
      • image.jpg

80.79 kB, 375×600, viewed 918 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

don't try to ford slickrock creek until the rain stops for a few days.
      I won't. After thinking about it, I think I'll take 42 near Tapoco Lodge to Wildcat Falls then to Big Stack Gap via 139. Am I correct that trail 42 from Wildcat Falls to Naked Ground is the section known at the ballbuster?
      forget it, that won't work, I'll still have to ford the creek.